Digital Art Zone

7 of 18
Luxus Skin Settings
Posted: 30 April 2013 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  623
Joined  2006-10-01

Yeah, I am exagereating the SSS for the regular lighting. Not for realistic translucency on back light. I’ll do a separate presete just for that.
What I want to achieve first is something more organic for common lighting stuations.
I’ll start by adjusting the redish tone. smile
Thanks!

Signature 

Simplified guide to Genesis content creation.

My gallery.

Posted: 30 April 2013 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-10-01
Michael_G - 30 April 2013 01:49 AM

@hellboy looks like there’s a lot of red?

my settings for Derek 5

Thank you. I’ll take a look. Glad I’m not the only one ignoring the scattering. I was felling guilty. smile

Signature 

My gallery.

Posted: 30 April 2013 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-10-01

How about this update? Made it less red.

Image Attachments
Phillip_Luxus_Test2.jpg
 Signature 

My gallery.

Posted: 30 April 2013 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4690
Joined  2004-08-11

Skin tone looks very natural.  Very similar to mine!  Us Irish or partially Irish will always have a bit of a ruddiness to the skin.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 30 April 2013 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-10-01

Thanks. I’m happy with the warm one myself, but I’d like to be faithful to Phillip’s 3Delight and also do something people would want to use.

I think I’ll have to rework the SSS, I want something subtle but noticeable and that shows on the whole body. Right now I only get i to show on the limbs, the absorption seems like its not reaching the torso.
So I have to exaggerate it a bit and end with translucent limbs. :/

Signature 

My gallery.

Posted: 30 April 2013 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4690
Joined  2004-08-11

Your a perfectionist.  I know all about that!  lol

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 30 April 2013 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1454
Joined  2005-03-16
Hellboy - 30 April 2013 01:51 PM

Thanks. I’m happy with the warm one myself, but I’d like to be faithful to Phillip’s 3Delight and also do something people would want to use.

I think I’ll have to rework the SSS, I want something subtle but noticeable and that shows on the whole body. Right now I only get i to show on the limbs, the absorption seems like its not reaching the torso.
So I have to exaggerate it a bit and end with translucent limbs. :/

Have you tried different scales for the limbs vs. the torso?  I wonder if that would leave us with visible differences at render time.  I did a render last night without volume at all and it looked pretty good.  I’m starting to wonder if we even need to use it.  Talk about a complete turn around.

Either way, I like both Test 1 and Test 2, for different reasons.  I would use either depending on the rest of my scene.

Signature 

My DAZ Store Page  UVSetterGen2  Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 30 April 2013 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-10-01

All my Reality renders were without volume. I was happy without it. But something I like about Luxus is all the options it provides. I want to make the most of it. I like the volume options, but I need to find a right balance. smile

Signature 

My gallery.

Posted: 30 April 2013 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-10-01

This is a closeup. Problem is the SSS washed out some texture detail and the translucency is weird.
I’ve had good results by placing the diffuse maps in the Transmission Color to retain some detail. Will post those later.

Image Attachments
luxrender_cara.jpg
 Signature 

My gallery.

Posted: 30 April 2013 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
Hellboy - 30 April 2013 03:38 PM

This is a closeup. Problem is the SSS washed out some texture detail and the translucency is weird.
I’ve had good results by placing the diffuse maps in the Transmission Color to retain some detail. Will post those later.

I’ve been doing the same in Transmission Color.  It helps a great deal in restoring texture detail.  LuxDocs say not to use TransColor when using volumes, but I never listen. 

I’m not seeing any problem with the renders you have been sharing, in fact I quite like the skin you are getting.  Just curious, what is your glossy translucent absorption scale setting?  It seems the higher I go with that, the more texture I see and the less Fresnel sort of effect.  I have gone as high as 0.8 for some characters with a paler gta color, but as low as .25 with a darker gta color.

Signature 

My DAZ Store Page  UVSetterGen2  Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 30 April 2013 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  174
Joined  2005-06-23

Subsurface scattering is supposed to be that little extra element that adds that little pop to your skin textures. SSS should add to your base texture, not re-color or overpower it. So far most of the stuff I’ve seen you guys doing is the opposite of that. F5 Andrei? Totally pale white boy. M5 Phillip? I wouldn’t call him pale but he’s not very dark/tan either. I’d think of him more as your average white boy. The key is to use just a touch of SSS. If we where rendering with 3Delight I’d be using UbS/UbS2 and I wouldn’t be setting my SSS above 10% unless I wanted to create something exotic looking. In LuxRender you don’t have a simple slider but there are ways to make sure you only get a touch of SSS.

