Digital Art Zone

1 of 5
Lighting Tutorial by Laticis Imagery - Pretty good
Posted: 21 April 2013 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  392
Joined  2011-05-27

I just wanted to share the results I got after getting that tutorial by Laticis Imagery.  I must say, it’s an excellent beginning for lighting.  What do you guys think of this picture?  This is straight out of DS4 with no post work.  It is Hitomi with one of the Hitomi Candy textures and her day dress.

Image Attachments
hitomi.jpg
 Signature 

DAZ Studio 4 Pro user, Poser Pro 2012 user, Bryce 7 Pro user, Vue 8 Complete user, Photoshop CS4 user.

Posted: 21 April 2013 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2005-03-04

I think you did a great job!  I had to go find the product because I wasn’t familiar with it.  Looks like you achieved results just like the example except for the skin types (realistic vs. toon).  Now it’s sitting in my cart!  lol

Posted: 21 April 2013 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7838
Joined  2009-05-14

Here is the link for anyone else interested in the product http://www.daz3d.com/portrait-lighting-tutorial-for-ds4

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 21 April 2013 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-27

Thanks Szark.  I should have provided a link.  LOL

One thing he does point out is not to ignore the textures either.  You can play around with the textures to get different effects but I really do like this light setup.  I thinking you can change the colors of the lights to whatever you want, up or lower the intensity, etc.  It’s a pretty nice beginning setup.

Signature 

DAZ Studio 4 Pro user, Poser Pro 2012 user, Bryce 7 Pro user, Vue 8 Complete user, Photoshop CS4 user.

Posted: 21 April 2013 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

My pleasure.

And Laticis is right to point out that textures/surfaces play a big part in getting good results, even if you aren’t wanting realism you can still bring a scene to life with tweaking the surfaces and with good lighting.

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 21 April 2013 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-03-04

Hope no one thinks what I said was a criticism.  I just meant that the two characters do have different types of skin textures originally.  I swear each day I lose more of my ability to communicate effectively.  downer

Posted: 21 April 2013 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-14

I didn’t read it like that. smile

i always set my skin surfaces up in white light then once I get close to what I want I then change the light colour. smile

Signature 

Pete

My Gallery

Posted: 21 April 2013 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4202
Joined  2011-11-25
Muon Quark - 21 April 2013 08:45 AM

I just wanted to share the results I got after getting that tutorial by Laticis Imagery.  I must say, it’s an excellent beginning for lighting.  What do you guys think of this picture?  This is straight out of DS4 with no post work.  It is Hitomi with one of the Hitomi Candy textures and her day dress.

This looks very nice. I have the tutorial in my wish list. I will probably buy it at some point.

Posted: 21 April 2013 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-27
SiennaBlue - 21 April 2013 11:13 AM

Hope no one thinks what I said was a criticism.  I just meant that the two characters do have different types of skin textures originally.  I swear each day I lose more of my ability to communicate effectively.  downer

No no, not at all.  I knew exactly what you were saying.  Toon/Manga skins are very different from textures like Bree, Valerie, etc.  I didn’t take it as a criticism so don’t worry.  She could use a little more shine though.  LOL

grin

Signature 

Posted: 21 April 2013 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-03-04

Thanks, you guys.  smile  I did buy this and am looking forward to trying it out thanks to this thread.  Chalk up a sale for Muon Quark.  wink

Posted: 21 April 2013 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-27

Here’s another with Sadie.  Same lighting setup except for a higher intensity.

Image Attachments
sadie.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 21 April 2013 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1739
Joined  2012-04-14

Pictures are great.

I personally would have liked more information about why you were doing certain things, rather than “do this” and then the “oh you’ll only really learn if you play”. If I had bought it at full price I would have returned it. I’d recommend Blondie’s lighting tutorial for those seeking more info.

Posted: 21 April 2013 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  272
Joined  2007-04-05

Hi Muon Clark,

Glad to see you getting good results, well done.

The tutorial is designed for one thing in mind, to give you a strong lighting foundation from which to build off.

Did you find it easy enough to follow ?

I wanted it as simple and clean as possible so as not to over complicate the process.

Cheers Laticis

Signature 

http://laticis.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 22 April 2013 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-27
Laticis - 21 April 2013 10:06 PM

Hi Muon Clark,

Glad to see you getting good results, well done.

The tutorial is designed for one thing in mind, to give you a strong lighting foundation from which to build off.

Did you find it easy enough to follow ?

I wanted it as simple and clean as possible so as not to over complicate the process.

Cheers Laticis

I found it very easy to follow and was happy that such a simple set up gave great results.  I can see that it will be easy to modify to get different results.  Thanks for making a great tutorial!

grin

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2013 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  272
Joined  2007-04-05

Your welcome Muon Quark, thank you smile

Signature 

http://laticis.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 23 April 2013 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3520
Joined  2012-02-06

My opinion, based on my first efforts: the tutorial provides easy-to-follow instructions on putting together a light setup that delivers excellent results, more or less on par with some of the best professionally-made light presets I’ve used. It’s very satisfying to be able to assemble the lights on my own, and I look forward to tinkering with the various settings in order to make lighting appropriate for a variety of different scenes. I did know a lot of the things covered in the tutorial pretty well already, but the new things I learned seem very helpful and important, and well worth the price, given the resulting renders. Overall I’m very satisfied with this tutorial.

One criticism is that some of the “fine print” (for instance, the render settings in step 2) can be very difficult to read.

I hope we’ll see a follow-up to this! Either another lighting tut, or something focusing on skin materials settings, perhaps?

Image Attachments
laticis-squirrel1a.jpglaticis-squirrel1b.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

1 of 5