Digital Art Zone

3 of 7
WIP Thread for New User Contest - April 2013
Posted: 08 April 2013 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2012-11-22
After reviewing @chohole's tutorial on her website, I retextured the tshirt in the Odd Outfit. I used patterns from colourlovers.com and attribution for the patterns I used goes to joeseven. I also used the EHSS for the skin. I know it looks like one of those really bad portrait shots for school pictures but it's a work in progress smile My next step is to improve the appearance of the hair. It's very flat looking although that could just be my lighting setup. Does anyone have suggestions for hair shaders? This is a lot of fun by the way wink

Edit: I haven't done any post work yet.

[ Edited: 08 April 2013 08:09 AM by stormlyght ]
Image Attachments
stormlyght_8April2013.jpg

Posted: 08 April 2013 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2005-02-08
If I were still able to do art the old fashioned way, by hand, this would count as a sketch. Anybody got any input on the pose?
Image Attachments
april_rough_1.jpg
 Signature 

the Evil Kitten Project

Posted: 08 April 2013 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2012-03-27
Sithkitten I like the pose. It turned out good. As for the hair where can you get it? Is it a freebie or paid product?
 Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_10.png

Posted: 08 April 2013 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2012-01-03
Sith I am no expert but I found with poses the hardest thing is to get the "stiffness" out of the character. Maybe a slight bend at the neck and wrist and the hair is a bit to symmetrical, I know when I was working on a pose with a gal holding a sword just by moving a finger a little bit would change the whole look....I also recommend standing in front of a mirror to see the little body cues you give off, just make sure no one is around or you will get some ...remarks grin

Posted: 08 April 2013 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8328
Joined  2009-05-14
the most common thing I see with many poses that don't look natural are the Collars haven't been touched.Dropping the Collar bones instantly adds a relaxed start to the pose. Only tension in the body movement should dictate how far they then come up, reaching up, out etc.
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 08 April 2013 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-27
Progress so far.
Image Attachments
01.jpg
 Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

Posted: 08 April 2013 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2005-02-08
Tweaked the shoulders a bit, but changing the camera angle made me even happier.
@Ilena52: it's the Pure Hair: Lovely. Unfortunately not free.
@Szark: have you been talking to my dance instructor? I read your post and could hear her in the background, saying "Drop your shoulders!"
@nreed: Agreed. I have a heck of a time with the stiffness, because I can never pin down what part doesn't look right.
Think I've got the pose part okay now, time to concentrate on the textures. Unless, of course, someone sees anything glaringly obviously just not right. smile If so, by all means, let me know!
Man, I'm a doofus today. Forgot to attach the modified pic.
[ Edited: 08 April 2013 04:49 PM by sithkitten ]
Image Attachments
april1.jpg
 Signature 

the Evil Kitten Project

Posted: 08 April 2013 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3803
Joined  2012-02-06
Good start, everyone! It's interesting to see all the different ways people are approaching this theme...

@Cyonix: the character looks good.
@bluemoon: great start! Not sure what's the cause of the lighting problem, though.
@BWSman: very cool image... Wondering what you'll come up with next! wink
@NV Oracle: I hope you will join! Still plenty of time...the deadline is April 30. Just one item needs to be untextured or retextured. Not even the main item, necessarily, though it should be an important item.
@Jindi: personally I think the reflection looks great.
@stormlyght: nice job with the texturing! As far as the hair is concerned, I have a hair tutorial (link in my sig) with some tips on that. wink
@ilena52: the tree bark looks nice...is that the part you retextured? Her eyes have an odd glow to them...not sure if that is intended.
@sithkitten: I definitely think the pose is better in your latest than in the previous version. Curious to see how this develops...

Keep up the good work, everyone!
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 08 April 2013 08:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
Loving all the work I see so far. This looks to be a great contest this month.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 08 April 2013 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  126
Joined  2012-11-22
Scott-Livingston - 08 April 2013 08:40 PM
Good start, everyone! It's interesting to see all the different ways people are approaching this theme...
@stormlyght: nice job with the texturing! As far as the hair is concerned, I have a hair tutorial (link in my sig) with some tips on that. wink

Thank you! I'll be reading your hair tutorial smile

Posted: 09 April 2013 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  843
Joined  2012-12-30
Thanks for the feedback and yes it's fun to see all the different works in progress.

___

@Sithkitten, I knew there was something odd about that horse... smile Thanks for pointing out the missing tail, I'll have to see what I can do about that.

I agree about the angle, the tighter I went in on this the more it told the story. Also agree about the inside of the vase and I think the problem is that it doesn't actually have a base so a circle of wooden table is reflecting up. I hope to have more time to play with this on the weekend.

----

@stormylight, I like the patterns and colour combination of that outfit. I look forward to seeing the finished renders from you and everyone else here.
 Signature 

Head on over to Art Studio for Novica and Invited Contributors Tips and Reviews
External links: Historic Sale and Deal Data (updated daily) 

Posted: 09 April 2013 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-03-27
Scott-Livingston - 08 April 2013 08:40 PM

@ilena52: the tree bark looks nice...is that the part you retextured? Her eyes have an odd glow to them...not sure if that is intended.

Keep up the good work, everyone!

No. It's not re-textured . Aiming to do it though. Which is going to be a challenge. And if the tree fails I guess there is still her clothes. No it's not intended. Her eyes are white and around the eyelashes it's all thick black. Still banging the head on how to fix it.
 Signature 

AD
“)

Posted: 09 April 2013 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8328
Joined  2009-05-14
sithkitten - 08 April 2013 04:47 PM

@Szark: have you been talking to my dance instructor? I read your post and could hear her in the background, saying "Drop your shoulders!"
There may have been words exchanged. LOL
 Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 09 April 2013 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
Ilena52 - 09 April 2013 06:03 AM
No. It's not re-textured . Aiming to do it though. Which is going to be a challenge. And if the tree fails I guess there is still her clothes. No it's not intended. Her eyes are white and around the eyelashes it's all thick black. Still banging the head on how to fix it.
Take a look in your Texture folder for the Eye parts. Find the Eye lash trans map for a figure. And then make your own transparency map for the lashes. We will help you as much you need.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 09 April 2013 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3803
Joined  2012-02-06
Ilena52, when you get a chance, I'd like to see a close-up of her face to get a better sense of what's going on with the eyes.
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

3 of 7