Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
The Book is Out - Did Anyone Get Their Copy?
Posted: 13 June 2012 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  0

Anyone remember the contest we had a few months back to get our renders in the new DAZ book?  As I recall the folks whose work was included were supposed to get a copy of the book.  I see that it is out and available at Amazon, but I haven’t seen a copy of it show up in my mailbox, or been contacted via e-mail to get my mailing address (I don’t recall if they took that down when they got my permission to use the image).  Anyone else get theirs?

http://www.amazon.com/Figures-Characters-Avatars-Official-Beautiful/dp/1435461207/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1339578658&sr=8-6&keywords=DAZ

Posted: 13 June 2012 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1829
Joined  2010-10-10

Mine arrived last week. Bit disappointed in it really. Nothing much in it if you have been using DS4 for a while.

I didn’t enter the competition though, I bought it.

Signature 

Wendy

My website: http://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk

Tutorials: http://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_products.php?cat=10

PLEASE NOTE:
My items are NOT to be used on Second Life website.  They have recently changed their TOS and are legally able to take/steal anything uploaded and resell/redistribute to items.

Posted: 13 June 2012 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16390
Joined  2003-10-09

If I remember it correctly, one of the points of contention in the original thread, in the old fourm, was that the people who submitted artwork were NOT offered a copy of the book if their image was selected for the book.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 13 June 2012 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2004-04-23

Same as usual, you can submit your art, someone makes money of it and the artist is left with nothing at all. Main reason I never participate in things like these. If you’re going to make money from a product at least do have the courtesy to pay the artwork for what it’s worth. but that’s just my opinion…...

Signature 

Cool content to build a great world for your toons:
http://www.contentparadise.com/searchimageviewdetail.aspx?searchText=&seller=3DToons

Posted: 13 June 2012 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2005-05-17

I was one of the contest entrants and was told by the publishing company that we would get a free copy of the book in return for the use of our artwork.  I haven’t received mine yet, but was in contact with the editor late last week, and Emi informed me that they were being mailed out last week.  So give it another week or so and if you haven’t gotten by then give Emi an email.  I kept my emails from her and she definitely asked me for my mailing address.

Posted: 13 June 2012 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  311
Joined  2003-10-09
Heatherlee - 13 June 2012 08:51 AM

I was one of the contest entrants and was told by the publishing company that we would get a free copy of the book in return for the use of our artwork.  I haven’t received mine yet, but was in contact with the editor late last week, and Emi informed me that they were being mailed out last week.  So give it another week or so and if you haven’t gotten by then give Emi an email.  I kept my emails from her and she definitely asked me for my mailing address.

Same with me, so they are consistent with what they are saying.

Signature 

Disrupting trains of thought since…. ohhh shiney!

Posted: 13 June 2012 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16390
Joined  2003-10-09
Heatherlee - 13 June 2012 08:51 AM

OK, holds hands up, I misremembered than, but I know there was some discussion about it. In the old thread. red face

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 13 June 2012 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1284
Joined  2008-03-30
wilmap - 13 June 2012 05:46 AM

Mine arrived last week. Bit disappointed in it really. Nothing much in it if you have been using DS4 for a while.

Is there a content cd included with this version, last time i checked the amazon page it didn’t say, gonna have another look tho. smile

Signature 

[Join the little green box collection party!]
Ianz Place
Daz 3D Documentation
Daz 3D on YouTube
Daz 3D Forum Archive

Posted: 13 June 2012 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4901
Joined  2005-08-03
IanzThingz - 13 June 2012 09:22 AM

Is there a content cd included with this version, last time i checked the amazon page it didn’t say, gonna have another look tho. smile

No, there isn’t.

Signature 

Wearing duck crap doesn’t make you a duck - Floki
@Deviantart | @ShareCG
Tutorial: V4 Transmap Brows on Genesis (DS)
Script: Bulk convert V4/M4 mats for Genesis2 (DS/Poser)

Posted: 13 June 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2007-01-29
Vaskania - 13 June 2012 09:48 AM
IanzThingz - 13 June 2012 09:22 AM

No, there isn’t.

So essentially no real reason to buy the book then, huh? The one and a half star rating doesn’t really give confidence in it either. It’s too bad. I was actually looking forward to the new edition.

Posted: 13 June 2012 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1284
Joined  2008-03-30

Thanks for the info smile

Signature 

[Join the little green box collection party!]
Ianz Place
Daz 3D Documentation
Daz 3D on YouTube
Daz 3D Forum Archive

Posted: 13 June 2012 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8547
Joined  2004-07-21

I have requested it to be put into kindle format.

Signature 

Hello, Sweetie!
click me to save my dragon eggs

Who is cuter Loki or Thor?

Play Runescape

Posted: 13 June 2012 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  0

Thanks a bunch for the info!

Posted: 14 June 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  429
Joined  2007-10-08

I contacted the author and he contacted the publisher. They are willing to send a copy of the book to all who contributed images. They need information from you to get it sent.

IF YOU HAD AN IMAGE PUBLISHED IN THE BOOK, AND SIGNED THE PROPER FORMS ETC. DO THE FOLLOWING:

Send an email to Emi.Smith @ cengage.com   (remove the spaces)

Send your address and they will get you a book.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 14 June 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  225
Joined  2009-01-12

Way back in March I had a conversation with, Emi Smith | Senior Acquisitions Editor | Course Technology PTR, and she actually asked me for my mailing address specifically for the purpose of mailing me a copy.

I actually forgot all about that, until reading this thread and then going over my mail. LOL

But as the publisher is in Boston USA, I guess they had never heard of Wales UK, and probably had me down as an Alien, or worse still a communist LOL

Posted: 25 June 2012 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2005-05-17

I got my copy of the book today, arrived via fedex.  I spoke with Emi on Thursday of last week and she had said the shipment had just arrived to their office.  So that was pretty quick service, won’t have time to check it out til after work though.

1 of 2