Digital Art Zone

1 of 17
Luxus Skin Settings
Posted: 20 April 2013 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2005-03-16

Edit:  Added this link to ShareCG where my scene file is there for download to follow along with this thread.  Previously, only Freak 5 owners could use the file, but I have updated it with Genesis Male instead so anyone can come to play!

Luxus Skin Settings by Slosh

As promised a few days ago in other threads, here are the exact skin settings I used for the image shown below.

In my scene, I enclosed Freak in a primitive cube and used the 2 area light preset that came with Luxus.  For each light I changed the strength in the surfaces tab.  Area Light 1 was changed to 70%, Area light 2 was changed to 50%

To apply the settings, first choose all of the head, torso and limb materials in Surfaces Pane, and convert them to LuxRender material: Glossy Translucent with Volume and Copy Studio Settings.

Then apply the attached settings to each material zone.  Use the texture maps associated with each area.
A: is the head, torso, limbs texture.  I used Andrei for F5 by Morris.
B: is the specular map
C: is the bump map
X: is also the specular map, but this section is not activated so you don’t need to put a map in here, nor do you need to set the color.  I had it set during my tests, but ended up not needing it.  When I turned on “One Sided”, this section became inactive.  I just forgot to delete the map.

For rendering, I used Renderer:Sample with Sampler:LowDiscrepancy.  This was a tip from czexarna to help reduce the sparkle effect you get with SSS and volumes.  Cut my render time from 32 hours to only 1 hour.  Let it render longer than 1 hour of course and it will get even better, but the image below was after just one hour.

In LuxRender, I used the Linear tone mapping settings.  For Film ISO: 200, Shutter: 1/2, f-stop: 5.6.  I also used Color Space: Adobe RGB 98 and the Preset Daylight.  Gamma + Film Response was set to Advantix 200.

Hopefully, I have covered everything here.  I posted a different render in the Luxus Discussion thread, which has slightly more realistic settings on David 5, since he is not an oiled up bodybuilder.  I will be working on an in-depth tutorial for that image, explaining the various settings and what you can expect from each.

Enjoy!  Post your renders in this thread.  I would love to see what you come up with using these settings, tweaked to your liking or just as is.

Brian, aka Slosh

Image Attachments
1_hour.pngSloshSettings.png
 Signature 

My DAZ Store Page    My Facebook Fan Page    My Twitter Account    Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 20 April 2013 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2007-06-22

Thank you very much, I haven’t really known where to start.

Posted: 20 April 2013 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  721
Joined  2010-12-10

Thank you Slosh, nice to see more of the settings as I’ve been chucking in random numbers trying to fill in the missing gaps that have’nt been posted. Although I’ve now got a nice selection of ‘Alien coloured skins’ and a nice blue avatar skin - sorta. hmm.

I guess some of the pros keep their cards close to their chest, as they’ve no doubt gone through many many hours to get to where they are.

Thanks again for sharing.

Signature 

My Gallery at Daz 3D
My Forum Thread

Posted: 20 April 2013 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Well, as a new user myself I feel sharing is the best way for us to learn.  I share with you, you say, “Hey, what about doing this?” or “I know a quicker, better, more realistic way.”  If I keep things to myself just so that I can get 1,000 atta-boys, then I have to continue figuring things out for myself because no one is going to want to share with me.

Now, this won’t necessarily work perfectly for all characters.  Freak is a tall, thick, muscley dude and these setting would look ridiculous on Aiko 5 or one of the teens.  I used the Andrei textures by Morris, but if you don’t have that character and use another texture instead, it may or may not look the same.  I haven’t tried it with another texture yet, except the Genesis Basic Male (Jeremy) texture.  Also, texture resolution plays a big part.  We are talking about a resolution difference of almost quadrupal.  Jeremy maps are 1024x1024 and Andrei maps are 4000x4000.  Makes a big difference.

Signature 

My DAZ Store Page    My Facebook Fan Page    My Twitter Account    Free Video Tutorials    My FreeStuff at ShareCG    My Gallery on DeviantArt

Posted: 20 April 2013 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4533
Joined  2004-08-11

Might have to try out your settings on Bruno’s skin and see how it looks.  Your render looks like a photo!  Very nice!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 20 April 2013 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
RAMWolff - 20 April 2013 04:36 PM

Might have to try out your settings on Bruno’s skin and see how it looks.  Your render looks like a photo!  Very nice!

Thanks!  And I hope you will post the results in this thread so I can see how the settings work for other people.

