DoDo making progress ;-)
Posted: 17 April 2013 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5418
Joined  2006-08-27

Just kidding! It’s a fine model Roygee!

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 17 April 2013 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1387
Joined  2011-01-03
evilproducer - 17 April 2013 02:50 PM

Leave it to the PC to get it close, but not quite right! raspberry

Thems fightin’ words!

[Bruce Buffer Voice]
And now; for the Heavyweight Carrara Platform Of Choice! In this corner, the Wisconsin Wildebeast…evilproducer! And in this corner, the Texan Tornado…Garstoooooor!!!!
[/Bruce Buffer Voice]

Wait a second…I just implied that I was Texan…I suddenly feel like I need to compensate by commenting on how big everything is here…

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 17 April 2013 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Garstor - 17 April 2013 05:18 PM

Thems fightin’ words!

[Bruce Buffer Voice]
And now; for the Heavyweight Carrara Platform Of Choice! In this corner, the Wisconsin Wildebeast…evilproducer! And in this corner, the Texan Tornado…Garstoooooor!!!!
[/Bruce Buffer Voice]

Wait a second…I just implied that I was Texan…I suddenly feel like I need to compensate by commenting on how big everything is here…

It’s a good thing Canadians only fight aboot hockey, eh? Bazinga! raspberry You wouldn’t hit a smiley with glasses would ya’? Huh? Would ya’?

Signature 

Posted: 17 April 2013 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6151
Joined  2007-12-04

Thems fightin’ words!

[Bruce Buffer Voice]
[/Bruce Buffer Voice]

Except, of course, for the bodies of fresh water - or so I’m told raspberry

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 17 April 2013 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1387
Joined  2011-01-03
Dartanbeck - 17 April 2013 05:36 PM

Thems fightin’ words!

[Bruce Buffer Voice]
[/Bruce Buffer Voice]

Except, of course, for the bodies of fresh water - or so I’m told raspberry

{rimshot}

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 17 April 2013 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
evilproducer - 17 April 2013 05:35 PM

Thems fightin’ words!

[Bruce Buffer Voice]
[/Bruce Buffer Voice]

It’s a good thing Canadians only fight aboot hockey, eh? Bazinga! raspberry You wouldn’t hit a smiley with glasses would ya’? Huh? Would ya’?

LOL

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 17 April 2013 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  2008-01-01

I notice the Mac version has a chip off - indicative of something broken?  Wonder where the chip is - on a shoulder somewhere?

Thin ice man:)

Posted: 19 April 2013 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5054
Joined  2012-04-07

I miss that order history “you already bought that” of the good ol’ days when bandaids worked sigh, already had a Dodo! [yes I put in a support ticket, hopefully they’ll understand people like me]

Anyhow, the toon chameleon is on sale atm 65% off. Think that’s a glitch so if want one, buy fast. grin

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2013 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Whoa… Done. How could I pass up a deal like that, eh? Now I have the Carrarazard!

Image Attachments
toonimal-chameleon-large.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2013 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

While I was at it… I got Rosie a new vehicle to fly around on: Flydragon, by Orestes Graphics! I’ve been wanting this since it first hit the store. Now It’s all Rosie’s to fly around on as she pleases. Almost can’t wait to show off some renders with her flying this awesome new creature… but, alas… duty calls, and I must.

Image Attachments
flydragon-large.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2013 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07

Progress report ... Lights! I found zee light switch. [at least for some of them, sunshine didn’t do a thing but I do recall reading somewhere that the size had to be huge to get a soft shadow from it].

And with an item selected, I clicked on zee Paint Brush and received a rather intimidating notice ... something about editing masters or creating new ones which would then be applied to all future instances?!!!

Think I’ll leave shaders alone ‘til I’ve read some of those nice tutorials.

My new little mascot there, well, it doesn’t look like the one on the box [yet].
Anyway, here’s a quick render ... and it has “shadows”. grin

Cheers,
C.

