Digital Art Zone

2 of 8
BRYCE RENDERING CHALLENGE   Inaugural Challenge   NEW BEGINNINGS.
Posted: 04 April 2013 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2011-03-04
chohole - 04 April 2013 03:15 AM

Update on judging this at the end of the Month.

bigh has already volunteered to be a judge, and I now have a 2nd volunteer in Szark.

Or would people prefer it to be judged a different way, like a poll or something.

Whatever is chosen is fine by me.

Posted: 04 April 2013 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4633
Joined  2004-07-01
MrSilus - 04 April 2013 02:53 PM
bigh - 03 April 2013 06:36 PM

Bryce April 1

Simple but nice. That menacing cloud seems to want to disturb an otherwise calm and relaxing setting smile

thank you grin

Posted: 04 April 2013 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1550
Joined  2007-12-10

I’ll chuck my hat in the ring with this WIP.

Image Attachments
EggHatch.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 04 April 2013 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1385
Joined  2011-09-25

@Sean:  Ah, I now see where you’re referring to.  I must be blind in one eye and can’t see out of the other.  See if the image below has better appeal.

@Mr Silus:  Thanks for the comments.  The material, or what I had in mind, is sandstone material, which weathers easily, in an area that filling is with water because of a dam built further upstream.  When these type of projects occur low lying areas are covered first, followed by higher structures.  Hence the foreground and rounder background mountains.  Because how the light and sun position turned out, it’s either early morning or late afternoon, viewer discretion.  See the following image.

@Dave:  Besides the little critter being cute, the rest looks great.  But you’re sort of putting all your eggs in one basket, er, rocks aren’t you?

I initially had a large drop at the front of the foreground mountain.  But as things go, I reduced that drop off, lowered the water slab a bit, raised the foreground mountain a bit, and repositioned the camera.  Again, comments are gladly welcomed.

I’d volunteer as judge, but since I’m easily awed by work I see here I wouldn’t be very objective.  Where are we posting the images we are entering?

Image Attachments
Mountain_Terrain_8.png
 Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 05 April 2013 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15338
Joined  2003-10-09
TheSavage64 - 04 April 2013 04:18 PM

I’ll chuck my hat in the ring with this WIP.

cute, just one little point, you have a couple of stray polys casting shadow on his left eye (right side of image)

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 05 April 2013 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

Thanks Pam.
Still working on it, have reshaped the bit of shell on his head, altered the lighting, introduced IBL and changed the mat on the terrains.
Just trying a version with some greenery on it now… but it’s not working at the moment… may post it later.

GussNemo - 04 April 2013 11:42 PM

@Dave:  Besides the little critter being cute, the rest looks great.  But you’re sort of putting all your eggs in one basket, er, rocks aren’t you?

Maybe, but I’m not counting my chickens… errr, reptiles before they’ve hatched.

Image Attachments
EggHatchALT.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 05 April 2013 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@Dave:  Being able to see both critters eyes makes it all that much cuter.  IMHO, either material on the terrain works well, but adjusting the light in the second one has giveen the foreground more depth and definition.  That image looks a lot better.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.

Posted: 05 April 2013 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

This is how the version with greenery on it turned out. Not sure it needs it, I think I prefer the bare rock one, but it’s more complicated by me altering the camera to a lower angle… I’d need to customise the sky.

Image Attachments
EggHatchGreen.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2013 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@Dave:  The greenery adds significant character to the image.  Both images are great, given the environments they portray.

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2013 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-03-04

Here’s the final render of my first WIP.

Rendered in Bryce 7.1 Pro
64 RPPs, True Ambience (TA Scattering Correction) and Soft Shadows
Took almost 16 hours to render @ 1280x800

Everything was done and set up in Bryce, with the exception of the balloons which are models from archive3d.net with some slight changes.

I call it “Taintless Paradise”

Image Attachments
taintless_paradise.jpg

Posted: 06 April 2013 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-03-04
TheSavage64 - 05 April 2013 07:00 PM

This is how the version with greenery on it turned out. Not sure it needs it, I think I prefer the bare rock one, but it’s more complicated by me altering the camera to a lower angle… I’d need to customise the sky.

Ah cute one! I prefer this one since it almost seems like someone is behind the grass making a video or taking a photo as the creature gets out of the egg. The color and material used for the creature’s skin is the only point I don’t particularly like. I would expect something less uniform and a more darker tone, but this is a WIP after all smile

Posted: 06 April 2013 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-03-04
GussNemo - 04 April 2013 11:42 PM

@Mr Silus:  Thanks for the comments.  The material, or what I had in mind, is sandstone material, which weathers easily, in an area that filling is with water because of a dam built further upstream.  When these type of projects occur low lying areas are covered first, followed by higher structures.  Hence the foreground and rounder background mountains.  Because how the light and sun position turned out, it’s either early morning or late afternoon, viewer discretion.  See the following image.

Looks better. I would adjust the color near the horizon. That blue seems a bit out of place given all the surrounding colors.

Posted: 06 April 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

@Mr Silus:  Final image looks real good, but the beach chairs are missing. grin  Yeah, I noticed the horizon color wasn’t quite right.  What I was trying to do at the horizon was obscured too much.

General question:  For the past couple of days when I’ve tried to submit a post I’ve been getting another window saying Login Requested to Access this page.  It usually takes 2-3 tries before the post is submitted.  What gives?

Signature 

Posted: 06 April 2013 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2536
Joined  2004-07-06

OK I’ll play.

Model from here http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/data/meshes.xml
Lit like this Bryce 7.1 Pro Experiments - Hyper Surface Scattering - by David Brinnen
With Horo’s GarageOpen_3840.hdr that came with this http://www.daz3d.com/practical-bryce-7-1-pro-volume-1
And an impossible one sided box shape made according to the tutorial here Bryce Mentoring DVD  it an inside and no outside!
All viewed through one of the new wide angle lenses from this http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/bryce-7-1-pro-lenses-and-filters - currently on special offer along with other things too!

Image Attachments
Head_grid.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 06 April 2013 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-25

Adjusted haze color and settings, and think I’ll stick a fork in it.

Image Attachments
Mountain_Terrain_9.png
 Signature 

2 of 8