Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Caricature
Posted: 15 June 2012 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  99
Joined  2003-11-09

pretty neat stuff roy….

how did you go about doint the retopo in hex??

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2012 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1428
Joined  2008-01-01

Thanks Steve - that worked great - works so much better when you don’t have to spend most of the time pulling polys out of the model mesh.  Just a couple of other things to sort out, like how to adjust the clipping plane so that the model doesn’t vanish when I get up close and what happens to my newly created mesh when I’m done.

@admrkirk - that is where I’ve always had the problem when using ref pics - if I had a pad I could draw guide lines on the ref pics - that could probably help a lot.

Posted: 16 June 2012 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2006-11-17

Hi Roygee,

Roygee - 15 June 2012 11:58 PM

................. like how to adjust the clipping plane so that the model doesn’t vanish when I get up close and what happens to my newly created mesh when I’m done.

The clipping as always been a pain. There where options added(edit-> preference-> clip plane), but it is still a problem.

For the retopo mesh, that depends. If you have any object selected when you start the retopo tool, then the retopo becomes part of that mesh. If no object is selected when you start the retopo tool, then the retopo mesh becomes a separate object.

Posted: 16 June 2012 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Hi Steve - I’m getting some understanding of the clipping plane - can now zoom right into the model, but, yes, it is pretty strange.

I’ll just learn this as I have so many other apps - RTFM and experiment.

@hiker_1 I did it pretty much like making tight-fitting clothing - lock the base mesh, make the polys then ease them in/out of the base mesh.  It helped that I made the base mesh a bright colour so I could see what was going on.  Also good to have one orthographic view and work in perspective view - that way I could see the poly go onto the surface and get it to fit tight - pretty painful, but got easier as I became used to it.

Posted: 16 June 2012 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-17

Hi Roygee,

Roygee - 16 June 2012 02:43 AM

Hi Steve - I’m getting some understanding of the clipping plane - can now zoom right into the model, but, yes, it is pretty strange.

The focus does mess up now and again as well. You can press “ctrl+alt+shift” (hold down) and either:-
Right click on screen to “set view focusing point”
or
Left click on object for “selection focusing”
(you can of course change the key combinations/shortcuts in the “edit-> Customize-> Tools” if needed)

I’ll just learn this as I have so many other apps - RTFM and experiment.

LOL. The manual is not the best, it does leave certain steps out in various functions, so it does tend to be a need for lots of experimentation.
I noticed you have joined at voidworld forum. There is usually someone around if you post a question. It is quiet over there, as it appears most current feedback is being made over at Polycount forum:- http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74005&page=73

Posted: 16 June 2012 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2010-09-22

I do not SUBDIVIDE any organic model i make in HEX as the smoothing work like magic in Carrara! I noticed you subdivided your head model. ALso I dont know what program you are gunna stick your head in but Carrara also has some wicked MORPH target for make expressions and Facial movements.

Posted: 16 June 2012 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Steve - yep, picked up on the focussing.  The discussion on Polycount is pretty advanced technically, but pretty informative.  The speed of development and updates focussing on users’ requests is pretty astounding, seeing that the app seems to be in the hands of one person - pretty amazing.

I’m having a lot of fun discovering the capabilities and, as much as I have enjoyed Hex over the years, it seems that it’s time to move along to more advanced tools.

Richard - I also don’t permanently subdivide organic meshes - only did this to demo.  My only rendering app is Carrara and I do the rendering smoothing there - it’s soft selection is better than Hex’s, making it better for morphing.

Posted: 16 June 2012 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-17

Hi Roygee,

Roygee - 16 June 2012 01:59 PM

I’m having a lot of fun discovering the capabilities….

It does have some interesting features. It is a bit of a pain in some areas, but at least it is being developed and the creator is actually listening to the feedback and making changes.

......and, as much as I have enjoyed Hex over the years, it seems that it’s time to move along to more advanced tools.

I can certainly understand that.

2 of 2