Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
CARRARA CONTENT FOLDER SET UP
Posted: 19 April 2013 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2008-05-26

This has probably been addressed before, but I can’t seem to find it anywhere, so if you you have the link, I’d be grateful if you can let me know where fo find the answer.

After taking a long break from using carrara, I have decided to start re-learning. Because I am quickly running out of space in my PC, I have decided to put all my 3D contents or runtime folder, if you will, in an external drive.  When installing carrara contents yetsterday there would be a message that tells me the path I’m installing the content to is not a carrara path (or something to that effect).  And of course when I open carrara I don’t find the carrara stuff I just installed.  In DS/PS it is easy to pin point to the location of the runtime folders, but I don’t see this in carrara.  How do I do this please?

Signature 

Never let ‘em see you sweat wink

Posted: 19 April 2013 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Lulubelle

All Carrara products are designed and arranged to be installed directly into the application,. like a plugin, rather than “content”

One of the reasons for this is that carrara uses specific folders for things like leaves and plants, which can be used in any scene,.
so plants and leaves need to be available within the carrara folders.

Fortunately, carrara scene files are not Big as far as file size is concerned.

hope it helps smile

Posted: 19 April 2013 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-26

ahhh…I was afraid of that.  Thanks for confirming.

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2013 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

In the browser you first have to click the CONTENT TAB. Then click the little black “file/folder” button.
If you don’t have CONTENT selected the menu under File/Folder will be different…

**EDIT, sorry, I may be misinterpreting the last part of your post…

Image Attachments
Screen_Shot_2013-04-19_at_2.07_.38_PM_.png
 Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 19 April 2013 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4817
Joined  2006-08-27

You can create folders on whatever drive you want, for nearly anything you want, and manually point Carrara’s browser to them. Then whatever you create that you wish to save, be it a shader, model, light set, whatever, you drag and drop it into the folder you created and it will be stored in that folder. Even if it’s an external drive.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 19 April 2013 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-05-26

thanks holly and evilproducer.  That worked out quite well!

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2013 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
LuluBelle1271 - 19 April 2013 12:42 PM

Oh good. smile

Just FYI, if you start Carrara without the external hdd connected your external runtimes won’t show up. It will look blank…
You’ll have to connect the hdd then restart Carrara for them to show again.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 19 April 2013 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4817
Joined  2006-08-27

As Holly said!

There are other advantages to saving to the Browser. For instance, Carrara will open .car files faster than the Poser files. So you can load a figure from the Content Browser where your runtimes are located, adjust morphs and customize your character however you see fit, then drag the figure to the Objects Browser to save it in Carrara’s native format. If you clothe the figure, you can group the figure and the clothes together and drag the entire group to the browser. The next time you want to use the figure, drag the icon from the browser and drop it into your scene’s instances pallette/tab or drop it into the scene window and it will load with all the changes intact.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 19 April 2013 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5927
Joined  2007-12-04

Aren’t they sweet? I love it when they help… and they’re so fast about it too.
Holly and EP… You fricken R O C K ! ! ! smile

PS…
I have tried leaving my runtime on an external hdd before. I’ll never do it again.
What Holly said is true. It must remain plugged in.
But also,
USB connections are slower that internal… especially if you have a SATA drive interface.
I might be talking geek Greek. But if you have no choice… it’s better than not having access to your runtimes wink

Nowadays, I have a collection of internal hard drives that I’ve since replaced with larger and/or faster drives.
When I built this new workstation, I just bought a really fast, large (1.5TB) internal drive so that I could keep my runtimes on the same drive as my operating system (Win7 64 bit Home Premium) for immediate file delivery.

I found a box which I can use to turn these older hard drives into usb external drives. So I use those to occasionally back up all of my runtimes, test video and images, installation exe files… everything. Then I take it out of that converter box and put it away in one of those anti-static sleeves that they ship them in. Then I put another drive in and do the same thing. If I ever need one of those for something else… I could always format one. But until that day comes… I would rather behave as if I’m really paranoid, and back up everything I can.

I also had a very new drive, that would no longer be used for anything since I built my workstation, so that is my dedicated temp file drive. I set up all of my software to use that drive for a scratch disc, spooling drive, temp write drive. Works great.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 19 April 2013 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1371
Joined  2011-01-03
Dartanbeck - 19 April 2013 01:06 PM

Aren’t they sweet? I love it when they help… and they’re so fast about it too.
Holly and EP… You fricken R O C K ! ! ! smile

GROUP HUG! kiss

Dartanbeck - 19 April 2013 01:06 PM

I have tried leaving my runtime on an external hdd before. I’ll never do it again.
What Holly said is true. It must remain plugged in.
But also, USB connections are slower that internal… especially if you have a SATA drive interface.

My laptop needs the external drive…its internal drive is an SSD. They are stupid-fast but piteously tiny in capacity.