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2013 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  665
Joined  2006-11-10

Thanks for pointing out the sampler tip. I had actuallly given up on playing with skin shaders for a while because it took an hour or so to get anything like a decent preview. This should help.

Signature 

Old post count: 3,394,206

Posted: 20 April 2013 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2005-06-23

Couple things I’ve noticed in my experiments and mining the Lux Manual
Specular IOR (Index of Refraction) is really important. It tells LuxRender how your surface reacts to light. IOR for skin is roughly about 1.4
Absorption Depth is set to 1.0 That’s one meter deep. Probably more than you need. Lowering the depth might also require lowering the Scale to get similar results.
Glossy Translucent Absorption Color and Volume Absorption Color shouldn’t be the same exact color. The first one is for light bouncing off the skin, the second for light penetrating the skin.

Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/inaneglory

Posted: 20 April 2013 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Take a look at this picture, too, which I used basically the same settings, but with minor tweaks to the absorption colors and the specular roughness/color.  David has a lighter skin tone and is not oiled up like the Freak, so there had to be some modifications.

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2013 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
InaneGlory - 20 April 2013 05:20 PM

Couple things I’ve noticed in my experiments and mining the Lux Manual
Specular IOR (Index of Refraction) is really important. It tells LuxRender how your surface reacts to light. IOR for skin is roughly about 1.4
Absorption Depth is set to 1.0 That’s one meter deep. Probably more than you need. Lowering the depth might also require lowering the Scale to get similar results.
Glossy Translucent Absorption Color and Volume Absorption Color shouldn’t be the same exact color. The first one is for light bouncing off the skin, the second for light penetrating the skin.

I don’t disagree.  In the case of Freak (above), keeping the GT and Volume Absorption colors the same gave a favorable effect.  However that may be, in more realistic characters, like the one Iink to above, it is necessary to do as you have said.  I have a couple more IOR settings that I found on the internet if anyone is interested.  Also, keep in mind that if you use IOR, the specular color automatically gets treated as 50% gray so the color in that channel is irrelevant.  The specular maps still have effect, so I would recommend using them regardless of whether you use IOR or not. 

IOR for the human cornea is 1.376, or about 1.4.  IOR for human hair is about 1.55, and for skin I found 1.45.

As for absorption depth, the Freak is a big guy and I treated him as such.  Maybe not a meter thick, but pretty big just the same, hence the 1 as depth.  In a later test, I tried .65 which also gave a more natural look.  Don’t remember what I used for David offhand, but it was not 1.

Please remember, folks, I was asked to provide settings in response to that particular image, which is exactly what I did.  Keep in mind, I have experimented more since then, but at that time, those settings looked wonderful to me, so I shared them as is.

Keep the suggestions and comments coming.  I sincerely welcome them and take no offense to any criticisms or suggestions that do not match what I did.

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2013 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2006-10-01

Unfortunately, this is what I get with the same settings. downer

Image Attachments
settings.jpg
 Signature 

Simplified guide to Genesis content creation.

My gallery.

Posted: 20 April 2013 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
Hellboy - 20 April 2013 06:18 PM

Unfortunately, this is what I get with the same settings. downer

That is interesting.  What texture set did you use?  Also, how about lights and did you use a cube around the scene?  What settings did you use in LuxRender?  Linear, with the settings I indicated?

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2013 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Really puzzled as to what is going on in your scene.  I ran my original scene, but deleted all lights and the cube, so the only thing left in the scene was Freak and his boxer shorts.  This is what I got after only 5 minutes…

Image Attachments
d101.png
 Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2013 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2006-10-01

Yeah, that’s weird. I did everything. Even used the horrible Freak character as a last resource.
Well, thanks! Hope it work for others. smile

Signature 

Simplified guide to Genesis content creation.

My gallery.

Posted: 20 April 2013 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16
Hellboy - 20 April 2013 08:00 PM

Yeah, that’s weird. I did everything. Even used the horrible Freak character as a last resource.
Well, thanks! Hope it work for others. smile

Confusing.  I applied this same thing to Victoria 5, David 5, Hiro 5, all worked just as expected.  Is there any chance your lights are intersecting the box?

I tried to send you my scene file via PM, but the attachments box apparently doesn’t really work.  I’d really like to see you be able to use the settings.  Odd, my settings did not work for you and yours did not work for me.

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2013 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  174
Joined  2004-06-23

thanks for this. I look forward to checking it out smile

1 of 17