Digital Art Zone

1 of 11
spaceship
Posted: 30 March 2013 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2012-10-24

I’ve made a rough outline of a shape for a space ship. Does anyone feel like helping me fine tune it, smooth it out and add details like windows, landing gear, outer armor, etc? I’m looking for a Star Wars look. I’m just lost. I can email the Carrara file to you. Please let me know.

Signature 

http://www.reverbnation.com/laynemoore

Posted: 31 March 2013 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2011-01-03

That sounds interesting but two different artists working on separate files with separate visions?

I assume you are using Carrara of course. What do you have so far? Is this something quick-and-dirty or is it an epic ultimate-spaceship model?

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 31 March 2013 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4619
Joined  2004-07-01
laynemoore - 30 March 2013 09:22 PM

I’ve made a rough outline of a shape for a space ship. Does anyone feel like helping me fine tune it, smooth it out and add details like windows, landing gear, outer armor, etc? I’m looking for a Star Wars look. I’m just lost. I can email the Carrara file to you. Please let me know.

post render - lets see what you have so far

Posted: 31 March 2013 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5952
Joined  2007-12-04
bigh - 31 March 2013 05:26 AM

post render - lets see what you have so far

Yeah, where’s the picture of it? smirk

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 31 March 2013 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-24

I’ll get on my mac later and try to upload a pic. It’s not good by any means because it’s just some splines I’ve whittled away at and assembled into something that vaguely resembles a ship. I am learning Carrara 8 and it’s a slow process for me.

In terms of vision for the ship, I like the gray battled look of the ships in Star Wars. I want a 3D model I can use in a live action movie. I hope to use this model with Adobe CS6 suite (Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop Extended).

I’m writing a five book series called Space Victories. The movie picks up around book #4 (I think somebody named Lucas set the precedent here). The film is live action, an ambitious project for someone who does this as an enthusiastic hobbiest. Doing this project with my kids allows me to connect with them on many levels - writing the music score, recording, filming/editing, sound / visual effects, set construction - and it’s cool as a dad to see their enthusiasm too.

However, with all this enthusiasm comes the reality that I’m a big dummy when it comes to 3D modeling. I share these things to let you know the background of what I’m trying to do with the model. Trust me, what I’ve done is caveman-esque compared to what I’ve seen on this site. I’ll get a render up soon.

https://www.facebook.com/SpaceVictories

Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2013 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-24

Here’s a render of what I’m working with. I envisioned a cockpit window in the front and small view windows on the driver and passenger side of the cockpit area. I’d like to be able to animate landing gear - maybe Elements 3D from video copilot would enable that?

Image Attachments
top.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 31 March 2013 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-02-01
laynemoore - 31 March 2013 05:42 PM

Here’s a render of what I’m working with. I envisioned a cockpit window in the front and small view windows on the driver and passenger side of the cockpit area. I’d like to be able to animate landing gear - maybe Elements 3D from video copilot would enable that?

Greetings, Laynemoore,

Keep scale in mind if your going to put your models in live action footage. I’m by no means an expert with 3D. After a few years I’m pretty much a novice (hardly no time available.) Attached are some stuff I do occasionally.

All of these are started from a cube primitive and then extruded/push pull modeling etc. Some are sub divided and one ship shows no sub-d and sub-d. None are to true scale and in one shot the station is supposed to be 30 miles across.

I do it this way to block the shapes out and then refine and/or cut the model apart. Also, these are large starships so scale for a much smaller vessel would probably be easier. If you don’t want to smooth much, to keep your poly count down for animation, you can block out and add edge loops to round off or control the shape.

Ah, yeah. I did all of these in Hexagon as I prefer it to Carrara’s model room.

Image Attachments
starship_group_shot_01.jpgstarship_group_shot_02.jpg
 Signature 

DaRkWyNdE/Tigrestripe
—————————————————————————————————————————————
There is no reality. Everything is just a render of your imaginiation.

Posted: 01 April 2013 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1946
Joined  2008-01-28

Nice work Darkwynde. Great organic feel.

@ laynemoore

how Star wars do you want?
There’s a stack of blueprints on the net.
I’b inclined to have a look at them and picl an easy one, then just modify it a little.

