Just started using DS4 Pro, got the freebies when they were available + bought the V5 bundle to have a start. I have zero experience in this sort of thing, but i think it looks like a lot of fun. Eventually my goal will be to use renders as a base to bring into photoshop, where i can work on it much like i would a photograph. Based on a couple of nights tinkering around i have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer
1) Renderer. I’ve been using the highest quality one packaged with DS4 (3Delight) but my understanding is that there are higher quality renderers available. Can anyone point me in the right direction on information or good ones to look into getting? I also can’t find any good documentation on the advanced settings of 3Delight. I can guess at some of them, but are there any optimum settings that get the most out of it?
2) Content Management / MetaData. I understand that i can add keywords as metadata to various objects, however the search only seems to be able to identify one tag at a time. Is there any way to add boolean searches (ie. if i wanted to search for “hairstyles” and “long hair” and “curls”? Also, i am kind of confused on what the workflow is intended to be. On the right hand side i have a content library tab that seems to have everything in a somewhat, but not completely organized tree structure of folders. On the left hand side i have SmartContent, Surfaces, etc which seems like it is supposed to organize me content better, but things don’t seem to be particularly better ordered, and a lot of stuff seems to be missing (V4, for example, is nowhere to be found). Anyone have any tips on best workflow for managing content (and is content management what people refer to as their “runtime”?)
3) I downloaded some freebie hair objects and sometimes they just don’t seem to fit. Same thing for clothes. I have tried selecting them and pointing them to both the right character, or the part of the character that seems appropriate, and it has sometimes helped, sometimes not. For example, i had some shoes where I could get the right shoe to fit perfectly, but the left one was clipping through the foot. Furthermore, ive tried to use the Z Y and Z to move them to nudge them into position, and while what looks like a selection box moves, the content itself does not.
4) Compatability between V4, and Genesis (specifically with V5). My understanding from a bit of research is that pretty much all V4 content can be fitted to Genesis (which may very well be wrong) . this seems to work reasonable well (though not perfectly). However, if i load V5 and then load V4 content, it seems to not work very well at all, or not at all in some cases. However, if i did it with default female on genesis it works better (though not perfectly). Is there any way to force V4 content to fit genesis?
5) Navigation. As a long time photoshop user, i’m used to using a lot of keyboard tricks to help navigate the software quickly. Panning, Zooming and rotating seems like it should be easier, but the only way I’ve figured out to do it is using the spinny cube in the top right, and the icons to the right of it. Would love to be able to do stuff like spacebar-pan. do shortcuts like these exist? is there a better way to navigate quickly?
6) Tutorials. There are a lot of 3d posing and modeling tutorials online, but none of them seem to apply to DAZ. Is there a good resource of tutorials available for a new user? I’ve seen a few of the “official” DAZ tutuorials on youtube, but they’ve been not very useful :(
Phew that was a lot! I appreciate it if you’ve made it this far, and hope to get at least some of the answer!