Digital Art Zone

3 of 100
Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4
Posted: 26 March 2013 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-10-27

OK, time to help break in this new thread!!  :D

Here are an old one first, an entry for the TrekBBS Art forum’s monthly contest from
way back in 2005… the theme was “Down and Dirty” and this was a battered freighter,
made entirely in Bryce—my first halfway-successful texturing effort.

BTW, if you like Trek art you should check out the TrekBBS Art Forum at http://www.trekbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
... some unbelievable modelling talent on display there.

Then two cube-based abstracts instead of the sphere-based ones we usually use…
these are part of a series I call “Urbanity” because they remind me of stylized cityscapes.

And then two more with Aikobots…

I’m trying to use David’s crepuscular light effect [nice tut!] on a city, rendering as we
speak though it’s straining my old machine.  It’ll be a while yet on that lol…

...and reading your posts makes me realize how much I still have to learn about this
program… I’m looking forward to it!

Image Attachments
TrekBBS_November_contest_entry_by_TLBKlaus.jpgurbanity_by_tlbklaus-d4dzbf4.jpgurbanity_5_by_tlbklaus-d5kb1aa.jpghypersleep_by_tlbklaus-d5ts36i.jpgnightside_by_tlbklaus-d5njeow.jpg
 Signature 

“Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what’s right.”
—Isaac Asimov

You can see more of my stuff at http://tlbklaus.deviantart.com

Posted: 26 March 2013 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3766
Joined  2004-10-01

@TLBKlaus - cool renders. The last one is my favorite of the five.

I debut with another experiment with the magic mirror. The Amadollo is from the Stanford 3D Scanning Repository: http://graphics.stanford.edu/data/3Dscanrep/  The .HDRI is the only real light source which lights the Amadillo from the back with a white/blueish light. The sun is reflected in the mirror, which has an orange filter attached in front of it, and lights the front of the Amadillo. The mirror was tilted to have the sun shine a bit from below up. It is just left out of the camera view. Renders in 20 minutes.

Image Attachments
MMOAmadillo.jpg
 Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 26 March 2013 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2677
Joined  2004-07-06
Horo - 26 March 2013 02:43 PM

I debut with another experiment with the magic mirror. The Amadollo is from the Stanford 3D Scanning Repository: http://graphics.stanford.edu/data/3Dscanrep/  The .HDRI is the only real light source which lights the Amadillo from the back with a white/blueish light. The sun is reflected in the mirror, which has an orange filter attached in front of it, and lights the front of the Amadillo. The mirror was tilted to have the sun shine a bit from below up. It is just left out of the camera view. Renders in 20 minutes.

Good render time for TA and I admit to being intrigued by the magic mirror.  I’ve not done many experiments with mirrors in Bryce - other than to determine fairly early on that they don’t work as expected with the light.  But with TA you’ve found a way to make them work.  Which is interesting indeed.  In my attempts at caustic reflections, over powered light sources were needed to create the effect, so I’m doubly interested if this method you are testing can be adapted to give better caustic response…

Great renders TLBKlaus, just wish they were in a gallery and not destined to sink deep into the morass of forum threads.

Here I’ve tried to simulate light gathering plastic.  Bryce on the left, Octane on the right.  Model made in Wings3D.

After that, a lattice made in Bryce and exported to Octane for final rendering.

Image Attachments
Bryce_v_octane18.jpgWaxy1.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 26 March 2013 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1718
Joined  2011-09-25

@Mr Silus:  While I like the overall composition, are you planning to increase the lighting over the foreground hand and the poker chips?  Nice looking so far.

@TLBKlaus:  Nice work.

@Dave:  Why did the second image take longer to render?

@David:  I personally like the Bryce rendered head.  The skin coloring gives me the impression the guy just has his eyes closed.  The skin coloring in the right image gives me the impression his eyes are closed because he’s lying on a slab in the morgue.  Like the look of the two green cubes, the right one having more of a plastic look.  And how did you create the crawling crud in the last image?  I can’t figure out if it’s grown or grew on something? wink

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 27 March 2013 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4894
Joined  2004-07-01

3 2713 B

Image Attachments
3_2713_B.jpg

Posted: 27 March 2013 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

Looks more like 3 2712 C to me.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 27 March 2013 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
GussNemo - 26 March 2013 11:25 PM

@David:  I personally like the Bryce rendered head.  The skin coloring gives me the impression the guy just has his eyes closed.  The skin coloring in the right image gives me the impression his eyes are closed because he’s lying on a slab in the morgue.  Like the look of the two green cubes, the right one having more of a plastic look.  And how did you create the crawling crud in the last image?  I can’t figure out if it’s grown or grew on something? wink

Yeah the “mortuary slab” effect is always a risk when doing figures.  It shows that the simulation is getting very close to realistic.  You know, “the uncanny valley”?