The x-wing is basically box modelling, and is good practice if you are learning.
You just make the engine stuff out of cylinders, t he wings are modified boxes as is the cockpit.

find blue prints here : http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/sciencefiction/star-wars-rebel/2745/view/

resulting model here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcnUcuHGN0M

other blueprints here :

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=x+wing+blueprints&hl=en&biw=1680&bih=902&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=ojtZUc-eMJGViAftmIGICg&ved=0CDMQsAQ

cheers

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 01 April 2013 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2010-09-22

I was gunna say but some stole my thunder. Best thing you can do for a killer craft is build it in HEXAGON then send it to Carrara..

ALSO dont forget you can keep the object pretty damn simple geometrically, and really put in a lot of details with texture maps and the bump and displace channels….

DOnt forget to DIRTY it up

Posted: 01 April 2013 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03

I’d have to concur with Darkwynde—you’ll want to explore sub-divided modeling. I was doing essentially the same thing as you were; just using the primitives and I was always unhappy with the results (none of it saw the light of day).

Get some reference shots of something you like and start duplicating it…but add your own little flairs to it. The real details can come out with texture maps, so don’t go too crazy on your polygon count.

You’re kinda making me want to get back to trying some spaceship modeling again…

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 01 April 2013 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5952
Joined  2007-12-04

You should be able to model your ships within Carrara. If you have Hex, already… go ahead and see if you like it better. But Carrara is perfectly capable.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 01 April 2013 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-24

I don’t have or use Hex. I didn’t think it was supported on my mac? I need to brush up on shaping the objects into something I want. At first I thought a cool ship would be a backward looking Millennium Falcon-type design without being too much of a Trek knock-off. I’ve got it in my head.

Won’t the texturing essentially be like coloring the model? How do I get the bumpiness of the outward armor? Are all those things just done with molding various shapes too?

Signature 

Posted: 01 April 2013 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
laynemoore - 01 April 2013 08:55 AM

I don’t have or use Hex. I didn’t think it was supported on my mac? I need to brush up on shaping the objects into something I want. At first I thought a cool ship would be a backward looking Millennium Falcon-type design without being too much of a Trek knock-off. I’ve got it in my head.

Won’t the texturing essentially be like coloring the model? How do I get the bumpiness of the outward armor? Are all those things just done with molding various shapes too?

Is Hex still free? If not, it should be fairly reasonably priced if I recall. Of course, you don’t want to buy it if it won’t run on your machine!

I started to play with subdivision modeling in Carrara again this morning…but I confess that I am rapidly getting accustomed to LightWave…so I started whipping something together there. It is obviously inspired by the F-29 forward-swept wing design. It is very hard to build a new spaceship design without “ripping off” some other look (X-wing, Millenium Falcon, Enterprise, Battlestar, etc.).

You can get the bumpiness via shaders. Model the important details and then get minor details with the shaders.

I’ll post my quick model later tonight ... for now, it’s back to work.

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 01 April 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03

Here’s the rough thing that I threw together between ignoring customers this morning…

@laynemoore: you are welcome to an OBJ of this if you like…or I can import it into Carrara 8 and give you a CAR file.

Image Attachments
layne.png
 Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 01 April 2013 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-10-24

@Garstor - that’s amazing! There are small fighters in the movie that are all of the same build (the bad guys). This would be perfect. I would give you full credit of course. It would give me a chance to work on texturing and shaders. I envy your talent.

Where do I go to get the .car or .obj file? My email is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) .

Signature 

Posted: 01 April 2013 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
laynemoore - 01 April 2013 12:31 PM

@Garstor - that’s amazing! There are small fighters in the movie that are all of the same build (the bad guys). This would be perfect. I would give you full credit of course. It would give me a chance to work on texturing and shaders. I envy your talent.

Where do I go to get the .car or .obj file? My email is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) .

Thanks—but trust me, there are far better modelers out there! I’ll PM you when I have it shared—for now I have to get back to building my PowerPoint presentation (much less fun than modeling).

Signature 

- Garstor

1 of 11