Digital Art Zone

16 of 18
Luxus Skin Settings
Posted: 04 March 2014 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 226 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  721
Joined  2010-12-10

Been a while since I’ve fiddled with the skin settings so I’m in need of a refresher. Please post your skin settings, after all, that’s what this tread is for.

Signature 

My Gallery at Daz 3D
My Forum Thread

Posted: 28 March 2014 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 227 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2011-12-27

Late reply, but here they are for V4. I converted the skin to glossy translucent and used these settings. It is very important to set the diffuse and transmission color to the bitmap of the skin, and the specular color to the specular bitmap; obviously the bump map to be the correct one as well.

Image Attachments
v4settings1_-_Copy.pngv4settings2_-_Copy.png

Posted: 29 March 2014 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 228 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2003-10-09

Thank you for the settings JartStar. I’ll give them a try grin

Posted: 03 May 2014 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 229 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2013-08-03

Cause those translucent lux material settings look mostly weird here and take hours to cook, i did just the following in slosh’s cube scene (see render above):

luxrender-settings: linear ISO 60 / shutter 0.7 / f-stop 2.8 / gamma 2.2
light: one luxus area light xrotated -114
model: genesis 1 with custom morphs
skin: merchant resource freckled for v4 (nonfreckled version), nothing changed in skin materials except glossiness to 0
luxmaterials: nothing except volume for bumpmap
render stopped at only 120 s/p

Same good (in my opinion) results with other skins, it is all about the (daz) glossiness set near 0, lux changes the material to the more light grey the higher the glossiness value is, at near 0 everything is good, and that problem is on all materials, not only human skin.
Looking forward to some opinions smile

P.S. hope the black censor boxes are big enough for daz ...

edit: image removed cause of the black boxes, i’ll render another one

Posted: 03 May 2014 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 230 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2282
Joined  2005-09-14

Thanks for the tips andreasrauh.  I’ll try some of the settings that people have posted.

Regarding the black bars, Mr. Richard Haseltine says:

In the absence of content filters we’ve been seeing use of black bars, dots and other additions to images used to conceal nudity. Unfortunately we can’t consider these workarounds to be an acceptable solution.

Acceptable Ways of Handling Nudity

You could put a bikini on her.

Posted: 03 May 2014 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 231 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  863
Joined  2005-11-06
andreasrauh - 03 May 2014 04:49 PM

Actually you can’t post images with the black boxes http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewannounce/3279_4/

looks nice though.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 03 May 2014 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 232 ]
Joined  2013-08-03

thanks, i delete it and cook another with bikini

Posted: 03 May 2014 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 233 ]
Joined  2013-08-03
andreasrauh - 03 May 2014 04:49 PM

Cause those translucent lux material settings look mostly weird here and take hours to cook, i did just the following in slosh’s cube scene (see render above):

luxrender-settings: linear ISO 60 / shutter 0.7 / f-stop 2.8 / gamma 2.2
light: one luxus area light xrotated -114
model: genesis 1 with custom morphs
skin: merchant resource freckled for v4 (nonfreckled version), nothing changed in skin materials except glossiness to 0
luxmaterials: nothing except volume for bumpmap
render stopped at only 120 s/p

Same good (in my opinion) results with other skins, it is all about the (daz) glossiness set near 0, lux changes the material to the more light grey the higher the glossiness value is, at near 0 everything is good, and that problem is on all materials, not only human skin.
Looking forward to some opinions smile

edit: image removed cause of the black boxes, i’ll render another one

Here is the new picture with a simple unicoloured bikini instead of boxes ... and to say it clearly, i meant the translucent settings here are looking weird here on my renders, not in the pictures posted here smile

Image Attachments
d232.png

Posted: 03 May 2014 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 234 ]
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-04-24

Sorry if this is answered in another section, but can someone help me with displacements?  I want to get a good vein/vascularity on skin and would like to know if anyone knows the proper settings.

Thanks in advance

Posted: 03 May 2014 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 235 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2405
Joined  2003-12-06

Just like bump, the displacement value is measured in centimetres for D|S and in metres for LuxRender, so whatever value is in the standard parameter settings should be divided by 100 for the LuxRender parameter. Note that the displacement isn’t automatically transferred by Luxus, you have to set it up manually for each material that has a displacement map applied.

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 03 May 2014 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 236 ]
Joined  2012-04-24
SpottedKitty - 03 May 2014 08:13 PM

Just like bump, the displacement value is measured in centimetres for D|S and in metres for LuxRender, so whatever value is in the standard parameter settings should be divided by 100 for the LuxRender parameter. Note that the displacement isn’t automatically transferred by Luxus, you have to set it up manually for each material that has a displacement map applied.

Are you talking about the offset or the scale?

Posted: 03 May 2014 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 237 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-12-06

Hmm, that’s a good question, I didn’t realise displacement settings were so different from bump — and as usual, the LuxRender wiki is somewhere between vague and misleading on the subject (only talking about Blender, I think). Have to do some reading up about that, but I think the D|S displacement value corresponds to the LuxRender displacement Scale value. I can’t quite figure out what the wiki means about the Offset value; “a shrink/fatten modifier”?

Signature 

Posted: 05 May 2014 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 238 ]
Joined  2012-04-24

Say, quick question:

Early on in the render (around 50 samples), a lot of materials that don’t use matte settings (e.g. glossy translucent) look shinyish/white.  Is this normal?

Posted: 05 May 2014 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 239 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2282
Joined  2005-09-14

To me, that is normal.  I need to run Luxrender for 30 minutes before the glossy materials doesn’t look too shiny.  Luxrender needs to send more samples to the glossy materials compared to matte from what I understand.

Posted: 05 May 2014 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 240 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2003-12-06
MadDemon64 - 05 May 2014 10:59 AM

Early on in the render (around 50 samples), a lot of materials that don’t use matte settings (e.g. glossy translucent) look shinyish/white.  Is this normal?

That depends; the major culprit in “shiny stuff all white” is the specular value, which must be much lower in LuxRender than it is for a standard D|S material. Have you checked that in the glitching materials? Does the over-whiteness go away eventually as the render continues? It might also be due to your lighting rig, are you using the same lights for the scene as you were in D|S, or is it set up with actual LuxRender lights?

Signature 

16 of 18