Digital Art Zone

4 of 20
My digital comic book composed of DAZ products!
Posted: 15 April 2013 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3151
Joined  2004-04-25

The eyes are also too flat and too dry.  You have the group of women in bright sunlight but there are no corneal reflections of the light.

Signature 

“...not world enough nor time…” 

Posted: 15 April 2013 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3110
Joined  2009-02-24
icprncss - 15 April 2013 01:40 PM

The eyes are also too flat and too dry.  You have the group of women in bright sunlight but there are no corneal reflections of the light.

In many respects, I can forgive that. Realistic reflections on the eyes I feel is an intermediate level talent. It’s hard to get it looking right, and if done poorly it looks absolutely awful. Need an example? Take a look at a render I recently redid in the New User fourms thread. The girls eyes were reflection mapped, but the result was an overbearing shine which blots out the eye colour itself. There’s a good package on the store which I’ve had wishlisted for ages now (curse those new cute things jumping into my cart) called Project EYEris which deals specifically with this.

Done right, you’re correct it looks great. Done badly, and you’re better off without it.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 15 April 2013 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  751
Joined  2012-07-13

Would anyone recommend Reality 2 for DAZ Studio?

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/reality-2-for-daz-studio/92598/

I’m reluctant to buy it because Rendo doesn’t offer refunds!

Posted: 15 April 2013 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3110
Joined  2009-02-24
galactica1981 - 15 April 2013 02:22 PM

Reality is similar to another plugin called Luxus. Both are effectively converters to render your scenes using Luxrender. Lux works very differently to 3Delight, so I’m not sure whether to recommend it or not. Unlike 3DL which has a set rendering time, Lux doesn’t and will continue adding more and more detail until you say enough is enough. The upside is that they can be extremely detailed and lifelike, the downside is that render times are significantly longer on average if you want a clean image.

With Luxrender you also need to think about scene layout far more carefully. Large scenes will take exhaustively long to render. Skyboxes become your worst enemy instead of your greatest ally and lighting is based on real world calculations, meaning you’ll need to be very careful where you position your lights. Also, unlike Daz’s default, if you have no light in a scene Reality doesn’t automatically add one for you. You’ll simply be faced with the inevitable black void.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 15 April 2013 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  926
Joined  2005-11-06
galactica1981 - 15 April 2013 02:22 PM

I can definitely recommend it as most of my gallery at DA is done using it, but since it uses an unbiased renderer (Lux) your render times will increase over what you are doing now.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 15 April 2013 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  649
Joined  2006-11-10

If you want to use LuxRender, I’d go for Luxus if I were you. It’s tied into the DS interface, and easier to save your own shader presets or variations thereof. Plus it allows for custom material editing. It’s going to up your rendertime like crazy, however.

Signature 

Old post count: 3,394,206

Posted: 15 April 2013 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-07-13

How much will the render times increase? And can you give me a link to your gallery?

Posted: 15 April 2013 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-11-10

They’ll increase vastly. Lux is an unbiased render so it doesn’t pull as many tricks as 3Delight to speed things up. With two or three characters and scenery even on a reasonably powerful rig you’ll easily be looking at 24 hours plus. If you have a video card that will work with it, Octane Render just had a plugin come out for DS. It’s a rather similar sort of renderer, focused on realistic lighting and surfaces, but far quicker. More like minutes to an hour for a lot of scenes.

The vast majority of what I do now is experimenting with technical stuff like shaders, plus a personal project with a friend that will never see the light of day, and some character morphing. I don’t have a current gallery. However, here’s the old DA one, if you’re curious [there’s even an issue of a comic in there if you’d like to critique, I’m always up for it and turn-about’s fair play, after all - same goes for any of the images]. And this is at Renderosity, there’s a little overlap between them. You’ll notice I have an unfortunate habit of abandoning things.

