Digital Art Zone

4 of 17
Luxus Skin Settings
Posted: 21 April 2013 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1344
Joined  2005-03-16

Here is the latest and greatest.  David 5, Sean texture.  No cotton balls in the right ear this time.  Funny, since buying David a few days ago, this is the first time I have tried anything but the default texture.  Love the Sean character.  I also tried to get a little more into setting up a real scene for Lux.  I used displacement, changed all the mats to Lux, created missing bump maps, everything.  I’m finally ready for my big boy pants.

Hope you like.  Rendered for 1:38, only 96 S/p.  I love the lowdiscrepancy sampler!  Only thing is, it probably won’t work well when I start adding glossier surfaces such as glass or metal.  I will cross that bridge when I get my car fixed.

Edit:  Took out the lowdiscrepancy render and put in my metropolis render.  Only 3:20 render time, but I can’t see anything in the pic that cooking overnight is going to improve.  It looks the same now as it did after 1 hr 30 mins.  Just 3 sparkly speckles, which I took out in Photoshop.  Only postwork was his eyes were too white/bright, so I toned them down in Photoshop.

Image Attachments
Sean_Fire_Metropolis.png
 Signature 

My DAZ Store Page    My Facebook Fan Page    My Twitter Account    Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 21 April 2013 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8522
Joined  2007-11-06

That is gorgeous!

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 21 April 2013 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
fixmypcmike - 21 April 2013 11:04 PM

That is gorgeous!

Thank-you.  I am setting a render before bed using metropolitan sampler, just to see if the difference is worth the extra long render times.  It has only been 8 minutes, but I can already tell you that the catch light in the eyes is already so much nicer in the metropolitan version.  It very well might go away as the render continues, but I like it right now.  I only wish the flame on the torch behind him would backlight him a bit more.  The metro render shows more of the flame shining through his ear, which is nice and realistic.

Pausing to look at the rendering after typing that last sentence, I can really see a great deal of details coming out in the metro render that are lacking above.  I almost wish I hadn’t done this comparison, because metro is winning out even after 10 minutes.

Signature 

My DAZ Store Page    My Facebook Fan Page    My Twitter Account    Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 21 April 2013 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2012-03-02

Nice job Slosh, gotta use metropolis and either bi-directional or path really to the best results. Mine is almost done as well, mucho thanks for figuring out the glossy translucent with volume.

Signature 

http://michaelg1234.deviantart.com/

Noob with a big heart.

Posted: 22 April 2013 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2005-06-23

I like your David pic.

I must be doing something wrong somewhere. Here’s a test comparison I ran last night. First I took a look at the default Andrei texture in DS and then upgraded it to UbS2. Then I ran it up to 200P/s LuxRender just to see how it looked and to have a baseline to compare anything to. I don’t think this is the best we can do, it’s just a point of reference. Then I manually installed the materials and used the modified setting you posted on the second one and ran it up to 200P/s. Not liking what I see, compared to the baseline he seems way to ‘volumey’ I think I must have something fundamentally borked to get such different results

Image Attachments
Freak1UbS2.jpgFreak2Meto.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/inaneglory

Posted: 22 April 2013 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
InaneGlory - 22 April 2013 03:51 AM

I like your David pic.

I must be doing something wrong somewhere. Here’s a test comparison I ran last night. First I took a look at the default Andrei texture in DS and then upgraded it to UbS2. Then I ran it up to 200P/s LuxRender just to see how it looked and to have a baseline to compare anything to. I don’t think this is the best we can do, it’s just a point of reference. Then I manually installed the materials and used the modified setting you posted on the second one and ran it up to 200P/s. Not liking what I see, compared to the baseline he seems way to ‘volumey’ I think I must have something fundamentally borked to get such different results

In #2, it looks like either his GTA (glossy translucent absorption) scale is too high, or the bump is too high.  If you left the Freak settings on, which had GTA scale at 1.0, this will be your problem.  Lower it to .4 as a good start.  Make sure the bump maps are not higher than 0.002 as well.  Maybe 0.003 at the most.  Is that Michael 4 in your pics?

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2013 04:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Just wanted to let anyone and everyone know, I updated the file on ShareCG so that it will load Genesis Male instead of Freak 5 and it will load default Jeremy RR textures instead of Andrei.  Keep in mind that the Jeremy textures are only 1024x1024, where Andrei is 4000x4000, so the results are not going to be beautiful, but it is a good starting point.  Change the volume absorption scale (VAS) and volume scatter scale (VSS?) to 250 for nicer results with Genesis Male.  The scene file still has it set at 500.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/68788/view/21/DAZ-Studio/Luxus-skin-settings-by-Slosh

Signature 

Posted: 22 April 2013 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-06-23
Slosh - 22 April 2013 03:59 AM
InaneGlory - 22 April 2013 03:51 AM

I like your David pic.

