Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Octane Render plugin for DAZ Studio by Otoy
Posted: 27 March 2013 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2011-03-26

I subscribed to a Forum thread over at Otoy and was happy to find out this morning that:

OctaneRender™ for DAZ Studio v1.10 released

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29824

- - -

This seems to be the official promotion video:

OctaneRender for DAZ Studio Workflow demo

http://vimeo.com/60253899

- - -

I was looking forward to Octane Render for quite a while especially because it seems at the end of 2013 it will be possible to easily buy also network rendering options.

This information was released at the GTC 2013 in combination with Nvidia:

GTC 2013: OTOY’s OctaneRender

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRdSxZtUpFk&feature=share

The service will be first live in the US for testing in fall. By the end of 2013 other regions like Europe and Asia are planned to have access.
Speculation based on information released on the internet / the Otoy forums:
So if you just need a render farm for your next project it is rumored to only cost 1$ per GPU per hour.

- - -

Where can one buy the plugin?

It seems officially the plugin can be bought here:

http://render.otoy.com/shop/DAZ_Studio_plugin.php

OctaneRender™ for DAZ Studio beta + Standalone Combo v1.0 License (279 €)

If you allready have an Octane Render license you will only need

OctaneRender™ for DAZ Studio v1.0 beta License (99 €)

- - -

Signature 

DAZ User Gallery / Facebook / Deviant Art

Posted: 27 March 2013 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2006-09-02

WOW!! Very good news that finally the DAZ Studio plugin is already available and released

Now I will have to test it and see how it works

Although as this is a GPU based render engine, first I MUST buy a new graphics card, as the one I have now is a very old Nvidia 9600 GT 1GB and surely this is not at all good for Octane cheese ,

I am considering to buy perhaps a Nvidia GTX 660 Ti 2GB or 3GB RAM , and I am not still sure to buy a 2GB or 3GB RAM because I do not know if it worth to pay around $120 more for having 1 GB extra.

But perhaps for Octane Render that only uses the GPU RAM could be useful and worth, but I still do not know. rolleyes

linvanchene wrote:

Will the plugin and / or the license for the standalone also be available in the DAZ store?

YES! This could be a good idea to have also in the DAZ 3D Store and so have more options to have external renders for DAZ Studio and for using DAZ Products

Posted: 27 March 2013 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  359
Joined  2004-04-07

Just judging by the video, Thats a very nice bit of integration.

I noted some of the performance figures for that pool room scene:
the untextured scene starts at 40 MS/s (Million Samples per second)
zooming in to some detail and moving the camera around with the chrome and shiny textures applied it averaged 11-12 MS/s
when he zoomed out to show the whole box it temporarily shot up to 135 MS/s

Am I reading that correctly, the whole scene was only 128MB?

Signature 

regards
prixat

Posted: 27 March 2013 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-03-26
SpaceRay - 27 March 2013 02:43 AM

I am considering to buy perhaps a Nvidia GTX 660 Ti 2GB or 3GB RAM , and I am not still sure to buy a 2GB or 3GB RAM because I do not know if it worth to pay around $120 more for having 1 GB extra.

But perhaps for Octane Render that only uses the GPU RAM could be useful and worth, but I still do not know. rolleyes

As far as I could gather from the Otoy forum and site it is recommended to use as much GPU RAM as you can.
Another thing to watch out for though is that you have enough power supply for the card.

I actually am using a Nvidia GTX 660 Ti 2GB.
I would have had to update the power supply of my workstation for a more powerfull card.

If you can you may want to upgrade to a system with more than one video card.
This also has the benefit that you can choose to let one render in the background while the other is used for interacting with other GPU based applicatons that run on your system.

- - -

I could not wait and did a first few tests late in the night:

I absolutely love the “Default Daylight Environment”.

Check out an official video here:

OctaneRender for DAZ Studio Sunlight (new model) & Google Maps

http://vimeo.com/55246483#at=0

It is so awesome and fun to select any location on the world and see the changes of the light in realtime on the screen.

- - -

What amazed me most though is how even with the default settings characters and materials look truely amazing.

I did a stress test with a fiber hair character I used for an image earlier this year.

