Digital Art Zone

12 of 14
DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.5.2.40) Update!
Posted: 27 April 2013 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  969
Joined  2012-02-04

For the DAZ devs: what method does Studio (and 3Delight) use to handle Ptex on meshes with tris in them?  Does it split the tris into quads?  Is there any standard for this, so that the faceids still match up between different apps?  Or does Studio/3Delight currently only support all-quad meshes when Ptex is used?

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 27 April 2013 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  344
Joined  2003-10-09

Thanks, DAZ_cjones.

I’ve read all that already, and know how to apply the coding for the console.  I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page since you said the DS version can not directly read the OpenEXR, yet the manual states 3Dlight main can (32-bit float RGB).

I haven’t created anything yet.  Just trying to line up all my ducks.  The software I will be using for now is 3D-Coat which I have a functioning (crippled) version to work within, but will not be able to export anything until purchase.  My purchasing decision is going to be based on what you guys do, or don’t do next.  If you guys are planning to include this in any of your software that I own that is eligible for upgrade, I’d rather purchase here.  If not, I will purchase 3D-Coat to create all my work in.

OK, I see that Ptex can include the vector displacement mapping in the same file.  I was going by the limited exposure of how to work with Ptex over at the 3D-Coat forums.  I thought OpenEXR was the default for using the displacement mapping.

So, it appears I shouldn’t have a need for anything other than the .ptx file upon export.

wancow:

I have no need for creating RIB files.  I am not using the stand alone 3Delight.  We were discussing how to implement the use of vector displacement (opposed to standard displacement) along with the Ptex files which are now read by default.  I don’t think we even need the tdlmake console conversions now.

Signature 

Take care all..        “It’s easy to clean up when you got money.”        *Old Post Count:  Don’t know, don’t care…  *New Site Status:  Doesn’t matter one iota.
Ken

Posted: 28 April 2013 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  207
Joined  2006-01-26

this new “urge” for Ptex support remembered the old days when all people was craving for material nodes like Poser in DazStudio, then, the Shader Mixer was created, when dazians craving for Dynamic Clothes, the plugin was created after, now is this Ptex format, well, you will know the rest sooooooon.

Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1312/
http://zilvergrafix.deviantart.com/

Posted: 28 April 2013 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  435
Joined  2012-10-15
wancow - 27 April 2013 09:56 PM

when I render to RIB, I get a bunch of TDL files in the collected folder.  This IS what we’re talking about, right?

Yes this is what I am referring too.

Posted: 28 April 2013 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 170 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-15
cwichura - 27 April 2013 10:04 PM

For the DAZ devs: what method does Studio (and 3Delight) use to handle Ptex on meshes with tris in them?  Does it split the tris into quads?  Is there any standard for this, so that the faceids still match up between different apps?  Or does Studio/3Delight currently only support all-quad meshes when Ptex is used?

PTex defines a method for handling non-quad faces in a quad mesh.  Right now ptex is offered through 3delight only, so its only visible during render, like displacement.  Furthermore, at this time non-tri faces are only support for ptex when the mesh is a subdivision mesh with either the Catmark or DzCatmulClark types.  You can use ptex on a non-subdivide all quad mesh as well.

Posted: 28 April 2013 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 171 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-10-15
DaremoK3 - 27 April 2013 10:56 PM

Thanks, DAZ_cjones.

I’ve read all that already, and know how to apply the coding for the console.  I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page since you said the DS version can not directly read the OpenEXR, yet the manual states 3Dlight main can (32-bit float RGB).

I haven’t created anything yet.  Just trying to line up all my ducks.  The software I will be using for now is 3D-Coat which I have a functioning (crippled) version to work within, but will not be able to export anything until purchase.  My purchasing decision is going to be based on what you guys do, or don’t do next.  If you guys are planning to include this in any of your software that I own that is eligible for upgrade, I’d rather purchase here.  If not, I will purchase 3D-Coat to create all my work in.

OK, I see that Ptex can include the vector displacement mapping in the same file.  I was going by the limited exposure of how to work with Ptex over at the 3D-Coat forums.  I thought OpenEXR was the default for using the displacement mapping.

