Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Lifeguard Tower - is it new or NOT?
Posted: 09 April 2013 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  275
Joined  2003-10-09

I purchased the Lifeguard Tower some time ago and it looks identical to the product images for the one marked as “NEW” in the store now.  The only difference is that the product number on mine is 10972_1_dpc and the one currently in the store is sku: 15944.

Can anyone tell me if the product in the store is truly a new version or not?

If it is, what changes have been made?

Posted: 09 April 2013 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1144
Joined  2003-10-09

You’re right. I thought this one looked familiar but there was no ‘purchased’ sign for me (which has happened in other cases even with a SKU change.)

I have the identical prop installed in my beach folder in my old organized runtime as exists in my newly populated DIM-Poser folder.

Posted: 09 April 2013 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2005-06-13

I apologize for the confusion. This is a fixed and updated version, so a new product. The imagery is similar, but different products.

Posted: 09 April 2013 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

If this is “fixed and updated”, then why are we not offered a “FIX” or “UPDATE” for our apparently defective products?

If you explain to us what the “fixes” are then maybe we can make an informed decision about whether or not to spend additional money.

Posted: 09 April 2013 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2723
Joined  2012-02-04

Hmmm, I hope this isn’t a new trend. Fixes and updates to existing products are normally distributed as free product updates. If the product looks the same, it seems like it is the same product. Why the new SKU and requirement to repurchase something to get a fix/update this time, I wonder.

Edit: RonS and I have the same take on this!

Signature 

New member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 09 April 2013 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8356
Joined  2009-05-14

Remember that it is the vendor’s choice not DAZ3D so venting should be aimed at the vender. Just saying. smile I am not saying it is right or wrong.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 09 April 2013 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Here is a comparison of an image I downloaded with my original purchase and an image I just got from the current product page.  Except to scale them to the same height, I did nothing to them - can anyone see any differences? 

I could also do a similar comparison with all the other product shots - they are the same except for the way they are cropped - to my eye at least.  I have seen other examples of this happening and I have kept quiet, but am starting to see a trend that I do NOT like.

As far as vendors go, DAZ keeps a very tight leash on them, so this tendency is obviously done with their blessing.  I for one would like an explanation.

Image Attachments
Lifeguard_Tower_compare.jpg

Posted: 09 April 2013 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8356
Joined  2009-05-14
RonS - 09 April 2013 02:17 PM

I for one would like an explanation.

and I hope you get one. I try not to jump to conclusions so it sure would be nice to know exactly why this had happened.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 09 April 2013 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1144
Joined  2003-10-09

Brittany, thanks for your response. If it’s fixed and updated that’s fine with me but I think it should be noted in the description.

Posted: 09 April 2013 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2756
Joined  2003-12-06

I thought this one looked awfully familiar.

Waiting with interest to see what DAZ says.

If anything.

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 09 April 2013 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  2007-11-30

I recognized this, and checked my runtime. Found it, so I didn’t buy this ‘update’. Seems very similar, so why bother?

Posted: 11 April 2013 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1006
Joined  2005-11-27

Did anybody who already owns the product even try resetting their downloads to see whether they got updates? I don’t own it, so I can’t.

Signature 

The Revolution is coming…

==========================================================

“The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and… ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles…”

- The 10th Doctor, Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens (Series 5, Episode 12)

Posted: 11 April 2013 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes, that’s the first thing I tried - I reset the download, but it only gave me the old version with the old product number - identical to the one I already have.  So obviously, they still have the old version in their downloads, but it is no longer in the store - only the “new” version which I am still waiting to find out about.

Posted: 11 April 2013 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-12-06

Has anyone opened a ticket on this or bug-reported it yet? Sometimes it seems DAZ Support is operating on the “we answered, once, so it’s solved” principle and never look again to see if there are followup replies. I know they’ve been hidously overworked ever since the store changeover, clubbing bigger alligators, but a quick look-in would be appreciated.

Signature 

Posted: 11 April 2013 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17150
Joined  2003-10-09

You have already been given an answer by a DAZ_Person.

Please remember that this product is not a DAZ Original so there’s nothing DAZ 3D can do to change the way the item is being sold

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 11 April 2013 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-12-06

I don’t want to start an argument, but it wasn’t much of an answer, and raised more questions than it resolved. I.e. straightforward “updates and fixes” are not usually charged for, unless it’s something major like the Gen4 clothes Unimesh expansions. We don’t even know what was changed from the original item.

Signature 

1 of 3