Digital Art Zone

1 of 14
DAZ Studio Pro BETA (4.5.2.40) Update!
Posted: 16 April 2013 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  229
Joined  2007-11-12

DAZ 3D is pleased to announce the next public version of the DAZ Studio Pro BETA - version 4.5.2.40!

What is a BETA?

Despite our best efforts, DAZ 3D cannot possibly test the software under all possible conditions. So, we are providing this version of the application to the general public in order to uncover problems that were not discovered during internal testing. We expect that there will still be problems and we hope that when users encounter any problems, they will report them to the Bug Tracker so that they can be validated, prioritized and fixed.

As with any software classified as being in the BETA phase of development, you should expect to encounter bugs. Any bugs you do encounter while using BETA software can vary in terms of severity, from minor features that do not work correctly to problems that cause your computer to crash. Before choosing to use BETA software for production purposes, you should decide whether the benefit of new features and bug fixes provided by the BETA version outweighs the risk of instability you may encounter.

What is new in this version? Do I need to update my copy?

The 4.5.2.40 version resolves several issues and implements many improvements since the 4.5.1.56 General Release. More detail on specific fixes/changes/improvements can be found in the Change Log, which can be viewed online within the Documentation Center portion of our site. All new downloads of the DAZ Studio Pro BETA product (SKU: 12000) will be of this version.

BETA 1 (4.5.2.40) highlights are:
1) Updated the embedded CMS client to Valentina 5; fixes several crashes, particularly on Mac.
2) Updated the 3Delight render engine to 10.0.125; see 3Delight Change Log for more details.
3) Added support for TriAx to TriAx Auto-Fit.
4) Added support for OpenSubdiv subdivision algorithms; Catmark, Bilinear, Loop; adds support for edge and/or vertex weights/creasing.
5) Added support for Ptex.
6) Added support for independent UV set selection on Geometry Shells.
7) Added support for Gamma Correction.
8) Added support for Surface Selection Sets.
9) Added the ability to Spot Render to a New Window.
10) Added support for Hierarchical Pose Presets.
11) Made improvements to various CCT tools/actions.

Has the Genesis Starter Essentials content been updated too?

No, the Genesis Starter Essentials content that is provided with the product has NOT been updated.

How do I get the latest version?

If you have previously added the DAZ Studio Pro BETA product to your account, simply locate it within the Product Library [once you are logged into your account] by entering “DAZ Studio Pro BETA” into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the “Filter” button, or by clicking here. Then, simply click the “Download” button next to the file(s) you wish to download and install.

If this is your first time downloading DAZ Studio Pro BETA, simply follow this link, click the “Add to Cart” button on the page and then follow the checkout process.

Can I have the General Release and the BETA installed at the same time?

The simple answer is… Not within the same major version (4.x).

The more complicated answer is yes, but only if you are running a 64-bit operating system and you install the 32-bit version of one and the 64-bit version of the other.

What about the plugins I have?

The DAZ Studio 4.5 SDK has not changed in any way that is binary incompatible, which means that any plugins created for a previous version of DAZ Studio 4.5.x should continue to load and function. That said, as with any new release, there is always the possibility that a plugin has had bugs fixed or features added, so the latest versions should be downloaded and installed if they are provided.

Is there any documentation?

Yes, some documentation is located here.

Posted: 17 April 2013 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  668
Joined  2010-03-13

Quite impressive list of new features, just tested the OpenSubDiv a bit and love it already. UV switch on geometry shells ... that should come in handy as well. Also can’t wait to see if the CMS is more stable on Mac.

Thank you for making this beta publicly available smile

Posted: 17 April 2013 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  719
Joined  2003-10-09

Spot render to a new window? Whoa, got to try that out.  :O Thank you for this update.

Signature 

“It answers all the questions, finally, but not really, but kind of”
- Bob Denver

my deviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com

Smacky icon by Xamag

Posted: 17 April 2013 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10
DAZ_BHowell - 16 April 2013 08:03 PM

4) Added support for OpenSubdiv subdivision algorithms; Catmark, Bilinear, Loop; adds support for edge and/or vertex weights/creasing.

<<<<<<<——-****FAINTS****....

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 17 April 2013 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2780
Joined  2004-04-14

Ptex… I remember reading about that when “Tangled” came out.  cant wait to see how that will be used in DS.

And OpenSubdiv… (swear word) YEAH!!! :D

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 17 April 2013 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  564
Joined  2012-11-06

Wow!  I can’t wait to try this, especially to see if things are improved on the MAC side.

Does anyone at DAZ know if the Lipsynching feature will ever make into the 64bit?  I was told that that feature only seems to work in the 32bit.  I would prefer to not have both versions installed if possible but I do want to start experimenting with AniMate and the lip synching would be a must for me.

Thanks.

Signature 

Get updates on the progress of Capsized the Movie!