Volume - Absorption Scale: The higher you set this, the less effect the Absorption Color is going to have on your texture and the less variation between arms, legs, body etc.

Volume - Scattering Scale: While this is dependent on the Absorption Scale the bottom line is the lower the Scale the less effect the Scattering Color will have.

In checking how Luxus auto-converts skin I’ve found an extremely high Absorption Scale (2250) coupled with a very low Scattering scale (4). I’m not saying these numbers should be taken as gospel but they still seem like better starting point than some of the other numbers I’ve seen being tossed around.

This experiment uses Danae’s Dublin texture, a very pale Irish lass.
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/the-metropolitan-collection—-dublin-v4-2/90599/
I’m pretty happy with her skin tone. The level of detail of the skin and the look of the clothes and hair, not so much.

Image Attachments
Dublin3_1.52Vista_.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/inaneglory

Posted: 30 April 2013 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
InaneGlory - 30 April 2013 07:54 PM

Subsurface scattering is supposed to be that little extra element that adds that little pop to your skin textures. SSS should add to your base texture, not re-color or overpower it. So far most of the stuff I’ve seen you guys doing is the opposite of that. F5 Andrei? Totally pale white boy. M5 Phillip? I wouldn’t call him pale but he’s not very dark/tan either. I’d think of him more as your average white boy. The key is to use just a touch of SSS. If we where rendering with 3Delight I’d be using UbS/UbS2 and I wouldn’t be setting my SSS above 10% unless I wanted to create something exotic looking. In LuxRender you don’t have a simple slider but there are ways to make sure you only get a touch of SSS.

Volume - Absorption Scale: The higher you set this, the less effect the Absorption Color is going to have on your texture and the less variation between arms, legs, body etc.

Volume - Scattering Scale: While this is dependent on the Absorption Scale the bottom line is the lower the Scale the less effect the Scattering Color will have.

In checking how Luxus auto-converts skin I’ve found an extremely high Absorption Scale (2250) coupled with a very low Scattering scale (4). I’m not saying these numbers should be taken as gospel but they still seem like better starting point than some of the other numbers I’ve seen being tossed around.

This experiment uses Danae’s Dublin texture, a very pale Irish lass.
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/the-metropolitan-collection—-dublin-v4-2/90599/
I’m pretty happy with her skin tone. The level of detail of the skin and the look of the clothes and hair, not so much.

I regretfully have to disagree with everything you’ve written.  I’ve tried settings like you are giving, and I think they look very unrealistic, as does the lovely Irish lass below.  She looks cartoonish and not at all realistic.  There is no bump to her skin and no natural sheen.  I’m not saying by any means that the experiments I/we have shown so far are realistic, but they are much closer in my opinion. 

I dislike the fact that I don’t agree with you.  I really do not like being negative, however to say that the numbers being “tossed around” are less accurate than what you are providing is only a matter of taste.  Your taste.  If we were looking for flat, washed out renders we would not being experimenting so much with getting a good combination, we would just go ahead and use 3delight.  Or Poser 5.

I hope my comments don’t come across as too extreme or discourage you from sharing in this thread.  I just countered your critiques with the same candor that you used in your post.

Signature 

Posted: 30 April 2013 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-10-01

I think the lady looks a bit dull indeed, but she’s fine… but I totally hate Dublin.

Anyway, here are the settings so far. But everything is just an experiment so far, so the presets probably will be very different. If someone wants to improve them and “toss around the numbers”, please do so.

Image Attachments
Phillip_settings.jpg
 Signature 

My gallery.

Posted: 30 April 2013 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Eye and skin setting experiments.  I used a geoshell for the eye, but I don’t know that I couldn’t get the same result just using the glossy settings on the eye.  I don’t like the tear settings, but will work on that.

Image Attachments
Eyes.png
 Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2013 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2012-03-02

Genesis eyes are proving to be a problem due to there being no eye surface material, I got reasonable results using a geo shell.

Signature 

http://michaelg1234.deviantart.com/

Noob with a big heart.

7 of 18