Digital Art Zone

11 of 13
Downloading and Installing DAZ Studio: a guide and FAQ
Posted: 06 December 2013 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 151 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3343
Joined  2012-02-06

Working on a comprehensive update to the first post of the thread…in the meantime, here’s a link to a new official guide: How to download and install DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro for New Users

(saintly1941: see previous post for instructions on doing a custom content installation using DIM)

Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 07 December 2013 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 152 ]
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2011-11-14

Thanks a lot Scott. Now I’m still caught in the middle here. I have a new 3TB HD to install, so the question is do I still go ahead with the install to E: of which is the main reason why I’m having so much trouble with installing EVERYTHING. So the idea might be lost, and with the fact that I bought another HD could very well be a better direction and let DIM install to C: as per normal. Can I be assured that this line of action would be better than attempting a custom install to another location? Becuae it had always pained me that when I had done everything I could to get everything installed, it always ended up with Content being(To me at least) in the wrong place, that being C:\users etc,etc.

Hanging on a thread here.

Posted: 07 December 2013 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16430
Joined  2009-01-22

I’m not following. All my DIM content installs on D and my DAZ Studio and DIM are on C. Very do able.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 07 December 2013 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06

My own computer doesn’t have anything more than C: but if yours does, just set the install directory (step 9) to E:/My DAZ 3D Library or whatever. Should work fine, if you follow the steps, even if it’s not on the C drive.

Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 08 December 2013 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06

Hopefully things go more smoothly for you now. I think those instructions should help you get up and running. If you do run into more trouble, please let us know what step you are having problems with, or, if you complete all the steps but still can’t find your content in DS.

Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 17 December 2013 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2012-08-17

On my previous installation i didn’t have extra content next to the standard provided content. I don’t really remember in which year I installed it, but what I do know is that I installed everything manually. Early in this year I bought some content in the DAZ shop and on Renderosity. Because I didn’t have much time (and harddisk space) I didn’t install it.

In the summer vacation my Graphics Card died and I decided to upgrade my whole system and do a Reinstall. At the moment I have finally some time (not really much though) to reinstall the DAZ3D products and content. In the last months I tried to find out how to correctly install everything. There are just some questions I can’t find an answer to.

Everywhere is stated to select the content you want to install. But nowhere is stated in which order you should install the content. Let me explain why I ask this. If there were some content, say A, which is specially for some other content, say B (which has a specific folder). When content A would be installed before content B, then the installer for content A would not find the install path because it does not exist before content B would be installed. I don’t know if the installers work like this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if if there were dependencies in the order of installation. If there were just a few installations it wouldn’t be a huge problem to sort out which installers are the main content B, and which the additional content A, but if I look at my content in the Product Library, I see a frightening amount of content.

I also have some DAZ3D content which I got with a magazine. Is it possible to add it to the Install Manager?

As for my Renderosity content, as far as I understand, I have to install it manually.

Posted: 17 December 2013 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

For DAZ Genesis content it really does not matter, if For example it needs B it will just say Cant find B and load anyway but not apply B. Hope that helps. When you install B it will be in the right place and then load. Be sure ALL Genesis G1 G2 G2F G2M and all morphs ect go into just ONE content folder though. Don’t spread it out like we can With M4 V4 to diff Runtimes.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.

Posted: 17 December 2013 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2007-11-06
Jaderail - 17 December 2013 04:54 PM

For DAZ Genesis content it really does not matter, if For example it needs B it will just say Cant find B and load anyway but not apply B. Hope that helps. When you install B it will be in the right place and then load. Be sure ALL Genesis G1 G2 G2F G2M and all morphs ect go into just ONE content folder though. Don’t spread it out like we can With M4 V4 to diff Runtimes.

You can’t spread out the 4th gen morphs.  I’ve been told you can with Genesis, but I haven’t tried it.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 17 December 2013 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22
fixmypcmike - 17 December 2013 04:56 PM
Jaderail - 17 December 2013 04:54 PM

You can’t spread out the 4th gen morphs.  I’ve been told you can with Genesis, but I haven’t tried it.

I meant Separate folders for each Figure which you can do, all that figures morphs must go in its folder of course. M4 one Runtime for ALL M4 was my point. Don’t do that with Genesis, put ALL in one Folder.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2013 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]
Joined  2012-08-17

If I understand correctly, I do best to use the “My DAZ 3D Library” for Genesis, Genesis 2 and M5, V5 and above (and Young Teens and other genesis based creatures).
There seem to be a lot of people who make an M4 library, V4 library, S4 library, A4 library and so on. Would it be strange if if I make an V4 library and M4 library, and put S4 and A4 also in the V4 library and put H4 and The Freak 4 into the M4 library (since S4 and A4 are based on V4, and H4 and The Freak 4 are based on M4).
Or would it then make more sense to make an folder “Non-Genesis gen4 Library” and put V4, S4, A4, M4, H4 and The Freak 4 altogether in it. Apart from those I might also do some separe library’s for other content .
In this case I guess I would make/have the following Library’s

- My DAZ 3D Library                 (Genesis, Genesis2, M5, V5, M6, V6, Young Teens)
- Non-Genesis gen4 Library (V4, S4, A4, M4, H4, The Freak4)
- Creatures and Things         (animals, creatures, and their animations, poses and props)
- Environments and Props   (buildings, interiors, landscapes, furniture, machinery, weapons, lighting, plants, vehicles)

Would that be a good enough setup? there is much stuff which works for example on V4 as well as on S4 as well on A4.
In this case all the props and things are already scattered enough I think. The last to library’s are based on the categories in the shop which seems to make sense.
Do the library’s have any kind of influence in the way stuff pops up in the smart content pane?

