Digital Art Zone

Metadata tutorial - Adding new items to your smart content
Posted: 05 April 2013 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2755
Joined  2009-02-24

I originally posted this in the new user forum, but I decided to tidy it up a little and give it its own thread. Here I’ll run through an example where I took 3D Universes’ Toon Boy Sam and added metadata so that both he and his wardrobe appear in the smart content tab similar to most newer items for Genesis and beyond.

What is Metadata?
Simply put, metadata is information which Daz loads from its database telling it where to find items and what those items are compatible with. Click on Genesis, for example, and the Smart Content pane will change to list the items compatible with it. This can be anything from skins to clothes, hair and accessories. Hairstyles might have different materials to choose from, all of which can be displayed in the Smart Content pane when you select the item you want.

Metadata allows us to control what is listed, where it is listed and what items it’s compatible with.

What items can use Metadata?

Anything that Daz can load can have associated metadata. It doesn’t matter if it’s a paid legacy item or a freebie downloaded from ShareCG. As long as the item can be found in your content library, you can add metadata to it so that Daz can find it and add it to the Smart Content pane.

User made morphs designed for Genesis can be added too, but bear in mind that Genesis will already have a compatibility base set for it, so be sure not to make alterations to the Genesis metadata or other content may not function properly.

Getting Started
As stated earlier, I’ll be going step by step to taking Sam and adding metadata for both the character, his wardrobe and hair. To illustrate the workflow I like to use, we’ll start at the upper level, which in most cases is the figure itself, and work down through the hierarchy.

1) First, browse to the content library and find the character you want to add metadata for.

2) Right-Click the tab where it says “Content Library” and choose “Content DB Editor”

3) In the window that appears click on your character in the top section and in the ‘Type’ drop down, choose ‘Actor’

4) In the bottom section, click on ‘Categories’ and then right-click !Sam and then go to “Add Root Categories to Selected Files”

5) Look in the list which follows for the category which most suits your character. In the case of Sam I chose Default/Figures/People/Male/Stylized.

Your character is now available to find in the Smart Content pane, but won’t have any compatibilities set yet.

Setting up character compatibility

1) Assuming you still have the Content DB Editor up, look in the bottom pane for “Compatibility” and click on it.

2) Select your character from the list and then click on the dropdown box where it says “Not declared”. Change it to “Declared As”

3) Your figure needs an identifier. There are two ways to do this. You can either manually type in an identifier in the box supplied, or you add it by clicking on the Database button to the right. The latter brings up a window where you can click the icon in the top-right to add a new compatibility base. In my case, Sam was added to “3D Universe/Toon Boy Sam”.

4) Click Accept and close the Content DB Editor and then load your figure into the scene. Click on your figure in the Scene tab.

5) Guide your mouse cursor to the options icon near the edge of the pane. Click on it and go to Edit ->Scene Identification.

6) In the box which follows you can now tell Daz to set his compatibility base to the identifier you set earlier. In my case, again, it’s “3D Universe/Toon Boy Sam”

You’re now prepared to add in items for his wardrobe.

Image Attachments
Meta1.JPGMeta2.JPGMeta3.JPGMeta4.JPGMeta5.JPG
 Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 05 April 2013 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-24

Here are the screenshots for the remainder of the above tutorial. Next up we’re adding Sams wardrobe so that it will appear when Sam is clicked on!

Image Attachments
Meta8.JPGMeta9.JPGMeta10.JPGMeta11.JPGMeta12.JPG
 Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt

Posted: 05 April 2013 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-24

Now we need to add Sams wardrobe to this growing list so he doesn’t catch a cold. To do this, we’ll be following a similar route as shown earlier. That is, to set up his clothing items with their own declarations and make them compatible with Sam.

Adding the wardrobe

1) Once again we’re browsing through our Content Library to find the content we want to add the metadata to. In my case, it’s the same folder as Sam, but yours may vary.

2) Select a number of like objects. For example, if there are lots of shirts, as in my case, select them all. You might have a number of dresses, or pants or skirts.

