Digital Art Zone

2 of 7
WIP Thread for New User Contest - April 2013
Posted: 06 April 2013 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2012-03-27
Rough draft of the entry. Done in Carrara.
Image Attachments
002.jpg
 Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_10.png

Posted: 06 April 2013 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  139
Joined  2008-05-09
Here's a quick WIP of something I'm working on for this....all of the character's visible surfaces use these shaders from the Supersuit Pro Bundle:

Skin, Eyebrows and Lashes: 'Starman Skin' shader (with diffuse color changed)
Eyes: 'Starman Eyes' shader
Black Parts of Outfit: 'Trooper (Black Matte)' shader
Orange Parts of Outfit: One of the 'DotSparkle" shaders (with diffuse color changed)
Image Attachments
alien_wip.jpg
 Signature 

My deviantArt Gallery

Posted: 06 April 2013 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2005-02-08
Supposed to be working now, but this is bugging the heck out of me, so here I am. Know how bird eggs can be mottled and splotchy? How can I produce that effect?
 Signature 

the Evil Kitten Project

Posted: 06 April 2013 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  848
Joined  2012-12-30
Here's my WIP. I decided to play with Maclean's Morphing Primitives, which load untextured.

Grass is by Merlin. Most shaders are Maclean's from Morphing Primitives and Room Creator. Patterns are by Marieah.

Image Attachments
yard_sale_untextured_450.pngyard_sale_450.png
 Signature 

Head on over to Art Studio for Novica and Invited Contributors Tips and Reviews
External links: Historic Sale and Deal Data (updated daily) 

Posted: 06 April 2013 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  175
Joined  2012-08-07
Nothing to see here
[ Edited: 10 April 2013 03:17 PM by bluemoon ]

Posted: 06 April 2013 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2008-09-17
Not an entry or a WIP. This is something I did a couple of years ago. Every surface had a shader preset applied (with no textures in the diffuse channels). The left wall & floor have a mirror shader applied with the floor having a gold colour applied to it. V4's hair has a silver shader applied with the transmap re-applied in the opacity channel. V4 has a gold shader applied to all her surfaces.
Image Attachments
mirror.jpg
 Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 06 April 2013 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2012-01-03
sithkitten, the only way I know to make it look the way you want is to make a texture map and apply it. For something like this I would make it a tif format so I can easily change the base color. Here is one I just did from a pic of a birds egg I googled, then imported into gimp and using the clone tool made the entire image covered in the mottled spots. I then used the select by color and chose the main base color, this selected everything but the spots, i deleted the base color. Next I made the now white base color transparent leaving just the dots, I saved this as a tif file formatted image for use in DAZ Studio.

the first is the original the second is the tif ready for use, the third is what it looks like when put on a surface. also I tried to add the tiff but that file type is not allowed....
Image Attachments
EggTexture1.jpg

Posted: 06 April 2013 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2012-03-27
Further progress of the WIP.
Could someone direct me how to correct the obvious problem with her pants and also the eyes please?
Image Attachments
doc2.jpg
 Signature 

In case you have some free time come see what’s displayed My deviantart gallerysmile
AD
“)

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_10.png

Posted: 06 April 2013 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
Fast Fix. Select the Figure and Expand it. Use the EYE to hide the Thighs and Shins. Best fix for Poke through, also If the PART of a figure is Hidden inside another Item (clothing) Hide all you can. This will use LESS Ram at render time and speed up the render.

EDIT: The image is too small for me to TELL what happened to the Eyes. You can post Images up to 2000x2000.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 06 April 2013 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-02-08
nreed - 06 April 2013 05:03 PM
sithkitten, the only way I know to make it look the way you want is to make a texture map and apply it. For something like this I would make it a tif format so I can easily change the base color. Here is one I just did from a pic of a birds egg I googled, then imported into gimp and using the clone tool made the entire image covered in the mottled spots. I then used the select by color and chose the main base color, this selected everything but the spots, i deleted the base color. Next I made the now white base color transparent leaving just the dots, I saved this as a tif file formatted image for use in DAZ Studio.

the first is the original the second is the tif ready for use, the third is what it looks like when put on a surface. also I tried to add the tiff but that file type is not allowed....

Thank you!!! Being the weirdo I am, my mind kept trying to overcomplicate the whole notion into the realms of insanity. But the process you outlined is one I can work with, and the texture you made is almost exactly the look I had in my mind's eye. Thanks so much! Now I can attempt the image that sprang into my mind this morning at work.
 Signature 

the Evil Kitten Project

Posted: 07 April 2013 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  811
Joined  2008-09-17
Jaderail - 06 April 2013 07:39 PM
Fast Fix. Select the Figure and Expand it. Use the EYE to hide the Thighs and Shins. Best fix for Poke through, also If the PART of a figure is Hidden inside another Item (clothing) Hide all you can. This will use LESS Ram at render time and speed up the render.

EDIT: The image is too small for me to TELL what happened to the Eyes. You can post Images up to 2000x2000.
That image is done in Carrara. I don't know if that fix will work in that app.
 Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 07 April 2013 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
BWSman - 07 April 2013 05:14 AM
Jaderail - 06 April 2013 07:39 PM

That image is done in Carrara. I don't know if that fix will work in that app.
OPPS, Sorry did not catch the Carrara bit. Was to busy thing thinking about the Render. My error.
 Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 07 April 2013 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  125
Joined  2009-12-07
This sounds like an interesting contest. Hopefully it's not too late to enter.

I did have one question, though. Does the entire scene have to be retextured, or just the main item? I'm not so good with retexturing things from complete scratch, but I do have a couple of ideas that aren't too far out of my abilities.

Your friend
Oracle

Posted: 08 April 2013 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  848
Joined  2012-12-30
Oracle, come join us! There's a lot of the month left. smile

-----

My progress on my yard sale scene with Maclean's morphing primitives. I like the glass shader (a ShareCG freebie) but want to find a way to make the reflection more obvious.
Image Attachments
yard_sale_7apr.png
 Signature 

Head on over to Art Studio for Novica and Invited Contributors Tips and Reviews
External links: Historic Sale and Deal Data (updated daily) 

Posted: 08 April 2013 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Joined  2005-02-08
I think the reflection looks great as is, but that's just me. Not all glass surfaces are perfectly reflective, and that one looks about right to my eyes. At least on the outside. The inside looks a bit odd. I do want to ask though, did you notice the horse has no tail? They load tailless, poor things...
Oops, forgot to mention. I like this angle much better than the original.
 Signature 

the Evil Kitten Project

2 of 7