There is some content which confuses me. “Carrara Hair Caps” and “Carrara Hair Caps for Genesis and Genesis 2” confuse me to where I have to install them. Do I have to place “Carrara Hair Caps” into the Carrara native content library (Don’t know exactly where that is) or in the “My DAZ 3D Library” where genesis will be placed, or does DIM choose the carrara native content library anyway wether I select something else or not. I guess that the “Carrara Hair Caps for Genesis and Genesis 2” has to be placed in the “My DAZ 3D Library”, or not?
The same problem with Bryce content.

I hope someone can answer these maybe simple problems. I am sure it is explained somewhere, but I guess I just missed it while reading the answer, there is such a huge amount of info that it is easy to miss some of it.

Posted: 19 December 2013 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1542
Joined  2008-02-14

I posted some info and screenshots regarding installing and using the correct Ds version of an environment product in DAZ Studio as opposed to the Poser (Ps) version of the same files,  which might be of some use in this discussion too. Link to the Commons:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/34288/

Signature 

PUBLISHED ARTIST
First Bastion’s Environments here at Daz

Posted: 19 December 2013 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-22

For Really simple I just put it All in My DAZ 3D Library myself all DIM installed and use Content Library Tab so I can use the DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats sections just like I did in DS3. I only have Sep folders linked to my DS3 version now.

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2013 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]
Joined  2012-08-17

I also have yet another question related to the content installation.In http://wiki.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/dazcontentconfiguration#install_to_the_correct_path is stated that you run all installers, wether ds or dpc, otherwise the installation is not complete *1. The page is talking about manual install, not trough DIM, but it does rise the question how the DIM handles it. In the list in DIM, there are some files which also have a posercf file. Does this apply the same way to this files? To install for example Alruna and Alruna PoserCF both (with the “Recommended DAZ Studio/Poser Content Folder” location). Let me make clear that I do not have Poser Installed (I only have DAZ Studio, Carrara, Bryce and Hexagon). I might install it someday, but at the moment I do not intend to use it. My reason for asking this is purely for the sake of installing the content completely.

*1: further on the page at the FAQ, it states:

“You should run both the installers labeled _ds_ and the installers _dpc_ when you are working in DAZ Studio. If you only run the installers labeled _ds_, you wil not get the whole product.”

Jaderail - 19 December 2013 02:15 PM

For Really simple I just put it All in My DAZ 3D Library myself all DIM installed and use Content Library Tab so I can use the DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats sections just like I did in DS3. I only have Sep folders linked to my DS3 version now.

Does it have some advantages having everything in the same folder? does it otherwise limit things like “Genesis Generation X”, “V4 and M4 Shapes for Genesis” and “Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female”?

Posted: 20 December 2013 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2007-11-06

If you set the Download Filters in DIM to only the software you use, it will only show the files you need.  If the zips are named properly, anything labeled CF (Companion File) means it needs the other zip as well—so if it is a StudioCF and you use DS, you need to install the Poser version also; if it is a PoserCF and you use Poser, you need to install the DS version also..  If you just use DS you don’t need the PoserCF’s.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 01 January 2014 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 165 ]
Joined  2012-08-17

Hello Everyone,

While installing with DIM and checking my Product Library, I discovered that there are several products which are partly usable through DIM while other parts are not. It might be that the DIM files consist of those other files, but that is something I do not know. Has someone more information on this? The products concerning are:

Carrara products (all from Howie Farkes):
- country lane 2
- Secret lake
- secret lake seasons
- stoney creek
- stoney creek beechdale
- stoney creek sprucevale
- valle alpina
- world gardens japan

Native contents:
- Bryce 5.0 Content Pack
- Carrara 8 Native Content

DAZ Studio products:
- Amaya Hair
- Basicwear for V4A4G4 and Elite
- Fashion V4
- Primrose for S4
- Shader Mixer Tutorial
- Techno Tabby V4 A4 Elite
- V4 Elite Body Shapes

Next to that, there are also the bundles which give me same problem. It might be content which is already covered by the sub-products, but it might also be original content which has to be installed separately. Again the list:

- DAZ Horse 2 Pro Bundle
- Stephanie 4 Starter Pack
- Victoria 4 3D Model Pro Suite
- Young Teens 5 Pro Bundle

I also have a little other question. Are there more people who do not see a serial for FaceShop 8 WIN in their “My Serial Number” list ?

11 of 13