The crawling crud - nicely put - was just drawn with a small brush in the Terrain Editor.  Just a doodle.  If Bryce worked better with graphics tablets I’d probably doodle more.  But it’s a bit of a handful and there’s not really desk space for even a small one.  I need to tidy my office desk… but since I’ve know that for the last five years potentially - it probably won’t happen soon.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 27 March 2013 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

@David - both green plastics look good to me. The octane one is mostly more transparent. The lattice looks quite organic. Very nice.

Signature 

Posted: 27 March 2013 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2011-03-04

@David Thanks. I’ve never had that hand in any poker game I’ve played, but I don’t play that often either. And I bet the face on Mr 4 aces was priceless indeed smile

Nice experiments with skin. It’s something I’ve never attempted with Bryce. First because I didn’t know how and second because my favorite types of images are landscapes and still life and I usually don’t include characters in those.

As for the plastic renders, Octane one is perfect but in this particular case the Bryce one is also very good. The lattice one looks very organic as Horo already mentioned.

@Horo Thanks. It’s work in progress and I’ll get back to it when I have time! But what did you mean by “gals” ?

Those mirror experiments are interesting. I’ve used mirror materials., but never with the intention of spreading light

@Dave Cool experiments!

@GussNemo Thanks and yes, some things will have to change in that WIP, the exception being the composition.

@TLBKlaus Very nice! I especially like the third one. It’s very cool.

@bigh is the character tap dancing ?

Posted: 27 March 2013 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1749
Joined  2007-12-10
GussNemo - 26 March 2013 11:25 PM

@Dave:  Why did the second image take longer to render?

That’s the cost of using transparency.
The material of the knot was set to about 30 transparent and the transparency was made red.
This plus it’s rendered with TA and uses IBL drastically increase render times.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 27 March 2013 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16733
Joined  2003-10-09
David Brinnen - 27 March 2013 02:15 AM

I need to tidy my office desk… but since I’ve know that for the last five years potentially - it probably won’t happen soon.

Image Attachments
Cluttered_DeskSignOf_GeniusO.jpg
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        November Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 27 March 2013 06:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2006-10-27

Here’s the result of my work with @David’s crepuscular light tut… I ended up having better results just
rendering it as one pic rather than combining two layers as you did.

Image Attachments
creptest1dev.jpg
 Signature 

“Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what’s right.”
—Isaac Asimov

You can see more of my stuff at http://tlbklaus.deviantart.com

Posted: 27 March 2013 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1749
Joined  2007-12-10

Totally unrelated to anything going on at the moment, it’s good to just kick stuff together sometimes.
In this one I was particularly pleased with how the jet flame came out.

Image Attachments
RocketJet.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 27 March 2013 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4894
Joined  2004-07-01
David Brinnen - 26 March 2013 03:39 PM

Good render time for TA and I admit to being intrigued by the magic mirror.  I’ve not done many experiments with mirrors in Bryce - other than to determine fairly early on that they don’t work as expected with the light.  But with TA you’ve found a way to make them work.  Which is interesting indeed.  In my attempts at caustic reflections, over powered light sources were needed to create the effect, so I’m doubly interested if this method you are testing can be adapted to give better caustic response…

Great renders TLBKlaus, just wish they were in a gallery and not destined to sink deep into the morass of forum threads.

Here I’ve tried to simulate light gathering plastic.  Bryce on the left, Octane on the right.  Model made in Wings3D.

just for you Dude -

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29824

Posted: 27 March 2013 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
bigh - 27 March 2013 07:25 AM
David Brinnen - 26 March 2013 03:39 PM

just for you Dude -

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29824

Except I don’t know how to use DAZ Studio…

Here, Bryce terrain exported from Bryce, Stanford Bunny, exported from Bryce, Horo’s HDRI converted to spherical map in Bryce and exported.  Text from Wings3D.  Rendered in Octane in 15 minutes.  Seasonal - if not topical.

Edit.  Bryce version is still in the pipeline…

Image Attachments
Easter_Bunny1.jpg
 Signature 

3 of 100