Digital Art Zone

1 of 20
My digital comic book composed of DAZ products!
Posted: 02 April 2013 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1071
Joined  2012-07-13

Hello,

I would like to tell everyone about my new digital comic book which I’ve been working on since last August. It is a science fiction epic called Max Rogers, and it is composed mostly of products from the DAZ website. I hope you will check it out at: http://maxrogerscomic.com

I’d also like to thank everyone on these boards that helped me out with technical problems as I would have been lost otherwise. I should also extend thanks to the following PAs whose sci-fi products were invaluable: Kibarreto, Jack Tomalin, Stonemason, and Dreamlight.

I think I’ve managed to create a comic unlike any you’ve seen before. It’s composed entirely of single-page panels. And because of the digital format, I can make it as long as I want, and so I’m able to draw scenes out in a way that a traditional comic book simply can’t. One person told me that when reading the comic it almost felt like they were watching a movie.

Anyway, I hope everyone will check it out. And if you like it, please let me know!

Here is a video about the comic:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADBfTTsIqZs

Here is a video about the making of the comic:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcbbfh4Vtb8&feature=endscreen&NR=1

The Cast

Michael 4 is Max Rogers
Violet for V4 is Cleo Chronos
Mindy for V4 is Destiny Jones
Reby Sky is Aurelia Aaron
Droid is Rokur

Image Attachments
Issue_1_cover_with_title_logo_and_extra.pngFinal_cast_photo.png4_Cover_final.png2_Cover_-_Final.png5_Cover_final.png

Posted: 02 April 2013 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-07-13

Here’s a few more photos!

Image Attachments
Max_Rogers_Photo_03.pngMax_Rogers_Photo_04.pngMax_Rogers_Photo_05.png

Posted: 03 April 2013 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-07-13

Here is the cover for issue #3!

Image Attachments
3_Cover_with_logo_-_What_The_Bleep_Do_We_Do_Now.png

Posted: 04 April 2013 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-07-13

Cleo, Max and Aurelia!

Image Attachments
Max_Cleo_Aurelia_Pub_Group_Photo_002.png

Posted: 04 April 2013 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  998
Joined  2012-01-29

Hi. It looks like it was a lot of work. Although pictures of a woman clinging to a man in a pose like some of the above are not exactly my cup of tea. I only wonder why your characters look just like DAZ figures straight out of the store (Mike 4, Reby Sky)? If I ever did a comics, I would want my characters to have unique looks, and spinning a few face dials is not so hard.

Posted: 04 April 2013 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-07-13

Well, it’s actually not a risque comic. It’s actually very family friendly. There are no scantily clad women, no vulgar language. There’s romance, but no explicit sexual situations. As far as why I didn’t change the figures, I simply like them the way they are, and most people are not familiar with DAZ so they’re not going to recognize Michael 4 or Mindy or Reby Sky. I hope you’ll check out the comic. I think you’ll like it!

Posted: 04 April 2013 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  858
Joined  2005-11-06
Proxima Shining - 04 April 2013 06:10 AM

Hi. It looks like it was a lot of work. Although pictures of a woman clinging to a man in a pose like some of the above are not exactly my cup of tea. I only wonder why your characters look just like DAZ figures straight out of the store (Mike 4, Reby Sky)? If I ever did a comics, I would want my characters to have unique looks, and spinning a few face dials is not so hard.

Agreed! Seeing as it is supposed to be a comic, i would have went with a toon shader instead of generic lighting, would have made it (and the characters) stand out more.
As for “unlike any you’ve seen before”, seems the storyline isn’t exactly that original and the names, Max Rogers - Buck Rogers, LOL
Can tell some work went into it though, best of luck with it.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 04 April 2013 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-07-13

I looked into toon shaders, but in the end I figured that if I was going to do this, then I might as well try to do something different. And I definitely think I’ve created a different kind of comic book!

