Digital Art Zone

2 of 100
Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4
Posted: 26 March 2013 12:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1493
Joined  2011-09-25

@mermaid:  Your last image in part 3 looks fantastic.  Love the look of the wings objects.

@Horo:  Thanks.

@Dave:  Both of the stage images look great, though I do prefer the first.  I think the colors of her outfit contrast better with the color of the curtain in the first image, making her stand out better.  In the second image she seems to meld with the curtain.  Still, real nice images.  And speaking of real nice images, that closeup is stunning.  If it weren’t for David, I’d not know how to produce those type cubes.  I still feel more like the smart monkey than the guy holding the hammer and chisel.  And for your first Wings object, nice looking pitcher.

@Pam:  Really like that image.  And as to the lightning, from the various strikes I’ve seen over the years, nothing wrong with what you’ve created in that image.  I’ve even been too close to that one bolt in the foreground.

@dwsel:  Losing the shadow in the third image does change the look.  Still, it is rather pleasing in it’s own way.  I did experiment with lower reflection and saw it darkened the entire image, especially the infinite plane.  But it was just a whim to see what resulted.

@David:  Thanks.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 26 March 2013 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2599
Joined  2004-07-06
TheSavage64 - 25 March 2013 06:38 PM

I figured while I had a correctly Brycified V4 in Bryce, I’d make use of her.

Hmn… moody… great composition, but without SSS the only thing I’ve found so far that helps with skin issues is to provide very uniform bright white light from all around using TA - this seems to trick our eyes into not looking for SSS and then you are left concerning yourself with properties that Bryce can perform - so you can include then a specular gloss from a specular light (doesn’t have to cast shadows - needs to be very subtle).  Anyway, that’s just what my fumbling experiments have shown so far.

Dave, I’m going with your tip for UV mapping first - Wings3D - because it’s the devil I know - and it is free.  If I can’t work that, I’ll try Dwsel’s also for reasons of freeness.  And failing that, the final offering, which will leave me poorer than a European depositor is going to be after the banks skim their accounts down to the last grote.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 26 March 2013 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  71
Joined  2011-03-04

Oh new thread smile

So, this is a WIP, since I’m not entirely pleased with the final results. This will certainly benefit from higher rays per pixel, but I wanted to see the final result that didn’t take a full day to render. I’ll certainly be back to this one in the future!

64 RPP, True Ambience (TA Scattering Correction), Soft Shadows, Blurry Reflections, Depth of Field, Reflection Correction, Lit with an HDRI and the Bryce Sun. Models from archive3d.net and Google 3D warehouse

I call it “Read’Em and Weep”

Image Attachments
read_em_and_weep.jpg

Posted: 26 March 2013 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2011-05-02

David, You could do a lot worse than using Hexagon’s UV mapper even though I use Wings I like to tidy up in Hex.

Do you use this version of wings ? Manifold Lab Plugin Collection it has many more features.

Posted: 26 March 2013 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
TapiocaTundra - 26 March 2013 02:01 AM

David, You could do a lot worse than using Hexagon’s UV mapper even though I use Wings I like to tidy up in Hex.

Do you use this version of wings ? Manifold Lab Plugin Collection it has many more features.

Er… no and you are not the first person to point this addition out to me, but I’ve yet to try it.  I suppose shall have to at some point, but does it change the Wings interface much, because given that I already have Octane on the go adding more to Wings as well might just be too much to take in at the moment.

Looking good MrSilus, I’ve been playing cards quite a few years now and I’ve only every had this hand turn up once in a Texas Hold-um game.  The next significant hand I was against was four aces and a king - that was a nice win because Mr four aces was pretty confident of taking the pot I can tell you.  The look on their face, it was priceless.

Oh, Dave, OK skin testing, since I’ve been talking about it.  Here’s a test with a model found at a link kindly provided by Graham Dresch.

http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/data/meshes.xml

Some cool models here to test your render engine with.