Total Vertices :
Total Triangles :
Total Quads :
Total Faces :

The scene rendered in about 19 minutes with a Nvidia GTX 660 Ti at a resolution of 1336x631.

Link to test render:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151576064703899&set=a.10151422686548899.539733.169292668898&type=3&theater;

To compare: The 3delight version of the original image took more than 24hours to render.

- - -

At the moment I am very happy to finally have a rendering solution with a reasonable speed / quality realtionship.

Can´t wait to keep trying out more things.

Signature 

Posted: 28 March 2013 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  322
Joined  2005-10-02
linvanchene - 27 March 2013 12:43 AM

- - -

Where can one buy the plugin?

It seems officially the plugin can be bought here:

http://render.otoy.com/shop/DAZ_Studio_plugin.php

OctaneRender™ for DAZ Studio beta + Standalone Combo v1.0 License (279 €)

If you allready have an Octane Render license you will only need

OctaneRender™ for DAZ Studio v1.0 beta License (99 €)

- - -

I would love to buy this but the price is far too high for my pocket - especially as I’ve just blown my savings on a new iMac 27”. I’m not even sure that the GPU in the new iMac would be strong enough for this product (NVidia GTX 680MX with 2GB). Seems to me that most people who can afford Octane have PC rigs that would match Pixar’s. wink

Posted: 28 March 2013 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7860
Joined  2009-05-14

I found the whole thing mind blowin. Yeah nice price tag but I would so like to play with that..Otoy, Oboy. smile

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 28 March 2013 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  0

I really like the plugin and the render speed even with my card is nice. But unfortunately I only have 1Gig of video ram which is very limiting for some content. I have to figure a better way of working. I was thinking about texture atlas but have not not really sure how to used it. So I will see.

Over all… Great plugin. Next year sometime, I will just have to upgrade to the 660 3gig or the 670 4gig. I hope the prices will come down by then.

Posted: 28 March 2013 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-03-26
marble - 28 March 2013 03:00 AM

I would love to buy this but the price is far too high for my pocket - especially as I’ve just blown my savings on a new iMac 27”. I’m not even sure that the GPU in the new iMac would be strong enough for this product (NVidia GTX 680MX with 2GB).

At the moment the plugin works for pc only anyway.

On the forums I read that the plugin creators will probably contact DAZ and ask for the numbers how many DAZ users are working on mac.
They also say that a conversion will probably take more than just a few weeks.

If you are a mac user you may want to add your voice in this thread or read up there what the status of the mac version may be:

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29824&start=10

Signature 

Posted: 28 March 2013 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-03-26

Edited double post to pick up on another idea. tongue wink

marble - 28 March 2013 03:00 AM

Seems to me that most people who can afford Octane have PC rigs that would match Pixar’s. wink

I do not know what kind of setup Pixar has. wink

But lets just say that probably all people who are also using their pc to play games may allready have a setup that is a good start.

It would be very interesting to hear from people that are using older video cards what their experiences are.

My personal guess is that even with the early nvidia cards that feature cuda cores you will have faster render times than with any CPU based technology.

What is very important to know is that you absolutely do not have to spend several thousand dollars for the advertised quadro cards.

The geforce series will do just fine for most occasions.

Signature 

Posted: 28 March 2013 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Yep, 9800gtx with .5g ram… + almost 400 for plugin/renderer, but so nice looking…

one day smile

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 28 March 2013 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1100
Joined  2003-12-16

slightly OT but if you can’t wait for a Mac Octane development process Windows 7 in native mode would run insanely well on that mac but you need a licensed copy of Windows 7, you can’t install or use XP or VISTA on OS 10.7 and up unless it’s a legacy OS install from 10.5 or 10.6 and you can’t downgrade a new mac to a lower OS, it’s coded into the API to prevent this.

Octane is an amazing product but that price point is going to drive away a lot of potential users.

Signature 

Gravy to potatoes, Luke to Darth Vader, I’m a souped up sucker and I’ll see you all later

Posted: 28 March 2013 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2839
Joined  2004-04-14
StratDragon - 28 March 2013 09:26 AM

Octane is an amazing product but that price point is going to drive away a lot of potential users.

i wonder if its really intended as a hobbiest tool or a pro tool.