So, it appears I shouldn’t have a need for anything other than the .ptx file upon export.

wancow:

I have no need for creating RIB files.  I am not using the stand alone 3Delight.  We were discussing how to implement the use of vector displacement (opposed to standard displacement) along with the Ptex files which are now read by default.  I don’t think we even need the tdlmake console conversions now.

The tdlmake’s are the same but Studio does not currently ship with any OpenEXR libraries so the tdlmake application will fail if you try to run it on an .exr.

Posted: 28 April 2013 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 172 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  969
Joined  2012-02-04

Any chance of adding the OpenEXR libraries?  They could also be useful as HDRs for environment lighting…

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 29 April 2013 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 173 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2013-03-06

Reason forum freaks out during posts (seemingly) at random:

1) your login timed out while you were posting
2) someone else finished a post while you were editing yours, and the forum now has its pointers confused.  The only good way to fix it is to go up to your DAZ (not forum) login and LOG OUT, then back in.  If your browser keeps cookies for a long time, it may be wise to kill that browser window/tab and clear your browser cache before logging back in.  Oh, and before all that, take your unfinished post and copy and paste it into a notepad application so it’s saved.  After you’ve logged in again, go to the appropriate thread, hit ‘POST” and paste your reply in.  Hopefully, the thread won’t be so hot that someone posts in the tiny space before you can hit “SUBMIT POST”

———-

About the installer:
Why do some packages not get picked up by the installer?  I’ve been forced to hand-install lately:
The Study Expansion Pack
The Study Expansion Pack 2
Millennium Cat (not LE)
Bast

It notes that the Millennium Cat is part of the bundle Millennium Cat Bundle, but neither the individual page, nor the bundle page have the little DIM icon.

Oh, and the BAST bundle is missing its icons.  The installed product produces this under Mac OSX 10.6.8.  Notice how the system tries to produce icons it doesn’t have.  When I tried to actually install that pose over the MilCat base, I got a “Daz cannot find the following files)” error.  And no texture applied over the poor cat.

Image Attachments
BastIconError.jpg

Posted: 29 April 2013 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 174 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1034
Joined  2004-06-13

I think the bad thumbnails is the result of the png file not being read right.  I’ve had thumbnails like that and the fix was to open them in an image program, if they look right in it save using the default png settings.

Signature 

Push buttons, see what happens!

Posted: 29 April 2013 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 175 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2013-03-06

Yeah but I checked.  There aren’t any pngs.  Even downloaded a new copy by hand and unzipped it to see.  That’s why I know the bundle is missing the thumbnails from /Runtime/Libraries/Pose/Mat MillenniumCat/

And the other weird thing is that the Bast executables are .rsr files (which I thought DS didn’t do).  Every other file in that directory is either a png or a pz2 format file.

Posted: 29 April 2013 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 176 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8377
Joined  2007-11-06

.rsr’s are just image files, which were used before Poser switched to .png’s in Poser4ProPack—DS reads them, as do older versions of Poser.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 29 April 2013 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 177 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1778
Joined  2011-07-31

Mike, you mean we don’t have to convert the .rsr to .png anymore?

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

Posted: 29 April 2013 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 178 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8377
Joined  2007-11-06
AtticAnne - 29 April 2013 06:15 PM

Mike, you mean we don’t have to convert the .rsr to .png anymore?

Never did in DS, Poser stopped supporting .rsr with P8 I think.  I convert them anyway because the .png’s are usually smaller and better supported.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 30 April 2013 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 179 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15124
Joined  2003-10-09

Probably has nothing to do with anything, but in the older versions of poser, when there was a rsr file in with the geometry file, they would sometimes corrupt and stop the character loading in poser. The solution was to delete the rsr and poser would rebuild a new one and the file would work again.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        E Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 30 April 2013 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 180 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1778
Joined  2011-07-31

Probably a confusion left over from when I was starting with DS.  I don’t use Poser.  I d/l the conversion app way back when I saw it deemed advisable to some forumite.  Periodically I run it because I like pngs.

Thanks for the clarification.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

12 of 14