Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
CARRARA CONTENT FOLDER SET UP
Posted: 06 June 2013 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  412
Joined  2006-09-01

Thanks for clarifying that.  I’ve been watching the Infinite Skills Carrara training videos and I’ll take your advice about using Carrara for awhile longer before buying extra plugins.  I might buy that Inagone if/when it goes on sale.

Posted: 06 June 2013 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
Superdog - 06 June 2013 02:37 PM

Thanks for clarifying that.  I’ve been watching the Infinite Skills Carrara training videos and I’ll take your advice about using Carrara for awhile longer before buying extra plugins.  I might buy that Inagone if/when it goes on sale.

You can get the current plugins at inaoni.com. He dropped his prices to 50% (presumably to match his cut at the DAZ store), all except AchiTools, I think…

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 06 June 2013 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-01
holly wetcircuit - 06 June 2013 04:17 PM
Superdog - 06 June 2013 02:37 PM

You can get the current plugins at inaoni.com. He dropped his prices to 50% (presumably to match his cut at the DAZ store), all except AchiTools, I think…

I worked out that it’s still cheaper to buy them full price from DAZ.  I think I’ll wait until there’s a sale.

Posted: 06 June 2013 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-01

One last question, if I install all the content into the Carrara 8 program folder will it be visible to the Carrara 8.5 BETA?

Posted: 07 June 2013 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

HI

Plug-ins are placed in the Extensions folder , which is specific to each application, so,. No, ..any plug-ins installed to C8 would only be available in C8.

You could install the plug-ins into both versions if you want to test them in the beta version.

There are normally different versions of the plug-ins available for each version of Carrara.  EG: C6, C7, C8, 32bit , 64bit

Posted: 07 June 2013 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  233
Joined  2009-04-06
Superdog - 06 June 2013 05:14 PM

I worked out that it’s still cheaper to buy them full price from DAZ.  I think I’ll wait until there’s a sale.

One thing for European users.

Inagoni is European based and thus applies VAT (20% for French residents) to EU customers over the published priced. In the other hand, Daz, being US based, doesn’t.

So, I bought Architools from DAZ and not Inagoni because of that.

Posted: 10 June 2013 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-01

I’ve installed my Carrara contents as suggested (into Carrara folder) including some HowieFawkes scenes but they’re not showing up in Carrara 8.5.  Where are they located?

Posted: 11 June 2013 02:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Superdog

Installing products for Carrara, only installs the product into the version you’re installing to,.
so,,the product will be a available in that version, ...but not in other versions,. since some product parts will be placed into program specific folders EG: leaves.

unlike Poser or Daz studio,. Carrara doesn’t have a global location which any / all versions can use.

mainly because Carrara doesn’t “Need” any content,... you can model, rig, texture, animate, and render your own.

C8.5 beta doesn’t come with any content or scene wizards,. (which are part of the “Carrara Native Content installer”)
It’s supplied as the main program only,. for easier beta testing.

so, without the scene wizards,  Products won’t show up in “Presets”, ....only in the browser.

You can either install into both application, or choose the program version you’re using the most, and install to there.

Also,.. Carrara doesn’t automatically scan your folders for any new products or folders, and auto add them to the content browser.
Mainly because there are different file types for Atmosphere’s / Backgrounds / Objects / Shaders etc.. and each type should be added to different sections of the browser,.

So, sometimes when you install a new product,. you’ll need to add it’s folders to the browser manually.

Hope it helps

Posted: 11 June 2013 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

Do we still have to install the leaves inside the Carrara package on osX?

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 11 June 2013 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Holly, smile

No idea,. but if that’s how it worked before, then it should still be the same. ....I should try to keep up on mac stuff more.

As for PC,..  any leaves need to be in the Data / plants folder, and the default leaves are in the Data/Plants/Leaves.
but you can create a sub folder inside the Data/Plants folder for plants and leaves if you’re making a product.

I think It would be nice to have a central location for Carrara products, but I’ve no idea how easy, or difficult that would be to make happen.

Posted: 12 June 2013 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1344
Joined  0
3DAGE - 11 June 2013 02:19 AM

HI Superdog

Installing products for Carrara, only installs the product into the version you’re installing to,.
so,,the product will be a available in that version, ...but not in other versions,. since some product parts will be placed into program specific folders EG: leaves.

unlike Poser or Daz studio,. Carrara doesn’t have a global location which any / all versions can use.

mainly because Carrara doesn’t “Need” any content,... you can model, rig, texture, animate, and render your own.

C8.5 beta doesn’t come with any content or scene wizards,. (which are part of the “Carrara Native Content installer”)
It’s supplied as the main program only,. for easier beta testing.

so, without the scene wizards,  Products won’t show up in “Presets”, ....only in the browser.

