Digital Art Zone

Layered Image Editor Question
Posted: 16 April 2013 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2004-11-27

Hello,

I’ve been working with Daz Studio for a while and I was wondering if it were possible to use the Layered Image Editor to combine the tatoos from M5 Tattoo parlor to a V4 Elite Marie texture without using image editing software?  I’m trying to create a custom texture for a character and this would also help for future projects.

Thanks,

Chaz

Posted: 16 April 2013 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5338
Joined  2008-03-06
devilscion - 16 April 2013 08:36 PM

Hello,

I’ve been working with Daz Studio for a while and I was wondering if it were possible to use the Layered Image Editor to combine the tatoos from M5 Tattoo parlor to a V4 Elite Marie texture without using image editing software?  I’m trying to create a custom texture for a character and this would also help for future projects.

Thanks,

Chaz

Probably not.  They’re not the same UV.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery and tutorials.

Posted: 16 April 2013 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22

LIE is more for adding Transparent overlay things (images) on top of the base textures. Or adding layers like Bump or Displacement to parts that need them.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 17 April 2013 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2008-09-17
devilscion - 16 April 2013 08:36 PM

Hello,

Thanks,

Chaz

See the text in this image.

Image Attachments
popup2_4_7.jpg
 Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 17 April 2013 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2196
Joined  2011-11-16

My understanding with using LIE with different UV maps such as this is that the items don’t line up the same and aren’t scaled the same, thus the ‘results will vary.’ Basically, I would say test the particular tattoo, if it doesn’t work they way you want, make a copy of it and edit it in an image editor and try again. There are some positioning controls in LIE if it’s just a matter of positioning.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 17 April 2013 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1308
Joined  2006-03-14

Gedd is correct.  You can move the overlays around using LIE to control positioning and sizing.  What you won’t be able to do with LIE is cross seams and have things line up.

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 17 April 2013 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2011-08-21

Since this topic came up & is labeled simply as “LIE question” I wont feel like I am off topic when I ask (it is not about that tattoo pack but about the LIE itself).

Back when I first started, I was using DAZ 3A and I had bought the LIE but could never figure out how to use it and since that time I noticed that it says that it is for D|S 2 & 3 and that it is not for use with D|S 4.  Please understand that while I have been doing this for a “little while” now, I am still like a big noob and there is still sooooo much that I do not know.  IF this does not work with D|S 4, how are people using it for items such as this tattoo product with M5?  What am I missing and how do I find it? LOL.  I see my LIE Makeup in my library in 4.5 Pro but I do not see an LIE option anywhere to open it per-se or a way to access that plug-in and I thought there was more to it than just being able to see the options of the addon packs you bought for it in your content library.

Probably stupid question but if someone that can help and explain it in the “for dummies” version, that would be awesome. =)

Signature 

~ Lady Bree ~
cool hmm
——————————
I stink at this forum stuff. Ima absent-minded artist
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 18 April 2013 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3100
Joined  2009-02-24
Lady Bree - 17 April 2013 10:59 PM

Since this topic came up & is labeled simply as “LIE question” I wont feel like I am off topic when I ask (it is not about that tattoo pack but about the LIE itself).

Back when I first started, I was using DAZ 3A and I had bought the LIE but could never figure out how to use it and since that time I noticed that it says that it is for D|S 2 & 3 and that it is not for use with D|S 4.  Please understand that while I have been doing this for a “little while” now, I am still like a big noob and there is still sooooo much that I do not know.  IF this does not work with D|S 4, how are people using it for items such as this tattoo product with M5?  What am I missing and how do I find it? LOL.  I see my LIE Makeup in my library in 4.5 Pro but I do not see an LIE option anywhere to open it per-se or a way to access that plug-in and I thought there was more to it than just being able to see the options of the addon packs you bought for it in your content library.

Probably stupid question but if someone that can help and explain it in the “for dummies” version, that would be awesome. =)

The LIE comes installed into Daz 4.5. To find it, select any image map from the surfaces tab (diffuse, bump, etc) and click on the image icon. From there you can select the Layered Image Editor.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 18 April 2013 04:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2011-08-21

Herald of Fire,

Thank you sooooo much for the help!  =D I am working on a piece for the beginner’s contest and am learning about all kinds of things in the surfaces tab so this is definitely some good info to know.  Thanks again.

~ Bree ~

Signature 

~ Lady Bree ~
cool hmm
——————————
I stink at this forum stuff. Ima absent-minded artist
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 14 May 2013 01:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  667
Joined  2007-05-26

I’ll add my LIE question….Does anyone know of a way to get a LIE layer to rotate other than the 90 degree increments in the panel options? When placing tattoos or scars etc. I often want to do small rotations for better placement. I have had to go back to the overlay image in my 2D app and rotate the tattoo and then bring that back to LIE which is hit or miss.

Signature 

If I want to be a fool then I will be a fool! That is my God given right as an American!

—- Jason from True Blood

Posted: 14 May 2013 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2008-09-17
MrPoser - 14 May 2013 01:51 AM

I’ll add my LIE question….Does anyone know of a way to get a LIE layer to rotate other than the 90 degree increments in the panel options? When placing tattoos or scars etc. I often want to do small rotations for better placement. I have had to go back to the overlay image in my 2D app and rotate the tattoo and then bring that back to LIE which is hit or miss.

That’s where they dropped the ball.  You cannot rotate other than the 90 degree increments A bug was filed about it when LIE first came out but I guess it was not deemed major enought to fix.

Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719