Decided to try a female texture this time. I spent about 4 or 5 hours fiddling with volume and glossy translucent settings again, trying to unlock the mysteries. I started with the model completely texture free (just white), then added the glossy-translucent with volume to all body and head materials. I did a render, which just looked like a body made up of tiny dust particles. I then colored volume absorption to a very obnoxious green and started increasing the volume absorption strength until my volume looked more solid and had the green color visible. That was at about 150. I then did the same with volume scattering and a bright red color. Again, 150 was the magic number. As soon as I changed the volume absorption color to be more flesh-like, the effects on the volume were no longer visible. What I discovered is, depending on the color of the volume you are going for, higher or lower scale settings would be needed. I ended up settling at 100 for both the absorption strength and the scatter scale. But, this would not last for long.
As soon as I added the character textures to the diffuse channel, the scattering and volume absorption were not strong enough to be noticed. I increased them both to 500 but that was too much. Final setting, 100 for v. abs scale, 250 for scattering scale.
I put the texture map in both the gt-diffuse and the gt-transmission channels, with the color at RGB 225,225,255 to prevent blowout. For specular color, I was using a pretty specific specular map, so I decided not to use IOR but instead rely on the specular color and the roughness settings. Bump maps were set to strength of .001 on the face and .002 on the body. I experimented with increasing these amounts, but even the slightest increases were too extreme.
Finally, I added in the glossy-translucent absorption. I tried darker colors and lighter colors, as well as colors that would not come out as flesh, but finally settled on a medium blue. Different depths were tried as well, but again .40 seemed to be most appropriate for my girl.
I then spent a lot of time working on the eyes, which came out really good in tests, but I think might be too shiny in the attached image.
I was surprised to see how chapped her lips look, so I will have to readdress that in my next testing session. So, all that being said (I talk too much) here is my attempt at female skin. BTW, I used Bree for V5 as the texture.
Click thumbnail to see full-size image