Digital Art Zone

25 of 100
Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4
Posted: 22 April 2013 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 361 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  619
Joined  2010-02-18

Playing around with the ever-wonderful Mandelbulb 3D (latest version, as of writing, is v1.8.7 beta-4 test.zip) freeware - used for producing ‘fractal-like’ images. It’s capable of producing weird fractal obj’s, too (this link is a YouTube video by Don Whitaker describing the steps for producing obj’s).

The first image (obj included) below is Bryce-rendered (note, I intentionally stopped this 6-hour render half-way through as I felt the noise added to the ambience of the scene).

Fractals, on their very own, can be generated directly also (the second image below is non-Bryce aware), using the above version. However, for creating the obj’s, two other freewares’ - Fiji ImageJ and Meshlab - are required (see, again, Don Whitaker’s second video) on the whole introduction to Mandelbulb 3D.

Experimentation, of course, is always required with new ‘wares, so time well spent is rewarded.

Mandelbulb 3D, I’ll presume, would be very useful for those wanting to produce alien-like landscapes – both within Bryce, and without.

Title of first image: “Fractalyce”; second image: “Spikeworld”.

Jay

Image Attachments
Fractalyce.jpghall2.jpg

Posted: 23 April 2013 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 362 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2536
Joined  2004-07-06

Wonderful images Jay!

Given a few spare moments - it’s been a long day already - I’ve been playing with http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-lenses-and-filters the EWL and mirrors and a little stepped model I made in Wings3D.

Image Attachments
Ewl_step1.jpgEwl_step2.jpgEwl_step3.jpgEwl_step4.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 23 April 2013 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 363 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3376
Joined  2004-10-01

@Jamahoney - very nice. The first one looks like a beast, the second one like a building.

@David - great renders, I like the second best.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 23 April 2013 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 364 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2813
Joined  2004-10-25
Horo - 23 April 2013 10:39 AM

@David - great renders, I like the second best.

Agreed.  It reminds me of a fractal, and I looooove fractals!

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 23 April 2013 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 365 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-18

Cheers, David (love the third one down - very ‘fratalicious’) and Horo.

Jay

Posted: 24 April 2013 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 366 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1382
Joined  2011-09-25

@David:  Real nice cube.  Not enough time to run through the tutorials now.  Love all four of the mirrored images.  The first and last remind me of looking straight up at the rotunda and seeing a very elaborate lighting fixture.  The light at the four corners windows in the rotunda.

@Jay:  Really nice images, they have a good alien look to them.  The first one looks as though an alien ship is about to plow through, or into, something.  And as Horo said, the second a building.  One of several if the images at the right are taken into account.

Some pages back I showed an image that’d been sitting on the WIP shelf for some time.  I pulled it out, and since I’d learned a few things since that time, added the water and the foreground boulders.  It was better than it had been but the foreground boulders bothered me, so I pulled it out again and tweaked the foreground boulders.  I also tweaked the haze and depth of field.  Let me know what you think.

Image Attachments
Banded_Mountain1_16_Sig.png
 Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 24 April 2013 01:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 367 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
GussNemo - 24 April 2013 01:23 AM

@David:  Real nice cube.  Not enough time to run through the tutorials now.  Love all four of the mirrored images.  The first and last remind me of looking straight up at the rotunda and seeing a very elaborate lighting fixture.  The light at the four corners windows in the rotunda.

@Jay:  Really nice images, they have a good alien look to them.  The first one looks as though an alien ship is about to plow through, or into, something.  And as Horo said, the second a building.  One of several if the images at the right are taken into account.

Some pages back I showed an image that’d been sitting on the WIP shelf for some time.  I pulled it out, and since I’d learned a few things since that time, added the water and the foreground boulders.  It was better than it had been but the foreground boulders bothered me, so I pulled it out again and tweaked the foreground boulders.  I also tweaked the haze and depth of field.  Let me know what you think.

Although the DOF effect reduces the scale of your scene to a model, I like the effect of it here.  To capitalise on this you could introduce a model of a toy - like a Lego character or something like that.  The form of the terrain is good, the material looks good at this distance, the sky is letting you down here.  It looks too generic…  Which has given me an idea - I will have to test.

But yes, definitely coming along Jamie, looking good.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 24 April 2013 03:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 368 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2011-05-02

@ Jamahoney.

Thanks for all the links, it seems every time I turn around there is something new to take up my time, hard to focus with distractions like those, will try to use the methods to create some kind of organic plant life.

Posted: 24 April 2013 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 369 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-18

Cheers, Guss....and Tapioca

On your own work, Guss...I like the colour overall, and the sky suits my eye anyway - I like the contrast of the blue versus the red/orange.

As to DOF, have to admit never using it as I hate loosing detail. However, if I ever should use it in the future, it would be as background DOF rather than foreground DOF. I suspect there’s an art to it - as I’ve seen many-a-photograph ruined by its over-abuse. But, as said, I’m detail-biased, and bias is overly-abused, too…hahaa smile

Jay

Posted: 24 April 2013 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 370 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
GussNemo - 24 April 2013 01:23 AM

OK Jamie, I made this one with your image in mind.  I don’t necessarily commend this method to you directly (that is your choice), but hopefully you will see the benefit of ditching the Bryce default sky for something less generic.

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - Using the texture capture cubic setup with SC - by David Brinnen

First image is scene with default sky, second is the replacement, just the sky setting and light has been changed, nothing else.

Image Attachments
starting_point1.jpgstarting_point2.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 371 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

To add to this - the default Bryce sky is too pinkish. A sky is mostly grey with a bit of blue in it. I have some sky colours (and vegetation colours) that can be picked. Got to Raytracing > Resources. The pictures can be downloaded.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 24 April 2013 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 372 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2010-01-30

Thought I’d try David’s Crepuscular Rays tutorial and here’s the result - I used two renders as suggested - the Rays via the volumetric fog ball, then another render with better lighting on the Mech. (Objects whipped from MechaniXTC pack at Renderosity). Layered with screening in Photoshop. Made me very happy to learn how to do this - Thanks.

Image Attachments
MechaniX3_objects-Rays1b-finSml.jpg

Posted: 25 April 2013 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 373 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1382
Joined  2011-09-25

@David:  Thanks for the kind words.  After seeing the difference between those two mountains I will watch the video when I’ve more time.  And I agree about the sky, or any sky I’ve used.  I had wondered about the brightness of the center cloud mass since the sun/light is off to the right.  Eh, nothing is set in stone.

@Jay:  DOF was something that I thought during one render, just after I planted those four rocks a bit deeper.  I’m not totally sold on it but it could be said an amateur photographer has a lot to learn about framing the scene.  I may take out the DOF on the next one.

@Horo:  Thanks for the info.  I forgot just how much you have for free download.

@keryna:  I like your results.  The light rays look great.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 25 April 2013 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 374 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

@keryna - that looks excellent!

Signature 

Posted: 25 April 2013 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 375 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  635
Joined  2008-11-26

There is always something new to learn every day.

Thanks Jay for the Fractals - links, your renders are awesome.

David - thanks for all the videos and sharing your experience with us.

Guss - lovely abstracts

Keryna - Excellent use of David’s tutorial.

25 of 100