Digital Art Zone

11 of 17
Luxus Skin Settings
Posted: 25 May 2013 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 151 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1307
Joined  2005-03-16

I made up this chart for myself a few weeks ago, based on the textures that I currently own.  It features a sampling of the torso skin color for each character, then the inverse color to achieve that shade in the absorption color channels.  I hesitated to share it since we all own different skins, but really there are so many variations that an exact match doesn’t matter.  Just pick one close to the tone you are trying to achieve and plug in the values.

I hope this comes in handy.  Cheers.

Image Attachments
Characters.jpg
 Signature 

My DAZ Store Page    My Facebook Fan Page    My Twitter Account    Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 26 May 2013 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 152 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2012-03-02

Ariana elite texture test. For an elite texture set the eye textures are poor or I have done some thing wrong with the set up.

1000 0,255,255 absorption
250   255,188,182 scatter

0.0001 bump scale.

Image Attachments
arriana.jpg
 Signature 

http://michaelg1234.deviantart.com/

Noob with a big heart.

Posted: 26 May 2013 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1608
Joined  2012-09-16

Since I don’t have an indepth sence of Lux, this discription is a riddle to me:

Then apply the attached settings to each material zone.  Use the texture maps associated with each area.
A: is the head, torso, limbs texture.  I used Andrei for F5 by Morris.
B: is the specular map
C: is the bump map
X: is also the specular map, but this section is not activated so you don’t need to put a map in here, nor do you need to set the color.  I had it set during my tests, but ended up not needing it.  When I turned on “One Sided”, this section became inactive.  I just forgot to delete the map.

Where can I find A, B, C and X?

Signature 

You’re welcome to visit my GALLERY
Need a review or looking for tips? Pay a visit HERE

Posted: 26 May 2013 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
Estroyer - 26 May 2013 08:36 AM

Since I don’t have an indepth sence of Lux, this discription is a riddle to me:

Then apply the attached settings to each material zone.  Use the texture maps associated with each area.
A: is the head, torso, limbs texture.  I used Andrei for F5 by Morris.
B: is the specular map
C: is the bump map
X: is also the specular map, but this section is not activated so you don’t need to put a map in here, nor do you need to set the color.  I had it set during my tests, but ended up not needing it.  When I turned on “One Sided”, this section became inactive.  I just forgot to delete the map.

Where can I find A, B, C and X?

In the images I attached, I have put an A, B, C and X in the spots where texture maps should go.  Do you not have the screen grabs?

Image Attachments
SloshSettingsFreak.png
 Signature 

My DAZ Store Page    My Facebook Fan Page    My Twitter Account    Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 26 May 2013 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
Michael_G - 26 May 2013 07:50 AM

Ariana elite texture test. For an elite texture set the eye textures are poor or I have done some thing wrong with the set up.

0.0001 bump scale.

I don’t like any of the Elite textures eyes, with the exception of Amy, perhaps.

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2013 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-16

Oh dear, I missed the numbers…Thanks for clearing that up!
Running a final render now, curious what will happen…
Your tut just gave me a whole new insight on LUXUS and its settings!

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2013 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Cool, I’m glad they helped.  I really should consider doing an update, since I and many others have found better settings since this was originally posted.

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2013 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

0.0001 bump scale.

I forgot to mention, before, that I really like this test render.  Her face, especially.  The gloss on her torso might be a bit high, just a bit.

Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2013 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-09-16

As I said I had a lot of new insights today thanks to your info.
And I am so grateful!
Skin is looking wonderful realistic but I can’t get the hair look right.
Tried several tutorials but I can’t find a specific one that has an indepth description about hair in LUX such as your skin tut.

Image Attachments
test3.pngtest!.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 26 May 2013 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
Estroyer - 26 May 2013 02:17 PM

As I said I had a lot of new insights today thanks to your info.
And I am so grateful!
Skin is looking wonderful realistic but I can’t get the hair look right.
Tried several tutorials but I can’t find a specific one that has an indepth description about hair in LUX such as your skin tut.

Agreed, the skin is looking really good in both of your renders.  April Glyn does not have the best transparency maps, but you can get some good results on the color.  I have included a very quick render with hair settings that I use frequently.  If you look at the screengrab of the material pane, you can see that I like to put a darker version of the texture in the transmission channel.  I set the material to glossy translucent, by the way.  Also, try putting a color in the glossy absorption channel.  Just remember to go with the inverse of the color you want.  That’s why mine is blue… the resulting color is a medium brown.

Image Attachments
d96.pngGlynHairLux.JPG
 Signature 

Posted: 27 May 2013 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-11-24

Great thread!

Thanks once again to MichaelG for pointing it out to me, I’d given up on SSS under Luxus after spending days on it.

Two questiosn though:
1. I’m not really seeing any speed or quality difference using “Renderer:Sample with Sampler:LowDiscrepancy” vs “Renderer:Sample with Sampler:Metropolis” I get a little over 30 kS/s for either of them.

2. A lot of the Elite texture sets and some others as well now days, have TL maps and some also have SSS maps, where if at all, should they be used?

Signature 

siliconaya.deviantart.com

Posted: 27 May 2013 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-02
Slosh - 26 May 2013 02:10 PM

0.0001 bump scale.

I forgot to mention, before, that I really like this test render.  Her face, especially.  The gloss on her torso might be a bit high, just a bit.

Yeah I was having trouble with the skin.

Signature 

Noob with a big heart.

Posted: 27 May 2013 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-03-02
SiliconAya - 27 May 2013 06:19 AM

Great thread!

Thanks once again to MichaelG for pointing it out to me, I’d given up on SSS under Luxus after spending days on it.

Two questiosn though:
1. I’m not really seeing any speed or quality difference using “Renderer:Sample with Sampler:LowDiscrepancy” vs “Renderer:Sample with Sampler:Metropolis” I get a little over 30 kS/s for either of them.

2. A lot of the Elite texture sets and some others as well now days, have TL maps and some also have SSS maps, where if at all, should they be used?

Best to use is metropolis with bi-directional and a multi volume integrator not single, bear in mind that glossy translucent with volume will be a heavy burden to render.

Signature 

Noob with a big heart.

Posted: 27 May 2013 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-11-24
Michael_G - 27 May 2013 07:47 AM

Best to use is metropolis with bi-directional and a multi volume integrator not single, bear in mind that glossy translucent with volume will be a heavy burden to render.

Ok thanks, those are more or less my default settings anyway. And yeah I’ve noticed about a 2/3 drop in render speeds.

Edit: Actaully the speed hit mostly came from using more than one light, switching to my normal one light setup I’m only seeing about a 10% drop in render speeds.

Signature 

siliconaya.deviantart.com

Posted: 27 May 2013 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 165 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
SiliconAya - 27 May 2013 08:44 AM
Michael_G - 27 May 2013 07:47 AM

Ok thanks, those are more or less my default settings anyway. And yeah I’ve noticed about a 2/3 drop in render speeds.

Edit: Actaully the speed hit mostly came from using more than one light, switching to my normal one light setup I’m only seeing about a 10% drop in render speeds.

Originally, I liked lowdiscrepancy because there was less of the scatter “glitters” to get through during render.  They went away much quicker with lowdiscrepancy.  However, I also noticed a quality hit vs. metropolis.  The reflections especially seemed to lack, so I have gone back to metropolis as my default sampler.  It takes a little bit longer (or at least it used to.  Seems to have improved, somehow), but it’s worth it in the end.

Signature 

11 of 17