Digital Art Zone

4 of 4
edited
Posted: 18 April 2013 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3321
Joined  2009-08-05

Allow as in allow another render engine for the comp for non shader use eg just pantyhose.. I will be back later..

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 18 April 2013 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2800
Joined  2006-07-31
Zev0 - 18 April 2013 09:40 AM

Allow another render engine for the comp.

Maybe just some clarification would do?
Like, “1. always specify your render engine (Lux, 3Dlight, Octane, etc). 2. Original shaders must only be rendered in 3Dlight. If you render only pantyhose with external shaders you can use any engine.”
or “The full main product (i.e. pantyhose AND shaders) must be used.”
I don’t know, just tossing some ideas there -_-
Please don’t take this as a critisism, I’m finding your work to be very good, customer support policy (especially with Aging morphs transfers) admirable and prices nice. I just think the wording of the contest rules/intentions was a bit unclear, that is all -_-

Signature 

Original Genesis shape and Genesis morphs transfer to G2F/G2M, G2F/G2M clones for Genesis
a way to transfer morphs to Genesis without Gen-X

Posted: 18 April 2013 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  575
Joined  2011-02-03

I think the point is missed here this is his contest he can set the rules how he likes. Just like Stonemason did on his or Ken Gilliland did with his. Or any number of other contests that happen on this board or any other.

You used car racing as an example well they all have rules they must follow engine size and power, height clearance etc if they fail to meet any of these requirements they get fined or disqualified.

Now I don’t know about everyone else but I learned to render in DAZ first with 3dlight before I ever picked up anything else.

I have only been at this a little over a year and am still not very good but that doesn’t stop me from entering a contest with restrictions and more importantly no restrictions because I know I am so far below the level of most people here that it is pointless most of the time for me to try but I do it anyway for the practice.

I see no problem with contest restrictions and rules if you don’t like the rules then don’t enter. Just like if a contest comes up and I don’t have what is required be it model, program or plug-in, I might be bummed but I just don’t enter.

Signature 

My DAZ Gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/68
My deviantART http://kitashrak.deviantart.com/

Posted: 18 April 2013 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-05

I did specify the render engine and said Daz studio renders only, but that has upset some people.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 18 April 2013 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-05

Just re-reading the thread I noticed its only one or two people that has an issue with the rules. That does not justify a rule change as others are happily posting. So the rules will not change for this comp. This decision is final. I will consider all these suggestions for any future comps. The reality is that the comp is already in action and I cannot change the rules.

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 18 April 2013 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2012-02-04

I just want to say I am not overly “upset”.  I assume most contests I can’t compete in because 95% of the time they have some rule that I don’t abide by.  But I also understand it’s their option to define the contest as they want.  And you can’t please everyone; you will always alienate some folks.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 18 April 2013 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1590
Joined  2008-02-14

It’s fairly clearcut,  whoever runs the contest,  sets the rules.  Your choice to participate,  well,  that’s up to you.

Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 18 April 2013 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  293
Joined  2007-05-08
Zev0 - 18 April 2013 09:19 AM

edited…

I’m not even sure how to respond to the OP. A contest and it’s rules are up to the person(s) hosting the contest, what ever the rules may be… They are what they are, and selected for whatever reason. No need for rhyme or reason.

As far as the “only in DAZ Studio 4.5”... Sheer Greatness! is a DS4.5 (and above) only product.  It’s cool that is works (partly) in LUX or Octane, but it still was created for DS4.5, and that is the only product that it is officially supported for.

Zev0 did the panty hose part of this product… My baby is the shader, so of course I’m more partial to that part of the product. I’ve done some ‘comparisons’ between DAZ Studio and LUX (using LuxRender) and the shader does not completely translate to LUX. (See render below) I know that in the contest you do not have to use my shader, but of course I want to see what’s done with it! Since it really only works completely as intended in DS4.5, then I feel that DS4.5 should be the only product used to create the renders for this contest.

The LUX render was a real quicky (but you can see the direction it’s going) I’m not saying it’s bad, but it’s not rendering the same as the DAZ render. My guess is that the Inner/Outer Blend is not being picked up by LUX.

Image Attachments
DAZLUX.jpg
 Signature 

My DAZ Store

Posted: 18 April 2013 05:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2609
Joined  2010-11-30
cwichura - 18 April 2013 09:00 AM
Male-M3dia - 18 April 2013 08:35 AM

The problem with this (and what prompted your thread), is that you failed to understand what the contest was about, which was to show zev0’s product, which was based on shaders native to DS.

In truth, that’s what pretty much every ‘contest’ here at DAZ is—a marketing/promotion gimick, not really a contest.  They can be fun, but I’ve never entered a single one because they invariably have far too many silly restrictions (the one that is the biggest show-stopper for me is the requirement to post the render to the DAZ forum thread for the contest only and nowhere else; I will never, ever upload a render to the DAZ forums).

How else would one submit an entry, though? It isn’t realistic to expect everybody to have massive-capacity email inboxes that can handle the number of entries the average contest here gets.

Signature 

Rob Kelk (a.k.a. “the guy with all those freebie lists”)

Come take part in the Freebie Challenge, or the RRRR, or one of the other contests. I think Jaderail would have wanted that.

Posted: 18 April 2013 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-05

-Having all entries in a single location makes judging easier.
-Some people host images on sites that require a login to view and it complicates the process and we have to follow up and ask for a new link. -Some people host images on dodgy or untrusted sites.

For these reasons, we prefer all entries are listed here. It makes sense also because it is directly related to the product and the site.

However we have given some rope to this. Here is one of the rules for our comp regarding this matter-

All submissions must be placed in this forum. (note: If the forum compression really messes up your render you may also put a link to the render somewhere else that does not compress the image.)

Signature 

My Daz Store
My Rendo Store

Posted: 18 April 2013 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1684
Joined  2005-12-31

Gosh a thread trying to control someone’s behavior as they run a contest. Why is this such a common theme around here these days?  Don’t knock other people because they have goals with their contest that don’t meet your own goals or requirements or ideology or what ever. If your really unhappy about someone else’s choices make your own choices and run your own contest with your own rules and goals rather than trot out the negativity.

Posted: 19 April 2013 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7541
Joined  2006-03-19

Do to the fact the original poster has left the discussion and the topic is degenerating it is time to lock this thread

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

4 of 4