In #2, it looks like either his GTA (glossy translucent absorption) scale is too high, or the bump is too high.  If you left the Freak settings on, which had GTA scale at 1.0, this will be your problem.  Lower it to .4 as a good start.  Make sure the bump maps are not higher than 0.002 as well.  Maybe 0.003 at the most.  Is that Michael 4 in your pics?

It was the bump map setting. Thought I had set it lower that it was. Will be back with pics later. Character is Freak5 using the Andrei character morph.

Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2013 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-06-23

1st is the UbS2 auto-conversion again as a reference
2nd is with the modified numbers I said I liked
3rd is with the scattering scale turned back down to 4

I think both look better than the auto-conversion. The difference between 2 and 3 is subtler than I thought it would be. As to which one is better, that is subjective and depends on what your ultimate goal is. Whole thing needs more testing under various lighting situations but it seems like a good start smile

Image Attachments
Freak1UbS2.jpgFreak2Meto2.jpgFreak2ScatteringScale4_2.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2013 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Looks good, InaneGlory.  I think I like the #2 best, which you said was your preferred settings.  I know it’s a matter of personal taste, but I feel like something needs to go deeper.  Your scattering scale of 4 really will not make a dent in the volume.  I am currently running some tests trying different volume strengths while having no textures applied to the model so that I can see the pure color changes.  I used a green color for volume absorption (which is actually magenta in the settings), then slowly increased the scale until my volume looked green.  This never even happened until I reached 150.  Then, I set the scatter to an obnoxious bright blue and adjusted the scale until I saw blue scatter.  Again, this didn’t appear until higher numbers were reached.  I ended up deciding that setting both to 100 gave me the best starting point.  Once I added the textures back in, I found that I needed to go to 500 to really see anything through the texture, and this is on a pale Aiko 5 skin.

Right now, I am getting ready to tackle the glossy translucent settings, then on to specular.  Just finished bump, which really looks like crap when set any higher than .001

Wish me luck!  And again, number 2 seems to be the way to go.

Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2013 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Decided to try a female texture this time.  I spent about 4 or 5 hours fiddling with volume and glossy translucent settings again, trying to unlock the mysteries.  I started with the model completely texture free (just white), then added the glossy-translucent with volume to all body and head materials.  I did a render, which just looked like a body made up of tiny dust particles.  I then colored volume absorption to a very obnoxious green and started increasing the volume absorption strength until my volume looked more solid and had the green color visible.  That was at about 150.  I then did the same with volume scattering and a bright red color.  Again, 150 was the magic number.  As soon as I changed the volume absorption color to be more flesh-like, the effects on the volume were no longer visible.  What I discovered is, depending on the color of the volume you are going for, higher or lower scale settings would be needed.  I ended up settling at 100 for both the absorption strength and the scatter scale.  But, this would not last for long.

As soon as I added the character textures to the diffuse channel, the scattering and volume absorption were not strong enough to be noticed.  I increased them both to 500 but that was too much.  Final setting, 100 for v. abs scale, 250 for scattering scale.

I put the texture map in both the gt-diffuse and the gt-transmission channels, with the color at RGB 225,225,255 to prevent blowout.  For specular color, I was using a pretty specific specular map, so I decided not to use IOR but instead rely on the specular color and the roughness settings.  Bump maps were set to strength of .001 on the face and .002 on the body.  I experimented with increasing these amounts, but even the slightest increases were too extreme.

Finally, I added in the glossy-translucent absorption.  I tried darker colors and lighter colors, as well as colors that would not come out as flesh, but finally settled on a medium blue.  Different depths were tried as well, but again .40 seemed to be most appropriate for my girl.

I then spent a lot of time working on the eyes, which came out really good in tests, but I think might be too shiny in the attached image.

I was surprised to see how chapped her lips look, so I will have to readdress that in my next testing session.  So, all that being said (I talk too much) here is my attempt at female skin.  BTW, I used Bree for V5 as the texture.

Image Attachments
Bree.png
 Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2013 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Here is a render with my eye settings.  The grainy area in the sclera is caused by a custom absorption map that I made, which clearly needs to be worked on.  I didn’t realize it was so grainy until I let this close-up render.

Image Attachments
Eyes.png
 Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2013 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2011-02-09
Slosh - 23 April 2013 07:28 PM

Here is a render with my eye settings.  The grainy area in the sclera is caused by a custom absorption map that I made, which clearly needs to be worked on.  I didn’t realize it was so grainy until I let this close-up render.

Did you post those eye settings and I just missed it? They came out looking pretty good.

Posted: 23 April 2013 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
Reverendus - 23 April 2013 09:18 PM
Slosh - 23 April 2013 07:28 PM

Did you post those eye settings and I just missed it? They came out looking pretty good.

I haven’t posted the eye settings yet.  I actually just came up with them early this morning.  I would like to iron out a few of the rough spots, no pun intended, before putting them up.  Also, try them in a few more lighting situations with different texture sets.  Just to make sure that this render is not the only one that will look good with these settings.

Signature 

Posted: 23 April 2013 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2011-02-09

Ah, ok. At least I didn’t just miss them lol

4 of 17