Posted: 04 April 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2012-02-12

I think it’s great what you’re doing. It’s an incredible amount of work, and I think it’s good to push the envelope on different kinds of artistic mediums for comic books. And you’re absolutely right - 99% of your target audience won’t know the DAZ characters.

Posted: 04 April 2013 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  692
Joined  2008-04-30

I think it is great also!  I am doing something along these lines as well, so i know its a lot of work! Good Luck with it. 
I would like to know however, if you’re going to offer an alternative way to view the comic other than requiring the reader?  That may deter some folks from it, as it detered myself.

-MJ

Posted: 04 April 2013 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-07-13

I’m curious. Is it that you don’t want to download the PDF file? Or is it the software? Almost any PDF reader should work, and the software is free. It would be nice to post the comics on my website, but they each consist of 400 to 500 single-page panels, and you wouldn’t enjoy waiting for each panel to load, especially if you don’t have a fast online connection. With the PDF file, you can quickly jump from one panel to the next, and it just makes it a better reading experience.

Posted: 04 April 2013 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  692
Joined  2008-04-30

Maybe its my system, but i have Adobe Reader and that wouldn’t read the downloaded file.  It had a funny extension i never seen before.  .c4l or something.  I cant access the site from the workstation im currently on, but the file definitely wasnt a .pdf or any file I was familiar with.

And if each comic is 400- 500 pages, thats one helluva read at a time.

-MJ

Posted: 04 April 2013 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-07-13

Well, actually it’s a CBZ file. There is a free software program called PDF Lite that will read it. And despite the huge number of panels, each comic can be read in about 15-20 minutes because I don’t use an excessive amount of dialogue or narration. What’s great about the digital format is that I can draw scenes out and mostly let the art tell the story, keeping the narration to a bare minimum. I think it makes the reading experience a lot more fun. I remember reading Marvel comics as a kid and feeling exhausted after reading a bunch of them due to them having so much dialogue and narration. I definitely avoid that here. The goal is to make the experience less like reading a comic book and more like watching a movie.

http://www.pdflite.com/

Posted: 04 April 2013 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2815
Joined  2009-02-24

As much as I love supporting artistic freedom, I can’t help feeling that this work might have been improved with proper lighting rather than the default ‘headlamp’ renders. As there have been quite a large number of comics made using Daz figures and props I confess I do look at them from a technical level as well as from a readers perspective. I guess it’s in my nature as I’m a Daz artist myself.

If you’re going for a movie like quality then good lighting can do amazing things. It sets the mood, it highlights parts of the scene you want emphasis on and draws the viewer into the world. Of course, the trade-off for quality is time. It will take longer to render each scene if it’s more detailed. But, as they say, first impressions count and if you can show off a glowing well-rendered cover at least, you can draw in a far wider audience.

I know this might seem overwhelmingly negative feedback, but don’t let yourself be discouraged. A lot of us here are thinking more as artists than as authors, so we tend to judge works on those merits more than the content, at least at first glance. That said, if you have a good story and good artwork combined, you turn a good work into a great work. It’s something to think about for future volumes at least.

Best of luck.

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 04 April 2013 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  215
Joined  2010-05-25

It looks like fun.  I hope it goes well for you.  smile

There’s always room for improvement, but I think what is most important is that you enjoy your work.

Signature 

My deviantart:

http://fuseling.deviantart.com/

Posted: 04 April 2013 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2012-07-13

I certainly don’t mind constructive criticism. I guess I just don’t see any problem with the lighting. I think the pictures look good as they are. Could they be better? I’m sure they could. The problem with fancy lighting is that it makes the renders take longer to complete. When I’m making a comic with 400 to 500 panels I simply can’t have each render taking a half hour or more to complete or I’d never finish the comic! It also makes necessary revisions difficult. Again, I personally think the art looks good as is. I realize that people who are skilled artists make take issue with them, but it just isn’t realistic to spend that much time on each panel. My main goal is to tell an entertaining story, which I think I have. But I’m happy to hear all feedback.

1 of 20