1 of 100
Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4
Posted: 25 March 2013 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  2007-12-10

Prt 3 was here

Come on people… get posting so we can get the new Show us Your Bryce Renders thread started.
It doesn’t seem like two minutes since this one started, it has shot along at a great pace and is stacked full of great renders.
Seriously, look in some of the other sub forums and see how the Bryce renders compare so favourably.

Just in the last few pages, we’ve had Dan’s excellent Stonemason competition pic which is composed, lit and rendered to perfection.
Guss’s Wings 3D object rendered sharp and colourful (I feel left out with the Wings 3D stuff because I’ve never downloaded it, maybe something to fix soon, but I fear something that will eat up my time).
Mermaind’s lovely looking silver trinkets (more Wings 3D grrrrrr!!!!!)
And a great selection of renders from TLBKlaus, the last one being my favourite because I for many years I had more than a passing interest in flying saucers.

Here’s my latest… There is another version of this cooking at the moment which I think is an improvement, but I’ll probably wait for the new thread to post it. grin

Image Attachments
CardGirlBig.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 25 March 2013 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15312
Joined  2003-10-09

Well I have been trying like mad to get my lightning to look like lightning, and it doesn’t.  boohoo

Image Attachments
Skull_cove_complete_4.jpg
 Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 25 March 2013 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  169
Joined  2009-05-04

@TheSavage64: The lady has a nice dress. Hm, I am not quite sure, but I think the curtain is the same fabric?

@Chohole: Your litghning looks not bad, really not bad.

Posted: 25 March 2013 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
chohole - 25 March 2013 08:13 AM

Well I have been trying like mad to get my lightning to look like lightning, and it doesn’t.  boohoo

Is that Skull Cove? looking good.

Is your lightning Bryce or post work?
I’ve tried to make fork lightning as a model and failed miserably in the past (yours looks much better than mine ever did).
I ended up deciding the best way is to get a photo of lightning and placing it on a 2D vertical plane and using the material and mapping options to make it look right.

Maybe as another material challenge, David could make a convincing material to map on to a 2D plane? wink

At Electro-Elvis: The backdrop uses the same colours but it’s made from a terrain object placed vertically with the Misc/Fabrics/Patches 2 preset material applied (with its colours edited).

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 25 March 2013 01:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2536
Joined  2004-07-06
sinatrav2 - 24 March 2013 06:04 PM

Hi everyone. I am a semi pro artist and I love using Bryce, I had a discussion with David Brinnen and he suggested I share my Bryce animations here. Here is the link.  http://mvisioninc.com/arenas.html  Here you will find walkthrough animations for lazer quest and bazooka ball arenas. I hope you enjoy them. The textures and shapes were created in photoshop and imported in Bryce.

Impressive, particularly to see Bryce being put to practical use.  The video’s downloaded very quickly, so I guess they are only small, which explains the low frame rate.  The textures on the models look very exciting!

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 25 March 2013 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
Horo - 25 March 2013 01:48 AM
David Brinnen - 24 March 2013 03:27 PM
chohole - 24 March 2013 03:21 PM

Have you tried UV Mapper. THere is a free version that you can download to play with to see if you get on with it.

http://www.uvmapper.com/

Thanks Pam I’ll give it a go - it is in my price range!

That link has been on my Raytracing > Tools list since 2004 ...

Oh yes…  but if it is that old… will it still work?  I will download the demo and see what happens.

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 25 March 2013 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

Since the website has started working for me again - it was terrible earlier for some reason.

Jamie and mermaid010 - well done with following the tutorials, the results look spot on!

TLBKlaus - another selection of stunning renders - if only we had a gallery you would be dominating with all this output!  I like the portals particularly.

Dave and Pam, well, brilliant as usual, but in different ways… so what’s all this about lightening?  Looks pretty authentic I think though, maybe if it was a photo the scene would be darker due to the lighting causing the aperture of the camera to shut down?

OK I spoke too soon, the websites stopped working again…

Signature 

Posted: 25 March 2013 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  675
Joined  2006-05-26
David Brinnen - 25 March 2013 01:20 PM
Horo - 25 March 2013 01:48 AM
David Brinnen - 24 March 2013 03:27 PM
chohole - 24 March 2013 03:21 PM

Have you tried UV Mapper. THere is a free version that you can download to play with to see if you get on with it.

http://www.uvmapper.com/

Thanks Pam I’ll give it a go - it is in my price range!

That link has been on my Raytracing > Tools list since 2004 ...

Oh yes…  but if it is that old… will it still work?  I will download the demo and see what happens.

UV Mapper Classic is a fantastic free application, I highly recommend it. I just upgraded to the UV Mapper Pro and I am very pleased with the decision. As far as what I have been reading online even to this day there are few other applications with more powerful UV mapping tools than what UV Mapper Classic and Pro can provide. The most recent UV mapper version was released in 2011 or something, so its not so far removed from the markets of today. It is a solid app.

UV Mapper Classic is very simple, it doesn’t really give you an idea of how in depth the full Pro version is. Hope this is helpful info.

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 25 March 2013 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06

Thank you Rashad for the endorsement, yes most helpful to know when trying to pick between so many options out there.  I’m giving it a try right now.  So far so good.

Cheers,

David.

Signature 

Posted: 25 March 2013 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3376
Joined  2004-10-01

@Dave - lady render looks great!

@Pam - excellent lighting - in nature, they would be more blurred and with a halo around them. Minor quibbles, though.

