Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Introduction + rant
Posted: 05 April 2013 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-10-09

Hi.

My name is spacezoomer. But I prefer to go by Red Blood Cel. I am 22 years old as I type this, going on 23. I live in Houston, Texas and I love to animate. I have no experience in 3D animation, only cel animation, hence Red Blood Cel. I have a strong affinity for non-photorealistic rendering, and rotoscoping. I hope, with your help, to create a cel-shaded mo-cap film, or even a clip. I just love cel-shading. I find computer animation is a lot more appealing when it’s doing it’s own thing, rather than trying to be state-of-the-art, and super real. That’s why I like cel animation and cel shading so much. It’s simple. It is it’s own thing. I never saw Rise of the Guardians, but I did see How to Train Your Dragon, and I can’t help but wonder what it might have looked like if it was cel shaded.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m just talking out of my butt. I don’t mean to bash CGI. This is just what I think. Oh well. I hope you like me anyway.

Signature 

Non-Photorealistic Computer Animation is Fun! grin

Posted: 05 April 2013 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-12-07

I don’t like you and yes you’re talking out of your butt grin

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 05 April 2013 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2012-10-09
cridgit - 05 April 2013 09:03 AM

downer You’re joking, right? Please tell me you’re joking.

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2013 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8004
Joined  2009-07-13

no, farting, OUT HIS BUTT!!!
Think you will like 3DU toon generations and props somehow tongue rolleye
you might also like Smithmicro’s Anime studio
but even high poly detailed Daz models can be toon rendered
play with the software and enjoy!

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 05 April 2013 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2012-10-09
wendy♥catz - 05 April 2013 09:53 AM

no, farting, OUT HIS BUTT!!!
Think you will like 3DU toon generations and props somehow tongue rolleye
you might also like Smithmicro’s Anime studio
but even high poly detailed Daz models can be toon rendered
play with the software and enjoy!

Thank you. I’ll check those wares out. But I knew you could do toon shading in DAZ. I also want to know if you can do mo-cap. Like I said, I want to make a cel-shaded mo-cap clip. With whatever is or can be readily available to me (not to mention affordable.)

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2013 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5130
Joined  2008-03-06

Is cel-shaded mocap not also known as “rotoscoping?”

I’m not sure DS/Poser is the best tool set for that.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 05 April 2013 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2012-10-09
SickleYield - 05 April 2013 01:39 PM

Rotoscoping is hand-drawn. I already know how to do that. But I’m sure I could find some way to make it work. If not, I’ll just fiddle about with the software until I make the character I want. I’ve already got realistic proportions. If I can’t do mo-cap, can I at least compose my own character models in DAZ?

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2013 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5130
Joined  2008-03-06
j_mk_5290 - 05 April 2013 01:44 PM

Rotoscoping is hand-drawn. I already know how to do that. But I’m sure I could find some way to make it work. If not, I’ll just fiddle about with the software until I make the character I want. I’ve already got realistic proportions. If I can’t do mo-cap, can I at least compose my own character models in DAZ?

No.  DAZ Studio is a rigging, rendering and animation tool.  Modeling has to be done in another program first.  I use Blender, others use Hexagon, advanced artists often incorporate Zbrush, etc.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 05 April 2013 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2012-10-09
SickleYield - 05 April 2013 01:54 PM

No.  DAZ Studio is a rigging, rendering and animation tool.  Modeling has to be done in another program first.  I use Blender, others use Hexagon, advanced artists often incorporate Zbrush, etc.

Ah. Darn. But that makes sense anyway. Thanks very much. I’ll look that up as well. This was very helpful to me. I think I’m gonna like it here.

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2013 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  901
Joined  2009-12-07
j_mk_5290 - 05 April 2013 09:08 AM
cridgit - 05 April 2013 09:03 AM

downer You’re joking, right? Please tell me you’re joking.

Yes of course - that’s why I put that laughing face. I realize re-reading my post that it could easily have come across different, so I’m glad you didn’t take offense grin

Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 06 April 2013 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7518
Joined  2012-09-10

No jokes here, just a simple welcome!  Surf The Commons and the New User Thread and you’ll get a better feel for what you can do in DS. (Daz Studio)  Have fun!

Signature 

SILO Step By Step
The Art Studio: Thread #5   Product Discussions
Beginners Videos Thread-

Posted: 28 April 2013 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2013-04-28

I think old school, hand drawn, cel shaded, rotoscoped, stuff is great. I know less about doing it than you do. Just saying. Lol

Posted: 28 April 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Well just to clarify, that’s what rotoscoping means in animation, and is it’s original definition from what I understand. However, it has been appropriated by the video industry and there refers to hand touching up frame by frame an image. So, in non hand-drawn animations it could also refer to cleaning up tweens. As to the comment about 3D art sticking to ... well you do realize Hollywood couldn’t exist as it is without 3D effects, most of which you nor pretty much anyone else could discern from real world effects they replace. You would have a hard time finding any movie that doesn’t incorporate 3D effects, even those that don’t appear to have any special effects at all.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 29 April 2013 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2013-04-28

Didn’t know it also meant tweening or cleanup. I think of it in its original context. It also helped Prince of Persia become an early best selling game, rotoscoping. It added reality to the animation.

Animated film was pretty much dying out due to the cost and labor intensiveness of hand drawn cels. Until computer art came along. I still can’t help but love old school stuff.

Posted: 29 April 2013 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Yes, I really enjoy and appreciate the artistic aspect of hand done Japanese Anime. My point earlier was that computer effects most often go totally unnoticed (actual quote from interview with ... don’t remember exactly atm but was someone like Stephen Spielberg, George Lucas… ) So the comment about not liking the look of it is by definition based on a limited view of poorly executed cg.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 30 April 2013 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

I don’t know what you mean by mocap.  MoCap is Motion Capture.  Live Action motion captured to, most often, recreate joint rotations from a live actor on a 3D figure.  If you can produce BVH files, you can use those in D|S or Poser or a variety of other software packages.  There’s also a way to do it with XBox Kinect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJjGARddmlo http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=uLF6C3D6xfg
So far as cel rendering.  That’s a function of shaders and rendering.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

1 of 2