“Just because I don’t know the meaning of my art, does not mean it has no meaning.” - Salvador Dali

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 17 April 2013 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  967
Joined  2007-10-17
Renpatsu - 17 April 2013 04:25 PM

Quite impressive list of new features, just tested the OpenSubDiv a bit and love it already. UV switch on geometry shells ... that should come in handy as well. Also can’t wait to see if the CMS is more stable on Mac.

CMS is significantly on the 12 plus Macs we have been testing it on. If it isn’t more stable on all Macs, we need to know about sooner instead of later. smile

Posted: 17 April 2013 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4608
Joined  2004-07-01

how you all like the new beta ?

Posted: 17 April 2013 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  564
Joined  2012-11-06
DAZ_Spooky - 17 April 2013 06:19 PM
Renpatsu - 17 April 2013 04:25 PM

CMS is significantly on the 12 plus Macs we have been testing it on. If it isn’t more stable on all Macs, we need to know about sooner instead of later. smile

I am running OSx 10.6.8 and I would definitely be willing to Beta test.  Do I simply need to add to cart and will the update install through DIM or do I need to do a new clean install?

Thanks.

Signature 

Get updates on the progress of Capsized the Movie!

“Just because I don’t know the meaning of my art, does not mean it has no meaning.” - Salvador Dali

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 17 April 2013 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

how you all like the new beta ?

Working fine for me so far, but I have no idea how to save a Spot Render in a new window, nor do I really know why any of those new Subdivision features are a big deal when very few products even use SubD in Studio. If you can explain either, please do.  smile

Signature 

- Bob Denver

Smacky icon by Xamag

Posted: 17 April 2013 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

SnowSultan, that’s because DAZ Studio is still an afterthought.  It should be the opposite.  See the video on OpenSubDiv I posted in the other thread.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 17 April 2013 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  986
Joined  2012-02-04

Won’t have a chance to play with this for a bit, especially since it can’t co-exist on the same machine as the current prod release.  So…

What exactly are Surface Selection Sets?  Also curious how exactly a hierarchical pose preset differs from a regular pose preset.

And I’m very curious to hear about people’s results testing the new OpenSubDiv meshes exported via Reality (or Luxus) to LuxRender.  And did they finally fix the issue with subdiv levels reverting to max limit of two when a scene is re-opened?

Ptex is cool, but also “so what”, since there are so few tools to create them.  I doubt we’ll see much use of them from content providers.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 17 April 2013 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-04
SnowSultan - 17 April 2013 06:44 PM

nor do I really know why any of those new Subdivision features are a big deal when very few products even use SubD in Studio. If you can explain either, please do.  smile

I use SubD all the time to smooth out the low-poly models that so much Poser/Studio content comes with.  Seems many content creators are still stuck in the mindset that all customers have a 10+ year old derelict of a machine, and if they don’t underrez their products, they won’t sell.  You don’t specifically need products designed for SubD; Studio allows you to apply it to any object you load.

And don’t forget that Genesis is built around the use of SubD…

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 17 April 2013 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

OK, but like I said, those features are really only going to be useful if we take advantage of them. Studio has had normal map support and a very powerful node-based shader system for quite a while and both are going to waste because almost no one is using them. Hopefully since, as Cwichura said, Genesis already uses Sub-D, we will in fact get more models besides it and the Sub-D dragon that can take full advantage of them.

(edit: I do know that you can use SubD on any object, but it’s usually unnecessary).

Now, does anyone know how to save a spot render in a new window? That’s the feature I updated for!  wink

Signature 

- Bob Denver

Smacky icon by Xamag

Posted: 17 April 2013 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-02-04
SnowSultan - 17 April 2013 07:07 PM

(edit: I do know that you can use SubD on any object, but it’s usually unnecessary).

I beg to differ.  I have been working on a render today that uses Powerage’s PowerWhip, and it’s looks like utter crud with noticeable kinks for each bone when you dial in any kind of bend to it.  Edit->Convert to SubD and instantly it looks like a curved surface instead of a stairstep.  Bumped it to two levels of SubD and all evidence of stairsteping was completely gone.  I find I end up SubD’ing stuff in almost every render I do, because the content creator was too stingy with their geometry.  Maybe it’s just that grazing angle shadow artifacts are much more apparent using LuxRender (which I do all my renders with) than with 3Delight or Firefly…  (But the PowerWhip was dreadfully stairstepped even in Studio’s viewport, never mind exporting it for rendering.  And to think Powerage only officially supports Poser, which doesn’t have the ability to SubD an item to rescue it like Studio does…)

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 17 April 2013 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4455
Joined  2004-08-11
wancow - 17 April 2013 04:44 PM
DAZ_BHowell - 16 April 2013 08:03 PM

<<<<<<<——-****FAINTS****....

NICE NICE NICE and updated CCT’s too!  YAY!

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

1 of 14