Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Where do I put Bryce content?
Posted: 15 June 2012 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16021
Joined  2003-10-09

Yeah, I will have to work out how to make partitions, when I get the new PC. I liked the one with partitons on it, did make organising things much easier.  Trouble was someone else set it up for me. I have been a bit lax in letting people who are “experts” do things for me, and now of course, having moved well away, I don’t see them often.

I now live in Wales, my son is in Ireland and himself’s nephew is still down near London.  Was alwasy one or the other of those two who do a lot of things for me, they liked messing around with things. Nephew has his own FixITpc business, and My son is now doing a Bsc at Dublin Uni in IT and a teaching degree as well. Just finished his first year there and doing well, although he is the oldest in the class, which is all “Mature students” rather than school leavers.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 15 June 2012 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2012-04-28
IanzThingz - 15 June 2012 04:54 AM
chohole - 15 June 2012 04:16 AM

I know just waht you mean about that.  I still render in B5.  When I had this PC built I never got rund to re downloading B6, (backup disc failed) , and I seriously doubt that B7 will do much on this ancient machine (6 years old), although I purchased it when it first came out.

Hopefully someday soon I shall get a new PC, although the idea of reinstalling everything is a bit daunting.

Once the site settles down I hope to have time to contemplate doing it.

would you need to re-install everything, surely you just copy the content to an external drive and copy it back to the new drive? This what I do when i re-install DS.

See, just like I thought - my computer IS a dinosaur, LOL! My system is also about six years old, and when I built it, I put it together with some of the intensive 3D games (that were out at the time) in mind. I’ve upgraded the video card probably three times, but the memory was maxed out from the start, as was the CPU. I have my eye on getting my wife and I both new systems soon (one of these days), because now I’m doing the DS4 thing, and Bryce too, if I can get a handle on it, and my wife does video editing and graphic design.

As far as reinstalling Bryce on a new system, the software is one thing - you can just reinstall it, but you will want to make sure all your projects and content are backed up. I’m sure you know that already. I have two hard drives on my system, the main one split into two partitions (one for Windows and programs, one for files). I actually wanted to put DS4 onto the second partition to save space, but I had an issue with the content manager not working right, so I had to install it onto C, and now everything works. Now I just have to mind that I don’t fill up the rest of C with content, LOL! I also put Bryce onto C, so…

Posted: 16 June 2012 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1281
Joined  2008-03-30

I have a 2TB drive in the desktop, split into 2, 300GB for windows and programs and the rest for data and DS content, Bryce and its content is also installed on the data partition to keep it all together.

Signature 

[Join the little green box collection party!]
Ianz Place
Daz 3D Documentation
Daz 3D on YouTube
Daz 3D Forum Archive

Posted: 16 June 2012 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  92
Joined  2012-04-28

My main drive (120GB) is an older one that’s actually moved from a older system into the one I have now (recycled, basically). I also have another 250GB drive that just has a lot of games, video editing files and stuff on it. I would’ve actually liked to use that drive for Daz, but then there was the issue with having Daz on one drive and the content manager service running in windows on the other drive, which is when I noticed I needed to put it all in one place. Ah, well…

Posted: 16 June 2012 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-30

just did a reply to this and got kicked off the forum!!

Anyway, I have daz on the c: drive, but the content is out of the way on the data partition, so if i ever re-install windows or daz i don’t need to re-install any of the content wink

Signature 

Ianz Place
Daz 3D Documentation
Daz 3D on YouTube
Daz 3D Forum Archive

Posted: 16 June 2012 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I have to admit II have got into the habit of coping my post (if it is an involved one) just in case, so if the hamsteres do go wonky while posting I can just paste it in again.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge

Posted: 16 June 2012 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-30

Doing that myself now, strange, the forum has been pretty ok for me till today.

Signature 

Ianz Place
Daz 3D Documentation
Daz 3D on YouTube
Daz 3D Forum Archive

Posted: 16 June 2012 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

It got quite wobbly for a bit last night, but we knew that was cos they were doing some serious work on things, well, we surmised that was what caused the slow down.

Today I am getting just normal Saturday slowness all over, think my dodgy broadband gets a little slow most weekends, for some reason.

Signature 

Posted: 16 June 2012 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3567
Joined  2004-10-01
chohole - 15 June 2012 08:07 AM

Yeah, I will have to work out how to make partitions, when I get the new PC. I liked the one with partitons on it, did make organising things much easier.

There is Partition Wizard http://www.partitionwizard.com/ a free tool which is so easy to use even a dummy like me could make it work. I used to have Partition Magic but it doesn’t work on Win 7 anymore though it wasn’t free.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 16 June 2012 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

And again, thanks Horo. I shall make a note of that, and hopethey soon manage to get everything sorted out on this website, so I will be able to go back to doing some of the stuff I enjoy doing instead of what we are mostly doing now, which is taking up a lot of time, as you can see from my post count already, and I am not the only one on the forum team up that high.

Signature 

Posted: 18 June 2012 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-30

When i do a fresh install of windows to a bare drive, i choose to set-up an initial partition for windows, in this case it was 500GB and once windows is in I use Disk Management located in Administrative Tools to create or resize any other partitions I need. smile

Image Attachments
partition.png
 Signature 

Ianz Place
Daz 3D Documentation
Daz 3D on YouTube
Daz 3D Forum Archive

2 of 2