Image Attachments
goingtobealittlelatedear.png
 Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2013 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Patience55 - 20 April 2013 10:30 PM

Progress report ... Lights! I found zee light switch. [at least for some of them, sunshine didn’t do a thing but I do recall reading somewhere that the size had to be huge to get a soft shadow from it].

And with an item selected, I clicked on zee Paint Brush and received a rather intimidating notice ... something about editing masters or creating new ones which would then be applied to all future instances?!!!

Think I’ll leave shaders alone ‘til I’ve read some of those nice tutorials.

My new little mascot there, well, it doesn’t look like the one on the box [yet].
Anyway, here’s a quick render ... and it has “shadows”. grin

Cheers,
C.

Think of the sunlight and distant light as nearly the same thing. The icon looks like a 3D arrow pointing in the direction the light is coming from. If your garage has a ceiling, the light can’t get through, which is why it didn’t appear to be working. If you had pulled your camera back out of the garage, then you have seen the effect of the sunlight on the exterior of the set.

Soft shadows don’t happen on any light unless you enable them in the light’s effects tab. The radius of the light is at a default of .08ft in a medium scaled scene. For a sunlight, you’d probably want to manually set it in the hundreds of feet. I usually start with a 100’ and do a test render to see if I need to go up or down with it. The reason they are off by default is that depending on the scene, it can take much longer to render. Shadow buffers are software short cut. They mimic soft shadows, but they have their limitations, such as not respecting alphas or transparencies.

The shaders aren’t 3D paint. 3D paint uses simple shaders. Check out this very recent thread that I started because I needed some answers. It will help demystify the process.
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/20149/

To modify a complex shader you would use the Texture room. The paint brush icon on the top right of your screen. You can also double click on a shader to edit it. Unless you’ve changed your preferences, if the shader is used by more than one instance, Carrara will ask if you wish to edit the Master, which will change the shader on everything that uses it, or if you want to create a new master, which when chosen, will only change it for the item you’re editing it on. The shading system is very powerful and can have a learning curve, but once you see how some things work, you’ll find all sorts of creative opportunities open up.

This example uses no image maps (pictures or illustrations that are mapped to the surface of the object) to generate the textures on the dam. The water does use a picture I painted in Photoshop for the foam streaks in the falls. The foam at the bottom of the dam is also built with without image maps. The same for the cattails and rushes.

Image Attachments
Fantasy_village2.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2013 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Forgot to mention that the lights can be additive in their brightness, If you have three bulb lights set to 100 percent brightness, it’s going to look like a light set at 300 percent. It’s not so bad with spot lights because they can be pointed in different directions.

Try this: Figure out where you want your light sources and how many. Set one up at a time by adjusting it’s brightness, color, range and falloff (which determines how softly and how how quickly the light diminishes as the outer range of the light is reached). Most of the lights default to 400’ in the medium scene. If your garage is only 30’ then 400’ is a bit of overkill. When you have the basic lights set up, then turn them all visible to see how they interact with each other. Adjust as needed.

When doing multiple test renders, I usually try and keep the render settings low enough for fast renders, but good enough to get an idea of my adjustments. On the rare occasions I use GI, I leave that off until I absolutely need to see how it looks before I commit to a final render.

Signature 

Posted: 21 April 2013 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07

I can turn all the lights visible?! That would help immensely, shall look for said device. ty

About the sunlight ... started with car in empty scene however was trying to get some light into the car too so that would amount to basically the same problem as putting it in the garage.

Thank you for all this information. I shall certainly read through it and over the next week hope for some improvements for the next render.

Signature 

Posted: 21 April 2013 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Patience55 - 21 April 2013 12:12 AM

I can turn all the lights visible?! That would help immensely, shall look for said device. ty

About the sunlight ... started with car in empty scene however was trying to get some light into the car too so that would amount to basically the same problem as putting it in the garage.

Thank you for all this information. I shall certainly read through it and over the next week hope for some improvements for the next render.

Oh… you’ll see. We’ll get you up and going in no time. Carrara shall become your new home! wink

Signature 

3 of 5