Here’s a five minute obscure lit render with a bit of Bryce sun for backup.  Note that the fill in from the obscure sphere of white can’t really go any lower than this because of lack of SSS and also, even now, you can see mesh smoothing issues.

Image Attachments
Head_test1.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 26 March 2013 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

Here is a short video to accompany this render.  Bryce 10 minute scene - Lighting Skin Experiment 1 - by David Brinnen

Image Attachments
Lighting_skin1.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2013 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3550
Joined  2004-10-01

@MrSilus - nice setup. You already know about the noise. The gals and the liquid in it diesn’t convince me. But as you say, it’s a WIP.

@David - thanks for the video. Good start, Obscure Lighting has its merits.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 26 March 2013 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

@Dave - the lady with the hoops is great.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 26 March 2013 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

Here I’ve done a side by side (Bryce left, Octane right) for some reason that I don’t know, the Octane HDRI has turned up black and white.

Full size image, if you want to view it, is 2000 x 1000.  The Bryce render took 15 minutes.  Octane I allowed to cook for 40.

Image Attachments
Bryce_v_octane17_f.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2013 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1617
Joined  2007-12-10

I’ve done an over and under comparison of a failed SSS test idea I had.

Top one took 10 mins, bottom one took 2 hours 20 minutes.

Image Attachments
SSSTest.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 26 March 2013 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
TheSavage64 - 26 March 2013 10:18 AM

I’ve done an over and under comparison of a failed SSS test idea I had.

Top one took 10 mins, bottom one took 2 hours 20 minutes.

Very nice test, the effect on the bottom model is excellent.  SSS is possible in Bryce but… for skin, very find control is needed, the rays need to be absorbed and scattered just below the surface, to give the right impression of density.  Your material here would be too translucent for skin I suspect - though it is a very good effect.

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2013 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
David Brinnen - 26 March 2013 10:24 AM

Very nice test, the effect on the bottom model is excellent.  SSS is possible in Bryce but… for skin, very find control is needed, the rays need to be absorbed and scattered just below the surface, to give the right impression of density.  Your material here would be too translucent for skin I suspect - though it is a very good effect.

Yes, it was just an avenue I was going to go down because I believe node based shaders use a trans map to determine the SSS. I was wondering if transparency could be used to map the areas which need to let a bit of light through. My next step was going to be to create a UV map for the wings shape and allow that to control the transparency to see how that worked.
After waiting for over 2 hours for a low RRP render at a very small size, I’m not sure I have the patience to continue down that road, especially when even if it works it would be almost impractical for a high quality render.

Besides, I think Wings models are especially suited to using transparency in this way as they are solid, whereas a Vicky model is made up of part mesh objects, so I’m not sure that method would translate to a human figure correctly in Bryce.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 26 March 2013 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

@David - the specular on the Bryce render is not consistent, in the Octane render it is. The colour of the HDRI and on the faces is differently interpreted. Perhaps the Bryce one is not tone-mapped. Also, we have usually Ignore tone mappig enabled, perhaps it gives off more accurate light it that control is unchecked. The Octane render is not sharp.

@Dave - this is an inetersting test. And now that you mention it - other renders often use specular and bump maps separately, probably also for other effects.

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2013 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

Yes, Horo.
I’ve been looking at some pages on modelling and texturing faces. It seems several different texture maps are required to layer the effects.
An example
Another example that uses the same model head David is using

It’s not beyond Bryce’s capability to use this many different maps to control the various aspects that need combining to get realistic skin.
The main problem always being that as soon you start to use transparency, the render times get silly, but I’m quite sure that the combination of a good SSS map (which really don’t require small detail but more blurred edged areas) and the correct balance of volume and transparency colour, it can be done… if you have the patience to wait for the render to render. smile

Signature 

Posted: 26 March 2013 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-10-01

These are impressive results. The second image in the second link shows the translucency of the ear nicely.

Signature 

2 of 100