A USB 2.0 connection is pretty slow…only about 1.1 mbps. A USB 3.0 connection can hit about 20 mbps. That’s survivable.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 19 April 2013 08:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5927
Joined  2007-12-04

Surviveable compared to 3GB/sec, 6GB/sec on RAID 0?
Hmmmm.
SSD are dangerously fast. I’ll not get one until they’re big enough to hold me files. I’m just stubborn that way. You lose most of the benefits of a stupid fast drive if it has to draw through a slow interfaced bottleneck. Oh i am now haunted with the sound that stupid drive made every time I double-clicked a file… and then it made me wait as it woke up. What a drag! shock

Okay… I’m not quite that offended by the memory. Once the data gets into the app… the minor annoyance is gone - so, yes… I’m humorously over exaggerating. I want a 5 TB SSD. Five 1TB drives in a RAID 0! Gars-man… Please? Can I? I guess that’s where money talks and I have to leave. lol

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 19 April 2013 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1371
Joined  2011-01-03
Dartanbeck - 19 April 2013 08:05 PM

Surviveable compared to 3GB/sec, 6GB/sec on RAID 0?

In my defence, I wasn’t comparing to SATA drives…  wink

Dartanbeck - 19 April 2013 08:05 PM

I want a 5 TB SSD. Five 1TB drives in a RAID 0! Gars-man… Please? Can I? I guess that’s where money talks and I have to leave. lol

Not even I can afford that buddy! My company does have a pretty wicked SAN (storage attached network) and its spinning-rust drives are cached by a metric butt-load of SSD drives. Before they hired me, they didn’t know how to configure SQL Server…so the fire-breathing performance of the SAN kept them alive even though the poor databases were wheezing in agony.

I nearly cried…

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 06 June 2013 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  391
Joined  2006-09-01

I read this thread and wanted to confirm how to install Carrara 8.5 contents.  I’m using a PC with Win 7 x64. Do I install all content into Carrara’s program folders or do I need to set up a specific Runtime folder for Carrara?  When I run a Carrara content exe it asks for an installation path which is left blank.  What is the best place to install the content?

I also use DAZ and have all my DAZ contents installed into one Runtime in the ‘Contents’ folder. Whenever I install DAZ content it automatically knows where to install it into the correct folder.  Should I install my Carrara contents in the DAZ ‘Contents’ folder or will this create a confusing mess? 

I really want to install my Carrara content correctly.

Posted: 06 June 2013 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Superdog

Products built for Carrara,. should be installed into the main Carrara program folder.
that Carrara folder has sub-folders for preset’s , scenes,.Data, etc.. and the product’s will have been built to know where they should install it’s component parts to.

so to install any carrara product,. point it to your carrara folder,.. and hit go.

Daz Studio, or Poser content,. should be installed into your “Library”, or “Runtime” folders,. (as you normally would)

Those Content / Library or Runtime folders can be added to the browser in Carrara,.

Any version of Carrara can read and open Poser products from the browser,. Carrara doesn’t read DUF or DS files./ (Only the BETA version of 8.5 will read and load DUF files from the browser, or Smart Content tab)

Hope that makes sense

Posted: 06 June 2013 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  391
Joined  2006-09-01
3DAGE - 06 June 2013 11:33 AM

HI Superdog

Products built for Carrara,. should be installed into the main Carrara program folder.
that Carrara folder has sub-folders for preset’s , scenes,.Data, etc.. and the product’s will have been built to know where they should install it’s component parts to.

so to install any carrara product,. point it to your carrara folder,.. and hit go.

Daz Studio, or Poser content,. should be installed into your “Library”, or “Runtime” folders,. (as you normally would)

Those Content / Library or Runtime folders can be added to the browser in Carrara,.

Any version of Carrara can read and open Poser products from the browser,. Carrara doesn’t read DUF or DS files./ (Only the BETA version of 8.5 will read and load DUF files from the browser, or Smart Content tab)

Hope that makes sense

Thanks for that very clear explanation.  Using some examples from the DAZ shop I just wanted to clarify that this applies to installing all Carrara content including:

Brushes:

http://www.daz3d.com/digitalpainters-3dpaint-brushes

Scenes:

http://www.daz3d.com/country-lane-2

Plugins:

http://www.daz3d.com/advance-pack

Environments:

http://www.daz3d.com/hdr-prosets-monterey

Lights & Gels:

http://www.daz3d.com/cloud-nine-clouds-and-lights-bundle
http://www.daz3d.com/gel-master-pack-for-carrara

Objects:

http://www.daz3d.com/sub-mariner

Shaders:

http://www.daz3d.com/dp-carrara-master-collection-shaders

Posted: 06 June 2013 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-08-24

HI Superdog

yes, all of those would be installed into your carrara program folder

when Daz3d accepts a product,. it goes through testing and quality control to make sure it works and that it’s files/folders are structured correctly for each application.

If you’re just getting into Carrara,. I’d suggest that you take some time to explore the tools and functions in carrara, without any plugins first,. then,. if you need them, get whatever plugins you need. .. although,... that advanced plugin bundle is reasonably price right now.
It’s your choice.

Also,. checkout Sparrowhawke3D for his free plugin pack

www.sparrowhawke3d.com

1 of 3