3) In the Type dropdown box, make an appropriate selection. Most clothes are listed under “Follower”, so my shirts end up as Follower -> Wardrobe -> Shirt. This does not affect where the item will be shown in the Smart Content tab. This gives a tab of ‘Wardrobe’ to the item and has the effect of offering to replace any similar items placed on your character if one is already being worn in that slot.

4) Again, in the bottom pane we want to set a category for the items to appear in. This is where they will appear in the Smart Content pane. Choose to add a new Root Compatibility Base and choose the appropriate wardrobe category. In my case this is Default/Wardrobe/Shirts.

6) Click on the Compatibility tab and then right click an item. Choose to add compatibilities to selected files. Here we want to select the figure the wardrobe item is for. In my case this is ‘3D Universe/Toon Boy Sam’

7) Repeat the process for the remaining items, categorizing each one depending on their type.

At this point you’re done as far as a compatible wardrobe is concerned. However, if you have materials for the wardrobe items you might want to add compatibility settings for the individual items, which we’ll cover next.

Material settings

1) As with the figure, the first step is to edit the data for the root item, in this case the item or character we have materials for. Bring up the Content DB Editor for it.

2) Click on the item in the top pane you’re want to work on. For this example I’ll use Sadie’s Little Dream dress and materials. Click on Compatibility in the bottom pane.

3) Give it a name by clicking the “Not Declared” box at the bottom and changing it to “Declared As”. Either type in or set your definitions as described earlier in this tutorial. In my case this is ‘3D Universe/Sadie Dream/Dress’

4) Load the dress into the scene and go to the scene tab. Click on the dress and then the icon in the corner of the pane. Go to Edit -> Scene Identification. Set the Compatibility Base to the definition we added earlier (‘3D Universe/Sadie Dream/Dress’ in my example).

5) Browse to your materials in the Content Library. These are usually stored in ‘Pose’ if it’s older content. Bring up the Content DB Editor once again.

6) Here you want to set the type to ‘Preset -> Material’

7) Set the category to /Default/Materials/Wardrobe. If it’s not a wardrobe item, for example hair colors, adjust this as necessary.

8) Set the Compatibility to the definition we created earlier. Again, in this example I used ‘3D Universe/Sadie Dream/Dress’

9) Accept the changes.

You can now open a figure, add their clothes and colour them all from the Smart Content tab. You can use these guidelines to add just about anything to the library. If you require additional help with specific problems or the like, feel free to either reply to this thread or PM me. I’m more than happy to answer your queries.

Have fun!

Image Attachments
Meta6.JPGMeta7.JPGMeta17.JPGMeta14.JPGMeta15.JPG
 Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt

Posted: 05 April 2013 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-24

And the last example image showing how the compatibilities are set for the dress to accept materials.

Image Attachments
Meta16.JPG
 Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt

Posted: 06 April 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2005-11-11

Wow!. Thanks. This is very useful

Posted: 06 April 2013 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-24

Glad you found it helpful. If you need help with any specifics, you can drop me a line and I’ll do my best to respond and update the tutorial as necessary.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt

Posted: 15 June 2013 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  526
Joined  2011-06-14

Thanks a lot for sharing! So helpful! Print Print Print wink

Signature 

During the year of abundance, the grass was so high that the cows had to jump to graze on.
kadix - V3Digitimes
My Store at DAZ : http://www.daz3d.com/v3digitimes
My Deviant Gallery : http://rankerx.deviantart.com/

Posted: 08 July 2013 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2003-10-09

I searched the forums to find this information and am so grateful for this post.

I am on call for work this week so my ‘render’ time is going to be short, but can’t wait to find the time to try this.

Signature 

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Posted: 22 March 2014 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  125
Joined  2011-02-05

Awesome…been wanting to know how to do this for ages…...Kudos..grin

Signature 

My DAZ 3D Gallery
My DeviantArt Gallery
My Flickr Photostream
My DAZ 3D Cookbook
“Those are my principles, and if you don’t like them…well I have others.”