1 of 14
Luxus for Carrara alpha release available - Luxrender in Carrara
Posted: 11 April 2013 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  433
Joined  2012-04-01

Check out the news here, updated:

http://carraracafe.com/luxus-luxrender-plugin-for-carrara-beta-released/

EDIT: Now replaced with Luxus the Luxrender plugin for Carrara – Development/documentation blog:
http://carraracafe.com/luxus-the-luxrender-plugin-for-carrara-developmentdocumentation-blog/

Signature 

Everything about Carrara: http://www.carraracafe.com/

Posted: 11 April 2013 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6130
Joined  2007-12-04

Wow that was fast!
Dude said he looked deep… he wasn’t just a pullin’
Amazing.
I better go and thank him.
And thank you too, for telling us 3d Rendero!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 11 April 2013 08:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-02-22

An important point from the Cafe thread, at least for me:  “...it should be possible to specify [Carrara Surface Replicator] instances as instances to LuxRender and save a ton of bits.”  Yes, yes, yes!  Can you feel that?!?!  smile

Signature 

+800 or so old forum posts, just so you know I’m not a newb!  tongue laugh

Posted: 11 April 2013 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-02-04

So what is going to be better about the Luxus render engine than the one pre-built in Carrara?

Posted: 11 April 2013 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5250
Joined  2006-08-27

Un-biased renderer Vs. Carrara’s biased renderer. There’s been whole threads going back and forth. Personally, I’ve seen just as good results out of various biased renderers including Carrara’s. Mostly I think it’s a new toy. One that takes six days to render a scene that Carrara could render in a fraction of the time.

The claim is that it’s a more real world like renderer. Maybe it is, maybe it isn’t, but that doesn’t mean squat if you don’t understand how to optimize your shaders, compose a scene, or light a scene. No matter what render engine you use it’s still a simulation. If you want photo-real, buy a good camera.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 11 April 2013 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-22

Its not better, it’s different.  Every render engine will have its proponents and detractors.

I like Carrara for Animation, and for its replicators.  (call me shallow, lol!)  Otherwise I work in Poser (and DS sometimes).  I have never been able to get a good handle on Carrara lighting.  Not sure why, but for me, I don’t like the “look” I get.  Seems I need to put in more work in shaders and lighting to get what I think is compatible to Poser (firefly).  I also like Cycles.  I don’t like 3delight. 

Lux…I find lighting easy.  Materials are straightforward. 

I also have an i7 machine, so it takes about 1 hour for a good final render….versus those that apparently take 6 days, running a 386 processor…...seriously, LOL?

So, if this brings together 2 things I like, its a win-win for me!

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2013 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2012-02-04

Thanks for the information.  I think I’ve more to learn with the built in one.

Posted: 11 April 2013 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2008-02-22

Yep, best to learn the tools you have versus hopping from one to another, or else you’ll be like me.  Decent at all, master at none.  wink

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2013 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  385
Joined  2007-07-28

Cool!  I really enjoy using the Carrara interface rather than the DS interface….but I was having fun playing with LUXRENDER, so this could be the best of both worlds.

Signature 

My You Tube Videos
My Gallery

Each player rolls one die
The player with the highest number goes first
Play continues clock-wise

~Milton Bradley

Posted: 11 April 2013 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1116
Joined  2010-11-30

Very cool, was surprised at how quick an alpha got released.

I just made an entry for it in the plugins list.

Posted: 12 April 2013 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  196
Joined  2005-10-18

Excellent news..

Looking forward to it and a definate purchase from me.

Its about time Carrara got some good plugin development again…so please don’t start with the ‘Why do we need this…?????’, silliness.

Cheers,

S.K.

Posted: 12 April 2013 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2004-10-05

it seems to be a great announce!... hope it’s going to be developped!...
  I’m not sure to understand the limits about the surface: they say that lux surface has only one channel… does it means: just color or texture? or, as usual, refletion, transparencies, sss, etc…,?

Posted: 12 April 2013 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  215
Joined  2005-11-06

LuxRender is awesome - I can’t wait to have it in Carrara!

Signature 

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

My DAZ3D Store

My Personal Website

Posted: 12 April 2013 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

for me. the advantages of an unbiased renderer is the real-time feedback while working with shaders, lighting and camera’s,.. and seeing those adjustments directly on the rendering image. ....although I’m not sure that applies to the way luxus / luxrenderer works.

The disadvantage, is that the “shaders” need to be adjusted for that render engine, and the render time (if you let it keep going) can be hours,. since the renderer constantly improves the image with each pass.
but,.. normally you can get a good image in a very short time, with a few hundred passes.

quick test,..  it seems to override, or disregard any multiple shading domains, and uses the main “global” shader, which would normally be the default (grey) shader,... also, the image area seems to be smaller than the “production frame” area in Carrara.

Image Attachments
lux_car_alpha.jpg

Posted: 12 April 2013 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  127
Joined  0

@3dage

here an screen.

I see you have found it.

rk.

Image Attachments
Luxus_for_Carrara.jpg

Posted: 12 April 2013 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6130
Joined  2007-12-04

Personally, I’m really finding it refreshing how incredibly outgoing this fellow is about meeting the needs of the Carraraist. He certainly is going to make it into a nice choice, and I truly appreciate that. Will I ever use it? Of course I will. Give me a new fun toy and I’ll set it where I can see it every day. Give me a fun new toy for Carrara… well now… There you’ve got me thinkin’
And I’ll take some time to mess with it. Perhaps a whole day or more. If it turns into an option that I really want to keep using, then I’ll be busy copying all of my Carrara scenes over to a new spot and adding them to yet another new spot of my browser - so I can start working them into a new Lux way of life. Gotta give my little buddies the same dose of fun as I get, right?

The other exciting thing that’s making my stomach feel like I’ve just crossed the threshold of the top arc of a roller coaster, is that art, especially art with Carrara, and even more so, art with Carrara and Dogwaffle… variety is an important piece of equipment. Carrara (and Dogwaffle smile ) are variety-centric. Adding an entirely new way of shading, lighting and rendering to Carrara is like doubling everything you have for Carrara. Imagine the mix and match possibilities it opens up!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

1 of 14