Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Newbie question on content
Posted: 22 March 2013 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-02-02

I use DAZ 4.5, and Bryce 7 pro. What I would like to do is load the Bryce 5.0 Content Pack and other things I have for Bryce, so I can actually use them in Bryce. Anything would helpful.

Posted: 22 March 2013 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1617
Joined  2007-12-10

Should be no problem, they are all compatible.

Have the Bryce 5 content on your drive (they should be a set of .obp files).
Open Bryce and go to ‘Create’, then click the little triangle to enter into your object pre-sets library.
At bottom left it says ‘Installed’. If you click to the right of that you get a sub menu, the other option being ‘User’
Choose user and create a new sub section using the little plus sign. Give it a recognisable name that corresponds to what you’re going to add to it (so if you’re adding boats, call the sub section boats).
Click the tick and then in the bottom of the library window click ‘import’.
Navigate to where your Bryce 5 content is and choose an .obp file to import.
It will then appear in the first available blank square with a little preview.
Rinse and repeat with the other content you wish to add.

Alternatively, you can manually drag the files from their present folder into the corresponding folder that your Bryce 7 uses but as I’m on a Mac, your would be a different path, so I’ll let someone else give you instructions about doing it that way.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 22 March 2013 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2012-02-02

I have the programs, I’m a PC, but in running the exe’s, what file path should I use in the first place? That would be the place to start for me. If I can get the programs downloaded in the first place. I’ll check back tomorrow, and give it a go.

Posted: 22 March 2013 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8697
Joined  2007-11-06
TerryFoxxe - 22 March 2013 07:53 PM

I have the programs, I’m a PC, but in running the exe’s, what file path should I use in the first place? That would be the place to start for me. If I can get the programs downloaded in the first place. I’ll check back tomorrow, and give it a go.

If you’re using Win7/8/Vista, be sure to install Bryce OUTSIDE of Program Files/Program Files (x86).

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 23 March 2013 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3547
Joined  2004-10-01

@TerryFoxxe - do as fixmypcmike said. Even better, install on another drive. As for the Bryce 5 Content pack: there are files that may go everywhere as long as you can find them, but there are others that need to be at a particular place. This document http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf should help you sorting this out.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 23 March 2013 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4770
Joined  2004-07-01
fixmypcmike - 22 March 2013 08:15 PM

If you’re using Win7/8/Vista, be sure to install Bryce OUTSIDE of Program Files/Program Files (x86).

why - I have Bryce there - works great .

Posted: 23 March 2013 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2012-02-02

Downloaded the PDF. Thanks.

Posted: 23 March 2013 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8697
Joined  2007-11-06
bigh - 23 March 2013 03:27 AM

Some content must be in a subfolder of the application folder, which Windows will protect.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 23 March 2013 08:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
fixmypcmike - 23 March 2013 07:51 PM

Some content must be in a subfolder of the application folder, which Windows will protect.

Yup, I think I’ve read that if you don’t use the content for a while Windows will move it without asking and then Bryce can’t find it anymore.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 23 March 2013 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1533
Joined  2003-10-09
TheSavage64 - 23 March 2013 08:01 PM

Yup, I think I’ve read that if you don’t use the content for a while Windows will move it without asking and then Bryce can’t find it anymore.

Yikes, didn’t know that.  Anybody know of an example item of content that has this problem that I can check for that I might now be missing, or do you mean ALL content (in which case I’ll notice for sure when it happens.)

Posted: 23 March 2013 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10

Sorry, can’t help you anymore than I have. And bear in mind I may even be wrong about that, it’s just something I think I remember reading about.

If I’m remembering correctly (no guarantee), then there is something in Windows that thinks that inactive files may be trojans or something and it puts them in a kind of quarantine area. This doesn’t happen if they are not installed where Windows would usually put them.

Edit to add: The content isn’t lost for ever, it can be found and moved back so that Bryce sees it again.

Signature 

Posted: 24 March 2013 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-01
TheSavage64 - 23 March 2013 08:01 PM

where do you guys come up with this stuff !

Posted: 24 March 2013 02:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3547
Joined  2004-10-01

No, none. This is a misconception as far as Windows is concerned.. Bryce can be installed wherever you like, preferably not on the C drive. The same is true for Studio. I have several Bryce installed from 4 up, also some betas. I also have 3 Studio versions installed, 2.3, 3 and 4.5. All work.

Image Attachments
NonC.gif
 Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 24 March 2013 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-10
bigh - 24 March 2013 12:49 AM

Mostly from half reading stuff that PC users write on the forum… I say half reading because my eyes tend to glaze over when someone mentions Windows. cheese

Edit to add: This morning I have a distinct feeling that I may have been getting two problems mixed into one. I seem to remember the problem with content not going where it should was not because of Windows but because someone was trying to instal content with Nortons Anti-Virus enabled or something… still I may be wrong… my eyes are glazing just thinking about it. smile

Signature 

Posted: 24 March 2013 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15951
Joined  2003-10-09

I must admit that having read all the things one must not do when installing stuff into Windoze 7 or 8, when I had this new computer built I had 2 hard drives installed, one has nothing on it but OS, browsers AV and similar, the other has all my program files on it, to avoid all those pitfalls that seem to occur when running installers to Win 7.  It is far fussier than XP was.  Windoze (from Vista upwards) does not like many of the programs DAZ 3D users commonly use installed into “program files” on the C drive it seems. It has caused users a lot of problems, especially with programs like Daz Studio and Poser.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 24 March 2013 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-01
TheSavage64 - 24 March 2013 04:49 AM
bigh - 24 March 2013 12:49 AM

Mostly from half reading stuff that PC users write on the forum… I say half reading because my eyes tend to glaze over when someone mentions Windows. cheese

Edit to add: This morning I have a distinct feeling that I may have been getting two problems mixed into one. I seem to remember the problem with content not going where it should was not because of Windows but because someone was trying to instal content with Nortons Anti-Virus enabled or something… still I may be wrong… my eyes are glazing just thinking about it. smile

LOL
you much use a mac smile

1 of 2