Digital Art Zone

2 of 11
spaceship
Posted: 01 April 2013 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2012-10-24

So, yeah.. someone mentioned Lightwave. I googled it and looked at the website. Almost crapped my pants. Is it hard to learn this?

Signature 

http://www.reverbnation.com/laynemoore

Posted: 01 April 2013 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1387
Joined  2011-01-03
laynemoore - 01 April 2013 12:51 PM

So, yeah.. someone mentioned Lightwave. I googled it and looked at the website. Almost crapped my pants. Is it hard to learn this?

I like it every bit as much as I like Carrara. They both have strengths and weaknesses. LW is definitely one of the industry big-boys.

I like Carrara’s shader room, but I’m working at getting better at LW’s. LW definitely has more powerful modeling tools. Don’t discount Carrara though—PhilW’s Advanced Training DVD will drop your jaw with what Carrara’s vertex modeler can do. Carrara is a darn sight cheaper than LW too…

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 01 April 2013 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Laynemoore smile

first, you really don’t need lightwave to make a model spaceship,.,.. or buy any other modeller,.

You have carrara,. and you have a basic ship made from splines,.. (IMO) (it would be better to work in Vertex models) but you can convert from splines to vertex once you’re happy with the shape,

Spline models can be a quick way to model a shape,. but vertex modelling will allow you to define, refine, and sculpt that basic shape, into what you want.

You could also create a space-ship like Garstor has done,. using the vertex modeller.

The basic principles of “Box Modelling are easy to learn,. and there are many box modelling tutorials on-line, (the application used doesn’t matter much) it;s the tools and processes used that are important.

You start with a Box,. or simple shape,. then extrude to create more geometry,.

When you combine that with the “symmetry” option enabled,. then you can select one side of an object, and extrude it out to form a Wing shape, and the symmetry will create the opposite wing as you work.

When you work with Box modelling,. you can switch the “Smooth” option, On and Off, to preview the moldel as a subdivision smoothed object,. then switch back to un-smoothed to continue modelling , or refine the model further.

hope that makes sense smile

Posted: 01 April 2013 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6155
Joined  2007-12-04

Right. And Carrara is one of the easiest for finding all of the tools available. The Big Modeling apps, 3DS Max, Maya, (I’ve never tried LW, Modo, Blender, etc.,) often have far more tools, features and functions, which makes displaying all of this another story. I thought 3DS was pretty easy to use - but then again, I have no clue how much of it I never experienced because I’m not sure I looked in all of the right places. Maya seemed worse in that regard to me - but that’s tough to say, since I only played with that for a very short time.
Nonetheless, the basic techniques of modeling are nearly the same from one app to the next, aside from ease of use and how smooth the controls are, etc.,
I would focus on building your techniques in software you already own before spending a lot of money on a new app.
On the other hand, if modeling is what you are truly interested in, A good modeler may give a boon to your techniques, simply by being easier for you to use. One of my very trusted advisers swears by Blender. 3DS Max, Maya and Lightwave have been used as the example softwares to learn if you’re serious about getting a job in the industry in every 3d modeling and/or animation book I’ve ever looked at. Keeping that in mind, if you’re very serious that you want to get good at modeling - “go for it” could be a beneficial leap of faith. But I think all of them have trial versions you can use to test drive them first.
Blender is free and is making a huge name for itself these days.
Carrara is being very perfect for all of my needs, and I’m currently learning more. But I’m one of Carrara’s biggest fans. Please know that whenever you see me reply to - “Just use Carrara!!!” It’s because I have tried many other apps, and find Carrara to be my home for all of my 3d needs - using D|S and Hexagon, as well as Project Dogwaffle as the most significant additions to my tookit.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 01 April 2013 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
3DAGE - 01 April 2013 01:22 PM

first, you really don’t need lightwave to make a model spaceship…or buy any other modeller.

You have carrara,. and you have a basic ship made from splines,.. (IMO) (it would be better to work in Vertex models) but you can convert from splines to vertex once you’re happy with the shape,

Spline models can be a quick way to model a shape,. but vertex modelling will allow you to define, refine, and sculpt that basic shape, into what you want.

You could also create a space-ship like Garstor has done,. using the vertex modeller.

The basic principles of “Box Modelling are easy to learn,. and there are many box modelling tutorials on-line, (the application used doesn’t matter much) it;s the tools and processes used that are important.

That’s pretty much what I did. It just happened to be LightWave…but Carrara or Hexagon can certainly manage it. I’d pick an app and focus on it. Build your skills there and then branch out elsewhere later.

One other useful hint - it was probably mentioned earlier - is to model half of what you want and then mirror your work to complete it.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 01 April 2013 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-02-01
head wax - 01 April 2013 02:01 AM

Nice work Darkwynde. Great organic feel.

