OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 07 April 2013 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1035
Joined  2012-02-04
ohman - 03 April 2013 12:43 AM

As i see it, there is no reason why it shouldn’t be possible to use NURBS or (most preferably) subdivision surfaces directly and use a subdivision process as Rhino, Maya and most other software do. The math is just as well defined as for mesh calculations and not really harder to implement. Meshes are good but limited and resource consuming. NURBS and SubD has been the industry standard for a decade in bigger apps. It is time that DAZ takes this into consideration.

The OBJ file format (which is ultimately how all geometry initially makes it into Studio) doesn’t natively support NURBs.  (There are, I believe, some vendor-specific extensions to do so.)  Even with plymesh being an extensible format, I don’t know that any tools read NURBs from it.  LuxRender, for example, does not.  The only way to specify NURBs in LuxRender is in-line in the scene file.  And LuxRender internally generates a triangle mesh from the NURB in order to render it.

Subdivision, however, IS natively supported by Studio.  It uses the Catmull Clark algo for it.  Any object can be converted to SubD.  Select the object in the scene tab, click the corner menu and then Edit->Convert to SubD.  Some stuff, such as Genesis, loads with subdivision already enabled.  The one silly thing about SubD in Studio is the levels of subdivision has a default parameter lock of a max of two levels.  Depending on your shape, that may not be enough.  You can unlock the parameter (gear icon) and then specify higher levels.  However, there is currently a bug where the unlocked state is not saved, so when you reload the scene, it goes back to a max of two and will reduce any objects that were higher than two back to two as well.  (Bug entry 49068)

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage
Set Focal Distance script for DAZ Studio

Posted: 08 April 2013 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15695
Joined  2003-10-09
wancow - 07 April 2013 06:40 PM

and yes, they can be reversed… DOH…

Is this even possible in Firefly????

Yes, via Maths nodes.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 09 April 2013 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2003-10-09

When you say that 3DLight is renderman compliant, does that apply in both directions? I.e. is 3DLight compatible with renderman shaders?
Is there a way to import RSL (Renderman Shading Language) shaders?

Signature 

All the goot things in life are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.

Posted: 09 April 2013 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2673
Joined  2011-12-10

There is a way, but I’ve never tried it.  What I’d love is if someone could post a step-by-step on how to actually accomplish it with a simple shader.

Go to where any of your tabs are in D|S, right click, and select RSL editor.

Paste in a Shader, I used this one: http://www.renderman.org/RMR/Shaders/WWShaders/WWCinderBlock.sl

And hit compile.

Save it under DAZ Studio in Program Files, find the Shader Folder.  Omnifreaker’s shader folder will be there.

But that’s as far as I got…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 10 April 2013 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2003-10-09

Cool! That could be very helpful! grin

Another question: I guess 3DLight can calculate IDL. Can it? I cant find much regarding IDL in these forums. Most links result in a 404.

Signature 

All the goot things in life are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.

Posted: 10 April 2013 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2673
Joined  2011-12-10

InDirect Lighting you mean?  Isn’t that a function of GI? (Global Illumination)... If this is the case, you get this using UberEnvironment with the GI shader applied…  Please enlighten me if I’m getting this wrong…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

2 of 2