You can either install into both application, or choose the program version you’re using the most, and install to there.

Also,.. Carrara doesn’t automatically scan your folders for any new products or folders, and auto add them to the content browser.
Mainly because there are different file types for Atmosphere’s / Backgrounds / Objects / Shaders etc.. and each type should be added to different sections of the browser,.

So, sometimes when you install a new product,. you’ll need to add it’s folders to the browser manually.

Hope it helps
[/quot

How do I go about adding folders to the browser manually?  You mentioned each type should be added to different sections of the browser.  I find installing products into carrara quite maddening ...at least until I learn how smile

Signature 

“If you get a chance….Take it!  If it changes your life….Let it!.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.”

Posted: 13 June 2013 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Kharma smile

You would add folders using the little icons at the right hand side of the browser. (see pic)

Normally, products will install into the correct folders,. so that it works,. and if you have the Scene wizards installed, (carrara native content)
then,. selecting “New Scene”, will show an area where you can select and load the installed products

Some products, like shaders, brushes, lights, atmospheres, backgrounds,. etc… anything that’s not a complete “Scene”, then you may need to add those items manually,. EG: If they create a new folder,. and don’t install to a folder which is already in Carrara’s browser.

For example:
If you buy a “shader” product,. it can either be built to install into the existing “Shaders” folder, in which case it should show up in the browser automatically,.
Or,.
It could have been built to install the shaders into a new folder,. EG:  developer name / product name / shaders.

The carrara browser has tabs for Scenes,. Objects,  Shaders, and “Misc”
the Miscellaneous folder is where you’ll find things which aren’t Scenes, Objects, or Shaders,. and more often than not , you’ll need to add products which have Atmospheres, Backgrounds, etc ...manually. to the Misc folder.

So, products with Scenes, Objects, Shaders all go into those main tabs,. but Atmosphere’s (sky’s) backgrounds (HDRIs’) etc,.  need to be added to the Misc tab,. and because the Misc tab can accept different types of items, there’s a pop up panel when you add a folder,. where Carrara asks you what type of files,. eg: Atmospheres,. Backgrounds,. etc..

Hope that makes sense smile

Image Attachments
add_folder.jpg

Posted: 12 September 2013 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10999
Joined  2007-11-06

...I just recently got Carrara 8.5 Pro installed and running.  Now I’m at the point where I have a boatload of Carrara content to install from nearly all of Howie Farkes’ sets to the Native Content, to the New Woodlands Kit.  My system uses two drives, one smaller one (C:) for the system boot and applications, and a much larger (D:) one for the content runtimes/libraries. 

I had thought I could install the content to a folder on the D: Drive and just point Carrara there but after reading several posts here am now confused.  Does it, absolutely, positively, have to all go in the Carrara 8.5 folder on the smaller C: drive (which would take up a major portion of the available free space) so the application can find it?

With Poser, Daz Studio, Hexagon, and even the DIM, this setup works fine but from what I read, it seems that it will not be the case with Carrara.

And does my scene library also need to be on the C: drive as well? That could quickly fill up the remaining available space.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 12 September 2013 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  296
Joined  2008-05-23
Kyoto Kid - 12 September 2013 09:26 PM

...I just recently got Carrara 8.5 Pro installed and running.  Now I’m at the point where I have a boatload of Carrara content to install from nearly all of Howie Farkes’ sets to the Native Content, to the New Woodlands Kit.  My system uses two drives, one smaller one (C:) for the system boot and applications, and a much larger (D:) one for the content runtimes/libraries. 

I had thought I could install the content to a folder on the D: Drive and just point Carrara there but after reading several posts here am now confused.  Does it, absolutely, positively, have to all go in the Carrara 8.5 folder on the smaller C: drive (which would take up a major portion of the available free space) so the application can find it?

With Poser, Daz Studio, Hexagon, and even the DIM, this setup works fine but from what I read, it seems that it will not be the case with Carrara.

And does my scene library also need to be on the C: drive as well? That could quickly fill up the remaining available space.

I don’t install Carrara into the program files directory (PC user).  I use C:\Daz 3D\Carrara85.  I don’t see any reason that you could not install the entire Carrara program onto your D drive. 

Leaves and stuff like that have to go into the main Carrara directory.  If you put scenes and other objects, you could open them up, but they would not show up as presets (AFAIK).

It may be possible to install to the D drive, but put the scratch disk on the C drive for faster performance.  I don’t have an SSD, so I never tried, but under preferences, it looks like you can specify the scratch disk directory.

ncamp

Posted: 12 September 2013 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10999
Joined  2007-11-06

...apologies for the noob-ness, but what is a “scratch drive”?

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

2 of 3