Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Advice please on what plug in would I need to do this? :) Also how to do pencil effect in procedurals?
Posted: 15 June 2012 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1990
Joined  2008-01-28

3DAGE,

thanks very much what a great shader!
that is a great start - it looks like pencil smile
Filter Forge I’d forgotten about :(  Ill go and revisit!

here’s a render I used it on, an old B9 model of mine

have you seen http://www.optikvervelabs.com/ very nice stuff.

BrianP21361

thanks smile the artist is very good, I wonder where he gets his models from?  He is worth emulating I think. Or learning from at least.

BC Rice

thanks for that link. i’m looking more for the pencil look but I downloaded the india ink plugin after that. looks useful! His work is good. smile

Image Attachments
pumicgoldengirl.jpg
 Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 15 June 2012 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

DANGER Will Robinson smile

Thanks Head wax smile
That looks better than I though it would smile

Nice software find. smile
that’s like Nik Colour effects Pro,. But free,. I like that price.

Nice filters

Image Attachments
VP_temple_5.jpg

Posted: 16 June 2012 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2005-09-04

check out photo sketcher it’s free and does quick overall photo minipulation

Posted: 16 June 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2008-08-29
head wax - 13 June 2012 07:10 PM

I’m doing some illustrations with Carrara and I would like an effect where the light source washes out the texture but doesn’t give me pure white.

IE the maximum highlight might be a light grey , but at this point there would be no texture showing.

Any advice on what plug ins if anything or settings in Carrara to do this?

I am rendering mat objects that wouldn’t work if they looked shiny

edit also looking for advice (after Dougs’ comment) on making a pencil effect with procedurals smile

thanks in advance

After reading the thread I don’t think I understood your question properly, but what I did think of was a digital carver’s plugin that lets you take final render and do things based on that. I don’t think what I wrote makes sense and I don’t have an example handy, but to try and restate: what it allows you to do is have carrara do a render of a pixel and use that information to determine how it should *really* be rendered. It is slow as a result, but was the only way I could find to get a particular effect in Carrara.

Honestly, if you are considering getting anything from digital carvers—email him. He knows his products in and out and has given me good advice.

Signature 

Swamp Living Never Felt So Good

Posted: 16 June 2012 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  198
Joined  2005-08-31

Head Wax and 3DAge,

Both images look amazing. Can you recap exactly how youdid them. The thread is a little hard to follow. Mayne it’s just me. I’m assuming you did a normal render in Carrara and then post processed them in VirtualPhotographer.

Posted: 16 June 2012 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Brian smile

That’s about it..
I rendered the full colour image in Carrara,.. then ran it through “virtual photographer” in photoshop,
just clicking through the different pre-sets, playing with it.
I think I used “Steely satin”, and changed the film grain to 800 ASA.

The scene is a little Greek temple I’m building,.. or destroying, smile
Pics..
Colour original , post processed in virtual photographer , post processed with my own filters infilter forge

Image Attachments
M4_temple.jpg
M4_temple_post.jpg
M4_temple_post2.jpg

Posted: 16 June 2012 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1990
Joined  2008-01-28

sorry :( wasn’t informed of new posts in email….

lovely images 3dage, like that middle one especially,
that software also does a nice 1600 asa as well. BTW great destroyed temple! those Greeks should have used more glue smile

gaffer2, thanks that Fotosketcher does a good job!

thoromyr, I will email him, great idea!

Brian, thanks smile I used 3dage’s shader on ‘everything’, put a semi transparent vertical plane behind the robot to add backgroud texture, (you can see where it meets the ground at the shadow, rendered with shadows at say 50 percent and some ambient occulison I think, in post I use Fotosketcehr to add a little pencil work then adjusted the layer transparency between original render and Fotosketcher render to taste, then I ran it through ‘pumicegoldengirl’ (where do they get these names?) filter in that software I posted above (opticverve?)

with Fotosketcehr you can copy image to clip board via the edit menu, great time saver, saves saving each file (which I have been doing for a while till I twigged :(

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

2 of 2