Digital Art Zone

3 of 14
Luxus for Carrara alpha release available - Luxrender in Carrara
Posted: 13 April 2013 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  433
Joined  2012-04-01

Change the Luxus renderer from Sampler to Hybrid, then Luxrender uses the engine that uses the GPU for assisting the rendering. Small speedup depending on graphics card, but less limitations than full 100% GPU renderers.

Tried a 1.3 beta, does not work yet.

Which exact scene rk66?

Signature 

Everything about Carrara: http://www.carraracafe.com/

Posted: 13 April 2013 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  0

Desk only works, the other presets not.

rk.

Posted: 13 April 2013 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5940
Joined  2007-12-04
3drendero - 13 April 2013 04:42 PM

Change the Luxus renderer from Sampler to Hybrid, then Luxrender uses the engine that uses the GPU for assisting the rendering. Small speedup depending on graphics card, but less limitations than full 100% GPU renderers.

Tried a 1.3 beta, does not work yet.

Which exact scene rk66?

Thanks. Did you see that AMD released new cpus that have dual graphics cards built into the actual cpu chip? Some 587 CUDA cores or is it more than that? Can’t remember off hand… Cool, nonetheless - and the chip is surprizingly inexpensive for such a thing! Makes a geeky little Computer builder like me wet my pants! But only on the inside… only on the inside! rolleyes

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 13 April 2013 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

So far I’ve only seen them releasing Quads like that, or perhaps dual core too… but no Eight Core monstrosities with the in-built Graphics.
Oh… and those are Radeon cores… silly me! AMD, duh!

I’ve been an nVidia guy for the most part. I tried a high end ATI once and it fried. I never push graphics that hard, so it had to be a flaw… but it still leaves goo in the mouth.
This baby’s got the eight screeming cores with 16GB of cooled RAM to feed ‘em! shock Love it!!!
nVidia Fermi Graphics… nothing special. I just wanted a wee bit of power for my Carrara OpenGL. Carrara’s all I ever ran - till now. Now I’ve got Dogwaffle!!! My 48 CUDA cores have been proving to be quite zippy little buggers!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 13 April 2013 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Valuable quote from 3drendero:

In Assemble room, choose Insert then Lux Infinite or Lux Sunsky to get one main background light, Infinite is like HDRI in Carrara, you need to type the full path to the HDRI map in the Map field.

In the Shader room, you first choose Lux Surface in the Top Shader, then Lux Materials in the Material field below, for example Lux Matte which supports textures. The object can be turned to a mesh light with the Area light material. Recommended to use 1-2 of these, together with the Sunsky/Infinite.

The Interior/Exterior are for more advanced effects, like SSS, something to explore later: http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxRender_Volumes

Render room:
Hybrid renderer uses GPU to assist, some speedup when using a fast GPU.
Surface integrator: Path is faster, but works only for exterior scenes.

In Luxrender: Change lights while rendering. Also you can save files for postprocessing later, like turning off a light.

Hope this helps wink

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2013 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-04-01

Spheric Labs is so fast, we cannot keep up with the learning and tutorial making, here is his tips on setting up materials to start with:

At this point it is totally manual setup and very much incomplete.

Try the following on a single object:
-> Change Top Shader to Lux Surface
-> Change Material(1st slot) to Lux Matte
-> Change Diffuse channel of Lux Matte to texture map
-> set a texture map as you normally would.

For glass do:
-> Change Top Shader to Lux Surface
-> Change Material to Lux Glass2
-> Change Interior to Lux Clear
-> On the Lux Clear -> Fresnel, change the Index of Refraction to Common Glass

Make sure you have a plane underneath or backdrop so you can see the glass

For area light, plug the area light into the Light slot of Lux Surface.

Signature 

Posted: 14 April 2013 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2007-03-03

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you
Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you
Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

“I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me, or am I even in its mind at all?”
- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 14 April 2013 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2012-01-13

Count me in! 

Posted: 15 April 2013 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-04-01

SLG is scheduled for the next Luxrender version.
Early betas don’t work yet with Luxus for Carrara, probably a Luxrender thing.

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2013 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
3drendero - 15 April 2013 08:49 AM

SLG is scheduled for the next Luxrender version.
Early betas don’t work yet with Luxus for Carrara, probably a Luxrender thing.

It’ll come. Then we’ll get to use all of our CUDA cores on Lux calculations! Weeee! shock

This is all so frackin’ cool! (BSG quote use fully intended)

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2013 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1816
Joined  2004-08-24

quick material and lighting test.

Q: is there a way to have a metal shader using a texture map

Image Attachments
lux_mat_test.jpg

Posted: 15 April 2013 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  602
Joined  2008-02-22

I have been out a few….did he work on the instances yet?  smile  Sorry so anxious…

Signature 

+800 or so old forum posts, just so you know I’m not a newb!  tongue laugh

Posted: 15 April 2013 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-04-01

Instances are exported as geometry, so it works, just not exported as Luxrender instances. Not that it matters on modern 64bit OSes with 16GB RAM for <$100…

Advanced Luxrender materials supports mixing. The DAZ Studio Luxus handles that with a separate program still in development, Eluxir. Maybe there are other ways though…

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2013 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  481
Joined  2013-02-02
3DAGE - 15 April 2013 01:01 PM

quick material and lighting test.

Q: is there a way to have a metal shader using a texture map

The latest update fixes the texture map not working in the metal2 slot.

Signature 

-Spheric

Posted: 15 April 2013 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  602
Joined  2008-02-22
3drendero - 15 April 2013 03:48 PM

Instances are exported as geometry, so it works, just not exported as Luxrender instances. Not that it matters on modern 64bit OSes with 16GB RAM for <$100…

Yea, I am laptop bound, with a max of 8gb…and many mouths to feed.  A forest of trees is not pleasant to try and render on my box.  I’ve tried and failed wink

Signature 

+800 or so old forum posts, just so you know I’m not a newb!  tongue laugh

3 of 14