Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Slosh’s Work.  Just another render thread.
Posted: 21 April 2013 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1294
Joined  2005-03-16

Well, as we all know, our renders can got lost in fast moving threads.  I posted a pic of David 5 rendered in Lux via Luxus and I was surprised that it didn’t get a single comment. 

David 5 with default texture, Xavior hair, necklace from Effortless Cool and an earring, with a pose from the David 5 Fashion Poses set.  The full render continues lower, but due to TOS I couldn’t show the hairy parts.  You can see the full render in my dA gallery, link in the signature.

Image Attachments
D5.png
 Signature 

My DAZ Store Page    My Facebook Fan Page    My Twitter Account    Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 21 April 2013 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Wow, 21 views and not a single comment.  I’m starting to get a complex here.  Not to mention, just tried to join a dA group and was told the image was progressing “reasonably well.”  Huh?  It runs circles around most of the other images of the same theme in that group.

Signature 

My DAZ Store Page    My Facebook Fan Page    My Twitter Account    Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 21 April 2013 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6492
Joined  2012-09-10

Hey Slosh- What I think is going on (at least what gave me FITS) is I was logged in yet there was no way to post a comment- all the features were gone from the bottom of the textbox. It’s the same ole, same ole, where it says you are logged in and yet you’re not, and I had to log in and out SIX times before the post comment option appeared.

Let me first say, I love the tiny “nuances” such as the glimmer on the earring, and that one little teeny hair on the forehead. AWESOME!  I like the tone of the ambient light (not sure if I am using the right term, it’s the overall light without a strong source) and his mood seems pensive but relaxed too. I guess he likes being in the buff, lol!

Very nice work!  Hopefully others aren’t getting locked out like I was. This is impressive smile  I like this David.
EDIT: and agree about the hair- it looks incredibly real to me.

Cathie

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #4   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 21 April 2013 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
Novica - 21 April 2013 11:36 PM

Hey Slosh- What I think is going on (at least what gave me FITS) is I was logged in yet there was no way to post a comment- all the features were gone from the bottom of the textbox. It’s the same ole, same ole, where it says you are logged in and yet you’re not, and I had to log in and out SIX times before the post comment option appeared.

Let me first say, I love the tiny “nuances” such as the glimmer on the earring, and that one little teeny hair on the forehead. AWESOME!  I like the tone of the ambient light (not sure if I am using the right term, it’s the overall light without a strong source) and his mood seems pensive but relaxed too. I guess he likes being in the buff, lol!

Very nice work!  Hopefully others aren’t getting locked out like I was. This is impressive smile  I like this David.
EDIT: and agree about the hair- it looks incredibly real to me.

Cathie

Thanks, Cathie! 

As for the forum being screwy, I thought it was just me.  I have been having so much trouble, the last few days especially.  I even restarted my computer thinking my network card needed resetting.

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2013 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

Since it’s 1am here, a lot of people aren’t up so I have you all to myself (lol)
What’s the difference in rendering in Lux vs Luxus? (I haven’t used either.)  What do you like better about Lux? I did go to your D.Art section too. Are those with Luxus?

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 22 April 2013 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
Novica - 22 April 2013 12:02 AM

Since it’s 1am here, a lot of people aren’t up so I have you all to myself (lol)
What’s the difference in rendering in Lux vs Luxus? (I haven’t used either.)  What do you like better about Lux? I did go to your D.Art section too. Are those with Luxus?

Most of the images on my dA gallery are Lux renders, except those in folders marked by their software (ZBrush, Lightwave, etc.).  I don’t think I posted anything rendered straight out of DAZ Studio.  I just got Luxus a couple of weeks ago, and I have only been on dA for about a month.

“What’s the difference in rendering in Lux vs. Luxus?”  Actually, to clarify, Luxus is the plugin for DAZ Studio that allows you to render in LuxRender (Lux for short).  Lux is a separate renderer, which is free, but does not have it’s own interface.  In other words, you can’t load figures and clothing and scenes directly into it and start rendering.  You do all of that in Studio, then use Luxus to “send” it over to Lux.

Lux treats light more like the real world, bouncing it off of every pixel (more or less) in your scene to capture every shadow, reflection, highlight, whatever.  It makes the renders much more realistic than 3delight in Studio, but it does take an enormous amount of time to get a fully realized render.  In fact, it renders until you decide you are satisfied and then you stop it.  I did one render for 30 hours, and it was just one Freak in a blank room.  There are faster settings, though.  I did the same scene with a different setting and got passable results in 1/2 hour, and equal results in 3 hours.  But that was only because my scene was so simple.  If I had a fully filled scene, with glass and metal and multiple characters, etc., I would be forced to use the longer render method because the simple method simply would not catch all of the details going on.

I really like Lux, and I like Luxus.  There is another plugin you may have heard about called Reality 2 for LuxRender.  Same idea as Luxus, but with a different interface and from what I hear, less options for controlling your materials.  I don’t remember what Luxus costs right now, but it is a real bargain as far as I am concerned.  I haven’t used 3delight since.  Would I recommend it?  Absolutely.

