Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Unzipping content to folders OS XP
Posted: 31 March 2013 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  460
Joined  2013-03-28

Hi, I’m having difficulty unzipping genesis content from ShareCG to use in Daz 4.5,.  Instructions state to Extract the files to your “/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library” folder.  Which i do.  Content shows up in content library, but when I drag/drop content to Genesis model, I get missing files message.  Such as this one: /Genesis Mini Flared Skirt/Genesis Mini Flared Skirt/V4 Flared Skirt MiniUV.dsf

I contact the uploader of content, they state, If you unzipped the file automatically to My Library, it is possible for these to end up in the wrong place if the folder structure is incorrect. It is always advisable to unzip the file to a blank folder and then drop the data, People and runtime folders into My Library.

I don’t understand what’s highlighted in red smile

I unzipped the files automatically to my library, believed that’s what instructions state.  I tried to drop folders into necessary content folders in My library, I’ve read forum unzipping content tutorial, but no luck with Windows XP unzip, I cannot merge folders, etc…....  So I cannot use Genesis content.

How do I transfer files from unzip runtime folder to My library runtime folder in XP ??  Can I use DIM to install 3rd party content ??   

Using the software is a breeze, very user friendly, it’s loading content I’m having most difficult with, goodness gracious, Lol !!!     

Assistance greatly appreciated. 

Posted: 31 March 2013 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8697
Joined  2007-11-06

Create a temporary folder—I call mine “Trialcontent”.  Unzip the folder there.  There may be a top-level folder called “Content” or “My Library”, or a folder with the name of the item.  If that’s the case, you only want what’s UNDERNEATH that folder, not the folder itself.  Inside that folder you’ll typically find folders named Data, Runtime, People, etc.  You want to drop THOSE folders into your My Library folder, so that they merge with the same-named folders inside your My Library folder.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 31 March 2013 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5054
Joined  2012-04-07

When people are referring to “merge”, that is a feature of the W7 OS. In XP or any other OS which doesn’t provide a merge option, one can manually add the content into the appropriate folders.

The purpose of unzipping the new file into a blank folder is simply to check “what is in the zip”. Sadly not everybody packages everything correctly.

My Library > Data
My Library > People
My Library > Runtime

It is very important when people are creating files that all their files are in the correct place, in the first place. The files created indicate exactly where they expect to find ‘stuff’ with which to work.
So if the new content was created correctly, and is for the edition of D/S4.x that one has, the new content should work in the program.

DIM is for purchases via the Daz3d store.

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2013 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8697
Joined  2007-11-06

No, XP and earlier Windows versions have Merge also.  It’s MACOSX before 10.7 that don’t have Merge built-in.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 31 March 2013 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-03-28

Thanx friend, I must be doing something wrong, cause countless members, thank’d uploader.  I have no idea, how to manually install, cause I do not know each folders file structure. 

Here’s the question I have, what folder is .dsf file suppose to be in ??   

My Daz library runtime folder has Geometries, libraries, prefs, Python, Support, Textures

Zip folder runtime folder has, Runtime > textures > P Design > jpg images

I cannot merge runtime folders, so how do I manually install content ?? 

Problem is, I and many others don’t know what files are suppose to be in what folders, if uploader misplaced folder/files.  Content is loading, just something is out of place, missing dsf file. 
Thanx

Posted: 31 March 2013 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-03-28

Hello Admin, how do I use merge ??  Never used on XP, thanx smile

Posted: 31 March 2013 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07

Yeah, I don’t recall ever seeing “merge” on XP either! Certainly not the way it is in W7.

edit: Found this:  http://www.ehow.com/how_6835716_merge-windows-xp-like-vista.html

Other instructions I’ve found are doing it using the method I call “manual merge”. Select a bunch of items and move ‘em over.

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2013 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07
awesomefb - 31 March 2013 08:25 PM

Thanx friend, I must be doing something wrong, cause countless members, thank’d uploader.  I have no idea, how to manually install, cause I do not know each folders file structure. 

Here’s the question I have, what folder is .dsf file suppose to be in ??   

My Daz library runtime folder has Geometries, libraries, prefs, Python, Support, Textures

Zip folder runtime folder has, Runtime > textures > P Design > jpg images

I cannot merge runtime folders, so how do I manually install content ?? 

Problem is, I and many others don’t know what files are suppose to be in what folders, if uploader misplaced folder/files.  Content is loading, just something is out of place, missing dsf file. 
Thanx

If that is one of Wilmap’s items, she normally has them already in the correct folders. Just match ‘em up with what you have and/or add them in.

edit: check for an updated folder if it’s ‘missing a .dsf’ file. Sometimes things are missed and the updated files are posted. Sometimes the missing .dsf file is ? ... just say ‘skip’ and if the item loads okay, don’t worry about it.

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2013 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-03-28

Thanx Patience55, yes Wimaps items, problem is all the zips are missing .dsf file.  All the content is loaded into content library, just .dsf file preventing me from using content.  Going to do some brainstorming, figure this out.  Will check for update folder. 

I found the same instructions, but didn’t work, just moved one folder into another.  Nothing on youtube.  Goodness, Lol !!! 

Posted: 31 March 2013 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

Tell me Which set of WilMap’s items you are wanting to install and I will do you a short easy tutorial using that set so you can see how to do it one step at a time.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 31 March 2013 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-03-28

Hi Jaderaril, thanx friend, that’s fantastic !!  Items are Genesis skirts, V4 Skirts, Genesis summer tops, Genesis gathered dress, for starters.  Awaiting your instructions smile

Jaderail - 31 March 2013 09:19 PM

Tell me Which set of WilMap’s items you are wanting to install and I will do you a short easy tutorial using that set so you can see how to do it one step at a time.

Posted: 31 March 2013 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

I need the Name of a FILE from ShareCG. I’ll then be able to do this for you.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 31 March 2013 10:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-03-28

Hi Jade, those are the names of the files.  Don’t know if I have permission to post links.  Many forums do not allow.  Genesis skirts added 11 months ago.  I just did a .dsf search, returned 1,855 Daz files, holy DAZ ! Lol !! 

Format: Daz Studio *.daz *.ds *.dsb
Categories: 3D Models, Fashion, Clothing

Jaderail - 31 March 2013 09:59 PM

I need the Name of a FILE from ShareCG. I’ll then be able to do this for you.

Posted: 31 March 2013 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-04-07

Yes you can post links to free stuff over at sharecg.com wink

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2013 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2013-03-28

http://www.sharecg.com/v/61886/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-Skirts

Patience55 - 31 March 2013 10:13 PM

Posted: 31 March 2013 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
awesomefb - 31 March 2013 10:23 PM

http://www.sharecg.com/v/61886/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-Skirts

Patience55 - 31 March 2013 10:13 PM

Okay got it. It’s 1am my time so I must go to bed soon, but I’ll get the TUT posted as soon as possible in my Morning. About 8 hours from now.

Signature 

1 of 2