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 28 March 2013 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-12-25
Mattymanx - 28 March 2013 11:25 AM

i wonder if its really intended as a hobbiest tool or a pro tool.

from my point of view it’s intendend as a perfect companion for daz studio smile
at least i tried my best to integrate Octane like it was a natural part of DS.

in terms of render quality, features and speed, and probably also complexity (if you really dig into it), Octane is clearly a tool aiming for pro’s, matching with engines like Arion, Maxwell, vray and others - some close already, others not so close, but it is steadily and lately also very fast improving. btw, if you compare Octane with these price tags, you’ll find it pretty low priced. on the other hand, i doubt you will ever see integrated DS plugins from the named firms, so these hefty price tags will never be a problem wink

bottom line: if you want to improve your renderings, and have some time to spend, Luxrender based studio extensions will be a nice way; if you you have a little extra money to spend, and like to have even more fun with renders that complete in minutes instead hours, the octane plugin might be your choice. the interactive workflow because of the render speed is imo another bonus worth to mention.

of course i’m a little biased smile

anyway. as soon as the early adopters have unleashed all the bugs (and they are fixed of course), there will be a demo version, free for everyone, to find out what he or she can get from the plugin. the demo will have all and every feature of the payed version, except it will render to a fixed size (with a decent watermark on the images), and won’t save the data to the .duf

ps: i’m currently already maxed out keeping the pace in the otoy forum, after the release, so i just can’t regularly visit the daz forums also (yet). but if anyone has a burning question to ask, just send me a pm from here and i will answer it as soon as possible…

Posted: 29 March 2013 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7860
Joined  2009-05-14

Thanks T_3 if I have any questions then I will ask over on the Octane forums, makes life a little easier for both sides. From a hobbiest POV and with how certain software prices itself in the market these days I don’t mind the price tag so much. No I can’t afford it YET but I will eventually.

I am playing with Lux at the moment and yes it does a nice job…but I don’t want nice I want complete control and from what I have seen this plug-in gives us complete and utter control and instant feedback. I have been waiting form something like this since seeing Fprime of Lightwave some years ago but this is so much better.

And there I was thinking ahead to Lux and buying a new rig to suit, time to change tack.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 29 March 2013 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16
t__3 - 28 March 2013 08:23 PM

anyway. as soon as the early adopters have unleashed all the bugs (and they are fixed of course), there will be a demo version, free for everyone, to find out what he or she can get from the plugin. the demo will have all and every feature of the payed version, except it will render to a fixed size (with a decent watermark on the images), and won’t save the data to the .duf.

This would be very nice and would go a long way towards getting many to scrounge the money to get it eventually I would think. What are the limitations of the demo version of the engine itself?

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 29 March 2013 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-03-26

Its now about two days that I was able to make my first experiences with the Octane Render plugin for DAZ Studio.

The help over at the Otoy forum was awesome.
All questions were answered quickly and I guess I figured out the basics of how to use the plugin by now.

The next step will be to dive into the specifics of the material settings in Octane Render.
From a first look it seems quite similar to any node based editors like the DAZ studio shader mixer or the E-on Vue material system.

- - -

I worked some more on my first test image and did a second version at a higher resolution and made a first try with Octane Render Materials.

In the plugin is a live material database included.
If you want you can let it check for updates automatically and download new materials from the server.

I wanted to apply a metal like material and all I had to do was enter metal in the search field of the plugin and I quickly found some options I like.

- - -

This is the second version of my Octane Render test image at a resolution of 1920x1080.
This version at a resolution of 1920x1080 rendered in about 50 minutes with a Nvidia GTX 660 Ti.

Link to image on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151578601593899&set=a.10151422686548899.539733.169292668898&type=1&theater;

Again take into account that this is zbrush fiber hair.
Scenes with transmaped hair rendered sometimes in about 1-2 minutes at the default settings. 7-9 minutes at a resolution of 2000x3000.

In short its really very fast with a lot of different quality settings that you can customize to your needs.

I would love to see some images what people can do that allready have experience with the Octane Render standalone.
I am just starting to figure this all out.

Image Attachments
linvanoak_Vanilla_Octane_Render_v1004_1920x1080.jpg
 Signature 

1 of 3