@David - the link is old but still works and points to a much newer version.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 25 March 2013 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  118
Joined  2008-11-17
Horo - 24 March 2013 08:08 AM

@dwsel_ - very enlighting (no pun intended) tests.

I’m happy to hear you enjoy my tests. Late thanks because this thread is running fast like crazy for my poor mind working at slow pace.

David Brinnen - 24 March 2013 03:06 PM

Cheers!  OK can I pick a wise old apes brain?  UV mapping software, do you have any recommendations?  I have models and I have textures, and I want to bring the two of them together - preferably in such a way as they will play nicely.  Any clues would be gratefully received.  I’ve been messing with Wings3D UV mapping/tapping/unwrapping menu and my goodness, it’s produced some unhelpful results.  So… maybe?  There’s something else out there.  Preferably free, because I’m skint, but I don’t mind if it’s say, as much as a tank of petrol - for example.  I can always take my push bike instead.

May I have a recommendation? Though you probably won’t be happy from this suggestion wink
I’ve found that one of the most useful unwrappers for me is the one from Blen… the name that shall never be spoken/written… When you set up the interface and set it do default you can always open ‘just the unwrapper part’.

TLBKlaus - 24 March 2013 10:37 PM

Hello again all, here are my latest chess pics, and some other older ones…... :D

I like the materials on the first chess as well as the light on the image with potrals.

GussNemo - 24 March 2013 11:33 PM

I finally got around to finishing(?) David’s first woven cube tutorial; the cube was made but needed completed in Bryce.  The lighting might be just as David showed, I’d have to watch the video again, but I rather like the results with the material used on the cube.  The only difference between the two images with shadow is the color of the material for the infinite plane.  The cube without shadow has the sun disabled, I was curious to see the affect.  Disabling the sun also changed the color of the material of the infinite plane, something I rather like.  Still in all, I’m rather pleased with these three images.  As usual, comments are gladly welcomed.

It seems finished from the point of view of the tutorial. The material has a nice specular response. When you turn off the sun it seems to be missing something. It might be beneficial for the image to crop it a little bit closer, lower the reflection of the floor and use stronger ibl, ta lighting.

chohole - 25 March 2013 08:13 AM

Why not to paint some violet glows on the top layer in the screen blending mode? Adding some radials in places where the bolts are supposed to cast light would help considerably. Ohh… and with the volumetric clouds the radials with falloff and without casting shadows would make the glows inside the clouds as in the real life.

Posted: 25 March 2013 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
David Brinnen - 25 March 2013 01:47 PM

Thank you Rashad for the endorsement, yes most helpful to know when trying to pick between so many options out there.  I’m giving it a try right now.  So far so good.

Cheers,

David.

What’s all this fuss about now?
Today I watched a tutorial on the UV mapper in Wings3D and it seems like it’s not too complex.
Even easier as you already know the quirks of Wings3D.

I downloaded it today and have had a little play with it.
My first foray into vertex modelling with Wings3D reminded me of the first time Johnny Vegas came to my attention… he was doing pottery on the radio.

Image Attachments
Jug.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 25 March 2013 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

And as the thread was unexpectedly split sooner than I thought it would be, I’ll post the alternative version of the girl in the groovy outfit.

The coordinated backdrop was OK but I thought it needed a contrast to pull her out a bit, then I decided to give her something to do.

Image Attachments
HoolaGirl.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 25 March 2013 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-06
TheSavage64 - 25 March 2013 03:19 PM
David Brinnen - 25 March 2013 01:47 PM

Cheers,

David.

What’s all this fuss about now?
Today I watched a tutorial on the UV mapper in Wings3D and it seems like it’s not too complex.
Even easier as you already know the quirks of Wings3D.

I downloaded it today and have had a little play with it.
My first foray into vertex modelling with Wings3D reminded me of the first time Johnny Vegas came to my attention… he was doing pottery on the radio.

OK now I am torn, UVmapper and Blen… ahem, Dwsel’s suggestion, and now Wings3D - which would be super if possible because as you say I like wings anyway.  So can you point me to the tutorial?  Then I can be really wondering which way to go.  So much software - my poor old brain cells can’t take it.  I’ve turned into the kind of person who can’t walk from one room to another without loosing either his glasses, his keys or his cup of half drunk coffee.  I think I’ve used up all my RAM :(  Nice render, once again, though you must be tired of me telling you this, you have a real eye for composition.

Signature 

Posted: 25 March 2013 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
David Brinnen - 25 March 2013 03:30 PM

OK now I am torn, UVmapper and Blen… ahem, Dwsel’s suggestion, and now Wings3D - which would be super if possible because as you say I like wings anyway.  So can you point me to the tutorial?

Wings 3D UV mapping (part 1)
Wings 3D UV mapping (part 2)

This is the one (technically two) I watched but I saw there were quite few others on YouTube.

David Brinnen - 25 March 2013 03:30 PM

Then I can be really wondering which way to go.  So much software - my poor old brain cells can’t take it.  I’ve turned into the kind of person who can’t walk from one room to another without loosing either his glasses, his keys or his cup of half drunk coffee.  I think I’ve used up all my RAM :(  Nice render, once again, though you must be tired of me telling you this, you have a real eye for composition.

I can’t remember which actor it was who said “the only thing worse than people writing stuff about you is people not writing stuff about you” (paraphrased).
Does anyone get tired of positive comments? grin

Signature 

Posted: 25 March 2013 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

I figured while I had a correctly Brycified V4 in Bryce, I’d make use of her.

Image Attachments
SteamPunkClose.jpg
 Signature 

1 of 100