This is I think my current favorite of my images. Be forewarned, there is nudity. It turns up with a fair degree of frequency in both galleries, though they’re all flagged correctly for the content filters. EDIT: Actually, I’m rather fond of this completely safe for work image.

I’m working on a short overview of how to bake AO so you can see what I’m talking about by it.

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2013 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  827
Joined  2009-07-05

it takes only seconds in an image editor

Image Attachments
image_modified.jpgSem_título.jpgSem_título2.jpgUntitled-1_modified.jpg
 Signature 

Casemod AKASA Eclipse 62 / intel i7 2600 / Asrock Z77 Pro3 / GTX titan[sold] /  Ram: 4x 8GB, Corsair XMS3 DDR3 = (32Gb) / 120GB Sandisk SSD / HDD 7200rpm 1T / CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900 LED blue / Power suply Corsair CX 750w (80 plus bronze)

Posted: 15 April 2013 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  926
Joined  2005-11-06
galactica1981 - 15 April 2013 04:20 PM

How much will the render times increase? And can you give me a link to your gallery?

Quite a bit, I usually let mine bake overnight, but a couple of days is not unheard of. For what you are doing, lighting will be easy, either sun or softbox/meshlight and you are good to go in most cases
My gallery is in my signature.

As for Luxus over Reality, both use Luxrender so render times are similar. I know a few Reality users that have tried Luxus and it didn’t bring anything great to the table for them other than a lower price, so it’s basically up to you.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 15 April 2013 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-11-10
FSMCDesigns - 15 April 2013 04:59 PM

As for Luxus over Reality, both use Luxrender so render times are similar. I know a few Reality users that have tried Luxus and it didn’t bring anything great to the table for them other than a lower price, so it’s basically up to you.

Luxus can use any material and function supported in LuxRender. In Reality, you have to manually edit the outputted files. Luxus is integrated with DAZ Studio. Reality pops up its own separate window preventing you from easily switching back and forth through different things. Luxus allows you to save your own materials presets from within DS, just as you would save any other materials preset. You can even save shader presets which can then be applied to any surface. Reality saves ACSEL shaders which only apply to the one item. With Luxus, you can load a new character, then Ctrl-click your Luxus preset for an old character, so you can easily apply the settings to the new textures. No such luck with Reality.

Reality is easy. However, it does not offer the kind of power Luxus does as far as working with your own custom settings [and I haven’t yet mentioned the Eluxir Shader Mixer plugin in development, that allows you to tweak materials about as far as your imagination and LuxRender itself allow - Reality has nothing like that]. The only thing Reality has on Luxus is [arguably, since they both need to be tweaked] better automatic translation of materials, and an online materials database you can use to easily get to other people’s settings for an item.

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2013 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1002
Joined  2012-02-04

A word of warning.  If you go with Reality or Luxus then get ready to throw out everything you know and re-learn a whole new system.
If you really want to, try Luxus first.  You can get a refund for that.  I did after failing to get any results I was even remotely happy with.  wink
Frankly doing a comic with either would be a time consuming nightmare.
Good luck!

Posted: 15 April 2013 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-07-13

Which image editor are you using for those photos?

Also, I was wondering what people would recommend for getting better quality outer space scenes. I’m especially impressed with the images for the Shuttlestar product by Kibarreto. I’d love to know how those were made!

Here are some outer space images from my comic. I’m happy with them overall, but I would still be interested in finding ways to make them better.

Image Attachments
Scene_01_-_005.pngScene_11_-_009.pngScene_13_-_018.pngScene_17_-_046.pngScene_17_-_104.png

Posted: 15 April 2013 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-11-10

For space scenes, nothing really beats postwork. LunarCell is great for planets and moons, and there are plenty of easy starfield and nebula tutorials out there that give good results.

Signature 

Posted: 15 April 2013 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  994
Joined  2012-01-29

In one of your pics Earth does not seem to have any atmosphere, that would be certainly something that needs improvement. Real Earth looks much different from space (clouds etc.).

4 of 20