Thank you. The large ship with the vertical wings is over 256,000 polygons. I put in the wrong version smile I was trying to use
Meshlab to lower the count while retaining the shape. They are still very much works in progress. The nightmare will
be mapping them.

Signature 

DaRkWyNdE/Tigrestripe
—————————————————————————————————————————————
There is no reality. Everything is just a render of your imaginiation.

Posted: 01 April 2013 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-01
Garstor - 01 April 2013 12:26 PM

Here’s the rough thing that I threw together between ignoring customers this morning…

@laynemoore: you are welcome to an OBJ of this if you like…or I can import it into Carrara 8 and give you a CAR file.

Good stuff! Nice and neat.

Signature 

DaRkWyNdE/Tigrestripe

Posted: 01 April 2013 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-01
laynemoore - 01 April 2013 08:55 AM

I don’t have or use Hex. I didn’t think it was supported on my mac? I need to brush up on shaping the objects into something I want. At first I thought a cool ship would be a backward looking Millennium Falcon-type design without being too much of a Trek knock-off. I’ve got it in my head.

Won’t the texturing essentially be like coloring the model? How do I get the bumpiness of the outward armor? Are all those things just done with molding various shapes too?

Hi Laynemoore,

Star wars ships have a benefit in being, for the most part, angular. Attached is one idea, althought I’m not quite happy with the front of but it can be tweaked. Next to it was my stab at what you posted. I should have spent more time on it. My kids are nagging at me to get off the computer or I’d put more time into the Falcon type design. This is Hex but Carrara and Hex are cousins and the tools in the model room operate pretty much the same.

Carrara is great for learning 3D modeling concepts. You get good at it, then you can but other software in your tool box.

Image Attachments
yt3000prototype.jpg
 Signature 

DaRkWyNdE/Tigrestripe

Posted: 01 April 2013 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03

I tried putting my model up at ShareCG but it keeps reporting errors (without being generous enough to say exactly what those errors are… mad ).

@laynemoore: I’ll see if I can attach the file in a PM

FYI: I’m not sure LightWave’s subdivisions made a clean transfer into Carrara…I may explore this a bit further tomorrow (between dodging customers and working on my PowerPoint presentation again! tongue rolleye ).

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 01 April 2013 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1373
Joined  2008-01-01

Gastor - I get that strange “error” at ShareCG after uploading - there probably isn’t an error at all.  If you go back, you’ll probably find your model there, all safe and sound, possibly duplicated for every time you uploaded:)

Posted: 02 April 2013 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-05-09

While these are Hexagon modeling tutorials the concepts are there.  Carrara specifics you could ask if you run into a wall.  Not sure if you grabbed Hex when it was free (not sure if it is or isnt right now)

http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagon.php

Signature 

Carrara Cafe

Posted: 02 April 2013 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1373
Joined  2008-01-01

Geekatplay has great project-based, very detailed tuts - wish there was something like this for Carrara!

Last I looked, Hex was $19.99 - great value for a superb modeler:)

Take a look at http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/forum.php - most users are high-end, but it is great for inspiration, backgrounds and many other resources - not to mention the free stuff!

Posted: 02 April 2013 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Roygee - 01 April 2013 08:29 PM

Gastor - I get that strange “error” at ShareCG after uploading - there probably isn’t an error at all.  If you go back, you’ll probably find your model there, all safe and sound, possibly duplicated for every time you uploaded:)

I do not know what was going wrong earlier. Here is the new link on ShareCG:

Spaceship For Laynemoore

Use it as you see fit.

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 02 April 2013 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-24

Wow - that’s amazingly cool. It makes me want to learn more to get better. I was messing around with vertex last night until I became frustrated with ‘undo button’ abuse then turned it off. Baby steps, I suppose.

Hi Laynemoore,

Star wars ships have a benefit in being, for the most part, angular. Attached is one idea, althought I’m not quite happy with the front of but it can be tweaked. Next to it was my stab at what you posted. I should have spent more time on it. My kids are nagging at me to get off the computer or I’d put more time into the Falcon type design. This is Hex but Carrara and Hex are cousins and the tools in the model room operate pretty much the same.

Carrara is great for learning 3D modeling concepts. You get good at it, then you can but other software in your tool box.

Signature 

Posted: 02 April 2013 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-24

Thanks man I will. I just downloaded it. You should make a tutorial on how you made this.

Garstor - 02 April 2013 03:48 AM
Roygee - 01 April 2013 08:29 PM

I do not know what was going wrong earlier. Here is the new link on ShareCG:

Spaceship For Laynemoore

Use it as you see fit.

Signature 

2 of 11