I’ve exchanged with you in other threads, so your name is not new to me.  Do you have a gallery?  What is your main style or interest in your art?  I like to go for realism, and I enjoy male subjects mainly because most forums are overly saturated with female imagery.  You probably will see very few Sci-Fi or Fantasy renders from me, but I do like to look at others when they are done well.  It’s just not something I have a talent for.  Like horror… on ZBrushCentral I was a bit of a popular contributor for some time, even beta tested.  But, as the professional industry took over the forum, my stuff looked like child’s play.  And I can’t model a monster to save my life.  In my dA gallery there is a Zombie picture.  Scariest thing I was able to make and it looks silly.  tongue rolleye

Well, I bet right about now you are wishing you hadn’t gotten me talking!  It’s 2:22 here, and I am getting to my punchy, sleepy, babbly stage.  I will be more than happy to answer any questions that I can.  As you see, I love to talk.

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2013 01:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/19756/P150/#307046 is my Art Studio, and I’m only on my second render- EVER, lol. I’m, um, the best way to put it- doing lights my way, experimenting- taking my time. I am developing a series to teach children how to read, so it will be a story, with video to pronounce the words, etc. So right now, it’s a mix of cartoon and real folks- having fun with it. One of my dragons is a real imp, going to get into all kids of humorous trouble.

My studio also links to the best tips, tutorials, and FYI stuff to help everyone, so of course I’ve directed folks over to you for Lux/Luxus questions. Have fun! (evil cackle.)  Yep, I recognized you from the forums too smile

Scroll down from that linked section and you’ll see your reference. Be prepared…be very prepared..(lol, hundreds surf in a week. You might get busy… your work is very good!)

Cathie

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 22 April 2013 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  706
Joined  2012-07-21

Great render, Slosh.
The skin and the hair came out fantastic, the reflections on the earring and the necklace complement the pic nicely.
Only nitpick i can find is his left eye, there’s something about the iris that doesn’t look right.

Signature 

my freebies at ShareCG
me at DeviantArt

Posted: 22 April 2013 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-10
BlackFeather1973 - 22 April 2013 02:18 AM

Great render, Slosh.
The skin and the hair came out fantastic, the reflections on the earring and the necklace complement the pic nicely.
Only nitpick i can find is his left eye, there’s something about the iris that doesn’t look right.

I see what you mean when I click to enlarge. It’s like a diagonal line that eliminates the iris.

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 22 April 2013 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

That’s where I remember you from!  Yes, I saw your Art Studio thread and the woman hugging the little dragons (?)  I now also remember some of the questions you had in various threads.  Well, that is great.  I’m a big advocate for reading, and I have had the joy of teaching both my niece and nephew how to read.  They lived with me during their toddler/kindergarten years while my sister dealt with some personal issues.

I know you mentioned learning lights your way, in your time, but if you have any questions I will try to help.  DAZ Studio lighting can get simple once it “clicks” and really add to your scene.  In fact, combined with the correct material settings, they totally make your scene.

I don’t mind the link, in fact I appreciate it.  The more people ask me, the more I keep the information fresh in my brain and I often have to go experiment to get them an answer, which helps me grow and learn.  And it’s very nice of you to say that my work is very good.  Most artwork that I have to share with people is from the first year or two of my interest in CG.  Everything else, I’ve mostly deleted or hidden because I am over critical.

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2013 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Great render, Slosh.

I know, right!?  That is one of 2 things that bug me most about the render.  The other is the dark streaks along the outside edges of his arms and shoulders.  Luckily, since this render, I have figured out the problem and my next render, which is posted below, does not have this problem.

Thanks for the comments and for not being shy about the “nitpick.”  Can’t grow if you don’t know.  Hmm, I may add that quote to my signature.

Image Attachments
Sean_Fire_Metropolis.png
 Signature 

Posted: 26 April 2013 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

The Honeymoon.

Just another render in Lux.  Trying to get more complicated scenes.  This one actually had lights in the wall sconces, which really lent a better mood to the image, but the bright white of the “bulbs” was unbearable.  Plus, with only sconce lighting and a chandelier overhead, the render was extremely inefficient and had very very low S/p (only about 38) after 2 hours.  Would have taken ages to render to finish.  I will work on those problems and maybe resubmit this at a later date.

Edit Apr. 28:  I have allowed my original lighting scheme to continue rendering, then did a bit of mixing in Photoshop to produce the final render, which is shown in the 2nd image.

Image Attachments
The_Honeymoon.pngThe_Honeymoon_Redux.png
 Signature 

Posted: 26 April 2013 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Great render, Slosh.

Now that a few days have passed and I have worked with David a bit more, I realized the problem with the iris is that the textures are for a different UV set then what I had used.  So, they are not lined up properly and do not look round.  Just have to make sure to check UVs before rendering in the future.

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2013 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2009-06-28
Slosh - 26 April 2013 06:38 PM

Great render, Slosh.

Now that a few days have passed and I have worked with David a bit more, I realized the problem with the iris is that the textures are for a different UV set then what I had used.  So, they are not lined up properly and do not look round.  Just have to make sure to check UVs before rendering in the future.

Oooooh yes, this has happened to me before… smile

By the way, I like the composition of the “Honeymoon” one a lot. smile

Posted: 27 April 2013 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
Mavrosh - 27 April 2013 12:35 PM

Great render, Slosh.

Thank-you.  I had other ideas for the lighting, as I mentioned above, but didn’t have the patience to work them out.  Soon… lol.

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2013 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  68
Joined  2009-06-28
Slosh - 27 April 2013 03:05 PM
Mavrosh - 27 April 2013 12:35 PM

Great render, Slosh.

Thank-you.  I had other ideas for the lighting, as I mentioned above, but didn’t have the patience to work them out.  Soon… lol.

Oh, many times I start with an idea inside my head and at the end I end up having something completely else, hahaha…

1 of 3