Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Updated Carrara 8.5 beta next week. Final release end of summer.
Posted: 16 April 2013 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2005-02-17

Poser can do dynamic clothing well, even when a character moves. Why not Carrara?
Why Carrara developers leave this dynamic cloth unfinished for artists and says it is working for new comers?

Dynamic cloth works since Poser 5 (Now Poser 9 still works).
Dynamic cloth unfinished since Carrara 7 (Will it work in Carrara 9 ???)

I don’t get this…

Posted: 16 April 2013 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8240
Joined  2009-07-13

what do you lot not get?
just buy Poser pro 2012 as well and use it too like I very recently did.
I use iClone a lot more too now my Daz figures can speak in it.
Poser has shadowcatch, so has iClone on backgrounds only (both use avi video textures)
so just render your beautiful animated Carrara scene and stick a figure in dynamic cloth in Poser in front of it!
It is all just software, not a life partner you must stay faithfull to shunning all others.
Damn you can even do great scenes in Bryce too for backgrounds!!
Yes I love my Carrara!
glad she has had a few nips and tucks
but hell, I am going to whore around with whatever other 3D tools I can get my hands on too!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 16 April 2013 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Sam smile

Carrara does not have a “Clothing simulation” feature,...
it has Bullet (rigid body, and Soft body) physics,. (still in beta) and while some aspects of Soft-body physics can be seen as “cloth like” ,. it’s NOT a clothing simulation tool, like Poser’s cloth room, or Optitex in DS,. those are clothing simulation tools,. but those are different from physics simulation tools like Bullet.

Bullet is a physics engine, and was originally developed for 3D Games,. it was never built to simulate clothing dynamics on a high-res figure.

Posted: 16 April 2013 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1440
Joined  0
3DAGE - 15 April 2013 04:58 AM

Carrara 8.5,... can take longer to open,... (depending on how much content you have installed)

C8.1 ..doesn’t need to access the content database and read through it,.. or look to see if you’ve just added some new “smart content”

so,. C8 will open faster than C8.5 (right now)... (depending on your content)

I have no content linked to C8.5 other than what shows up in smart content.  C8.5 takes about 25 seconds to open, then another 45 to load smart content, then when I loaded Stolz Genesis it took almost a minute to load the character.  when I selected the chatacter and went to smart content an error came up saying carrara quit working and it chut down the program.  I’ve never had this happen before…any suggestions?  Is v172 stable?

Signature 

“If you get a chance….Take it!  If it changes your life….Let it!.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.”

Posted: 16 April 2013 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6417
Joined  2007-12-04

I don’t use Smart content at all simply because it gives me far too much stuff to wade through…
I’ve even uninstalled the CMS… but I don’t think build 172 is entirely stable, either. It is beta, afterall. Right now it’s running beautifully for me using my Genesis Orcs. But there was a time when I had major difficulties with it. I’d try to save a file and it would go through a time consuming process, and at the end : “An Error Occurred while executing Save As” or something like that. I switched back to 132 and the issue disappeared. Then when DIM came out, I ran a reset on all of my Carrara stuff. I know… DIM doesn’t see that stuff. That was probably why I did it - being rebellious! lol
So the reset gave me both builds, 132 and 172. So I installed 172 again and haven’t been having that issue since. But I remember that the problem didn’t happen at first before, either. And then there were times when it didn’t have that at all… it had me wondering if it was even coming from Carrara. Windows is always updating - and perhaps some update just wasn’t friendly?... I’m too dumb in that regard to spend too much brain matter on it… so I just move on… perhaps by installing a different version build. I save every exe I get from every piece of software, always. I have hard drives dedicated to that, several of them. I’m a bit paranoid to the thought of losing my valuable stuff. I used to save on DVDs. When I put a DVD into the drive only to have it come up with read errors, I quit that method. Now I simply replace my Hard drives now and then when they go on sale, and use the previous one’s as a new unit to store saves on. Works great!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 16 April 2013 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  386
Joined  2006-02-03

No pressure Daz, but I’m holding my breath on the expected release date.  I’m not sure how effective these Martian respiration capsules really are.  The package came with no guarantees.  smile

Posted: 18 April 2013 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  657
Joined  2007-05-26

So 8.5 will be a free upgrade from Carrara 8? If it is going to cost money to upgrade… just call it Carrara 9.

Signature 

If I want to be a fool then I will be a fool! That is my God given right as an American!

—- Jason from True Blood

Posted: 18 April 2013 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07
MrPoser - 18 April 2013 02:27 AM

So 8.5 will be a free upgrade from Carrara 8? If it is going to cost money to upgrade… just call it Carrara 9.

No it wont be free. And with C9 hot on it’s heals a lot of people will be waiting for C9.
I often wonder what motivates DAZ, it certainly isn’t common sense.

Posted: 18 April 2013 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2007-08-26

All I pray for is that the new beta next week with be able to import dynamic cloth from DS 4.5 with the new DUF files. I need dynamic cloth. I’m still using DS 3 and Carrara 8.1 with the DAE import system. It still works for me. So please, Daz, make DUF work with dynamic cloth. That’s the main thing for me.

Signature 

Check out my latest movie: “TRANCE”  at:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya78oBLqRlg

Posted: 18 April 2013 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
ManStan - 18 April 2013 06:12 AM
MrPoser - 18 April 2013 02:27 AM

No it wont be free. And with C9 hot on it’s heals a lot of people will be waiting for C9.
I often wonder what motivates DAZ, it certainly isn’t common sense.

They got behind… Why is it such an issue that they would like to try to catch up? It’s not as if they don’t have a roadmap or anything. They don’t just come up with the ideas for new features a few days before they release it…. I’m sure there is a big whiteboard somewhere with some scribblings on it.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 18 April 2013 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-07

What next week? I just downloaded and installed .204. Unless I missed a build some place, this one is new to me. It actual opened and ran the same .duf that I/O errored out with the last build; which was .172.

Holly, I’m not saying it is an issue. I’m saying financially I can’t ; as I am sure others can’t as well, toss $50-60 at C8.5, then in a few months toss another $150+- at C9.

Posted: 18 April 2013 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  616
Joined  2007-08-14
argus1000 - 18 April 2013 06:36 AM

All I pray for is that the new beta next week

The new beta is already available, check your downloads.

Signature 

These are not the tutorials you’re looking for. Move along.
My old profile

Posted: 18 April 2013 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-07
araneldon - 18 April 2013 08:13 AM
argus1000 - 18 April 2013 06:36 AM

All I pray for is that the new beta next week

The new beta is already available, check your downloads.

I like that stealth thing myself. Prevents a run on downloads at the announcement lol

Posted: 18 April 2013 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

Yeah, I hear you on the money, but we still don’t know what C8.5 will cost. I’d still say C9 in 6mos is a fantasy…

This new beta .204 hasn’t fixed the Spot Render bug. I haven’t seen any sort of list as to what this update addresses.

but I do appreciate the new DAZ download page, that is awesome. Very easy to find my products now and just grab what I need.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 18 April 2013 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-07

I don’t know what DUF is doing to V4, but it isn’t nice, I can’t use a preset multichannel shader on her.

edit to add. Yes, DUF is reordering the shader zones on V4 so carrara multichannels wont work. Meaning carrara’s elite shaders wont work on figure brought in to carrara as a DUF.

Image Attachments
baduv.jpg

2 of 3