Downloading and Installing DAZ Studio: a guide and FAQ
This is a brief tutorial designed to guide you through the process of getting ready to use DAZ Studio and its content.
This is intended for people who currently do not have DAZ Studio 4, or any DAZ 3D content, installed on their computer (in other words, you’re either new to DAZ Studio, or you’re using a new computer, or you’ve uninstalled everything in order to start from scratch).*
*If this doesn’t describe you because you do have the software, or some DAZ 3D content, installed on your computer, then please keep in mind that things may not work exactly the same way for you...some steps may not apply to you, and there may be additional steps that this tutorial does not cover.
How To Order DAZ Studio from the DAZ 3D store (it’s currently being offered free of charge)
1. Create an account, if you don't have one yet.
2. Follow this link: http://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-4-pro/
2. Click the green “Add to Cart” button
- If you see a gray “Purchased” button instead, you may have already done this
3. Click the “My Cart” link at the top of the screen and complete the check-out process.
4. When you finish checking out, you should see a confirmation screen that says “Your order was successful.” Click the link for the DAZ Install Manager (but don’t download it yet...read on).
About The DAZ Install Manager
- Read the information on the page about the DAZ Install Manager and decide if you would like to use it, or if you would prefer to download and install your content manually. I like using the DAZ Install Manager and recommend giving it a try, but it may not be right for everyone. You can always change your mind later, but you’ll need to make at least a preliminary decision now.
If You Are Using the DAZ Install Manager...
1. After ordering the DAZ Studio 4.6 program, go to this page: http://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info/
2. Click the “Download Free Now” link (either the Windows one or the Mac one, depending on your system)
3. To install the DAZ Install Manager, click this link and follow the instructions provided
4. Once it is installed, open the Install Manager. You’ll need to add your account information, and configure it for use. Click this link and follow the instructions provided.
5. Instructions on downloading and installing files using the DAZ Install Manager are also available, though for most users the process should be fairly straightforward
6. Note that you can click the gear icon in the upper right corner, and tell the Install Manager which programs you use...then it will only show files for the appropriate programs.
7. Run the Install Manager periodically (especially after purchasing content) to check for newly available files and content updates
If You’re Not Using the DAZ Install Manager...
Your first step will be to download and install the DAZ Studio software.
Downloading and Running the DAZ Studio Installer
1. Click the “My Account” link at the top of the web page.
2. On the menu on the top of the screen, click "Product Library."
3. Find and click on "DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro" in the list of products
- Depending on how many things you have purchased, you may need to search or click through several pages to find "DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro."
4. In the center of the screen, you'll see a list of files. Read the details below in order to learn which file or files you need.
- The list includes four installers for DAZ Studio. You'll have to choose the one that's appropriate for your system: 32-bit Mac, 64-bit Mac, 32-bit Windows, or 64-bit Windows.
- Below, you'll find links to installers for various plug-ins and add-ons. If you're not sure about these, you can ignore them for now--except anything with "Starter Essentials" in the name. You should click the link to download any "Starter Essentials" packages.
5. Click the appropriate link below and follow the instructions.
- Windows - How to Download and Install DAZ Studio 4
- Mac - How to Download and Install DAZ Studio 4
6. Go ahead and install the Genesis Starter Essentials also, following the instructions provided.
7. Follow the same process to install any additional Starter Essentials packages
8. You’re done (for now). Start the software and follow the instructions on screen to get started
9. Each time you acquire additional content through the DAZ 3D store, you’ll need to click the “My Account” link, then the “Product Library” link, and download and install the appropriate file.
Resources for Learning DAZ Studio
Housekeeping and Maintenance in DAZ Studio 4
Installing Zip Files with DAZ Studio 4
DAZ Studio 4 FAQ
DS4 Video Tutorials
DS4 User Guide
Glossary of Terms
Some Things to Consider When Starting to Learn CG
DAZ Studio Basics 101 Q&A Thread
New User's Help Forum
DAZ Studio 4.0 - The Missing Manual (unofficial)