Total Posts:  6469
Joined  2007-12-04

I’ve felt the same way for a couple years. blank stare
Hence:
►    Carrara & Computers

►    How to Build Your Own Carrara Workstation

►    Buying a Workstation

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 24 March 2013 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  726
Joined  2009-06-14
Dartanbeck - 23 March 2013 08:45 PM

I’ve felt the same way for a couple years. blank stare
Hence:
►    Carrara & Computers

►    How to Build Your Own Carrara Workstation

►    Buying a Workstation

Well it’s going to be a while before I can do anything.  I tend to help other people a lot so am a little over extended at the moment.

My machine isn’t bad per se.  It’s an i7 machine with 16 gig of ram and an older GTX graphics card.  It’s just a lot slower than what I would like.  No matter how fast of a machine I get it always seems like a doorstop.  I do run a ton of different apps on it though and if I stripped it down to the bare bones it’d probably be faster.  I do have a i7 desktop that is stripped down.  Not sure how good the graphics card is in it though.  The way my setup is at home it’s more of a hassle to use that machine.

Posted: 24 March 2013 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Sweet machine. Carrara doesn’t need a super graphics card except for the working displays in OpenGL. I’ve been noticing that whenever I hit render, all eight cores jump to 100%, as they darn well better! lol but my 16 Gigs of RAM never comes close to getting pegged. I must be optimizing my scenes, eh?

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 25 March 2013 06:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-14
Dartanbeck - 24 March 2013 09:40 PM

Sweet machine. Carrara doesn’t need a super graphics card except for the working displays in OpenGL. I’ve been noticing that whenever I hit render, all eight cores jump to 100%, as they darn well better! lol but my 16 Gigs of RAM never comes close to getting pegged. I must be optimizing my scenes, eh?

Yeah on ram, I’m in good shape.  Wish it didn’t take 100% to all cores for hours though lol.  Then I could play a game or something while I’m waiting.  I did a render overnight I know probably went 3-5 hours and it’s too dark and totally worthless lol.  So it’s a throw away at some point.  This was in Daz and not Carrara though.  I’m not sure I can duplicate in Carrara but may give it a try and see how it goes.

It uses Stone Mason’s Cryo Environment, Six Genesis characters and the supersuit.

Posted: 25 March 2013 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2004-01-07
Dartanbeck - 20 March 2013 08:07 PM
head wax - 20 March 2013 08:00 PM

Hya

so what was the question???

smile

Congrats on being a Carrara owner.

Handy hint:: edit your preferences with regards to keyboard shortcuts.
specifically “views”

I have my numerical zero hooked up to “view selection” and the njumber three hooked up to “director’s camera”

Using the director’s camera is very handy, as i t doen’t get involved in your “edit undo list”

so eg when you lose something, select it in the instanced drop down list (that thing on the bottiom right, then hit “3”
and you will be looking through the director;s camera
then hit “zeero” and you will be zoomed in on that object

presto: no more lost objects ....

if the object is still lost it is either invisable or the hot point is not on the object,

All absolutely fantastic advice!
You rock Head Wax!

You can repostion the hot point easily also using the Caps Lock button. Which I found out by doing some text work. I left the Caps lock button on from entering text, then when I went to work. Suddenly the move manipulater was moving some little point, but not my objects. Took me a good 15 minutes to figure out what was going on by going through the manual on a key word. Would have been nice if there was a warning about that when working with text. But I did learn something new.

Posted: 25 March 2013 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
whispers65 - 25 March 2013 06:20 AM

I did a render overnight I know probably went 3-5 hours and it’s too dark and totally worthless lol.  So it’s a throw away at some point.  This was in Daz and not Carrara though.  I’m not sure I can duplicate in Carrara but may give it a try and see how it goes.

It uses Stone Mason’s Cryo Environment, Six Genesis characters and the supersuit.

The darkness is likely due to “Distant” lights - which are great for either outdoors, or if you exclude surrounding scene objects from their affect. “All Objects Except” toward the top of the light’s parameters. But for lighting interiors, I use spot lights. Others use bulbs, shape lights and anything glows lights, which all require a bit of practice. Spot lights have a crapload of features and a “Cone of Light” effect that I really use a lot.

One thing that takes getting used to in Carrara, is that none of the glowing textures enter Carrara glowing. You have to set it up in the texture room. So for Sci Fi products especially, If I think that some of those panels and buttons are supposed to glow, I’ll locate the textures folder for that product and look to se if they included separate maps for the glow channel. If not, then I just copy the color texture map into the glow channel and adjust the brightness of the image down if it’s too bright. For objects that have glow channels in them, I go to the “Effects” tab of the ‘model’ and activate “Aura” and put a check in Distance Attenuation, says it’s slower - but it’s necessary. I usually set the radius pretty low. The biggest problem with Aura, is that it stays the same size no matter how close the camera gets. A few times messing with it and you’ll just know what settings you want before you even open the window.

I can’t count how many times I’ve ended up wasting a night on dark animations - especially before I got used to Carrara. The more you get used to the different lights and setting up the shaders - which has to be done with every scene, the easier everything gets.

Aside from the dark, wasted render… (sorry for your loss, my friend…) how do you like Stonemason’s Cryo Environment? I haven’t got mine yet :(

Signature 

Posted: 25 March 2013 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-14
Dartanbeck - 25 March 2013 12:57 PM
whispers65 - 25 March 2013 06:20 AM

I did a render overnight I know probably went 3-5 hours and it’s too dark and totally worthless lol.  So it’s a throw away at some point.  This was in Daz and not Carrara though.  I’m not sure I can duplicate in Carrara but may give it a try and see how it goes.

The darkness is likely due to “Distant” lights - which are great for either outdoors, or if you exclude surrounding scene objects from their affect. “All Objects Except” toward the top of the light’s parameters. But for lighting interiors, I use spot lights. Others use bulbs, shape lights and anything glows lights, which all require a bit of practice. Spot lights have a crapload of features and a “Cone of Light” effect that I really use a lot.

One thing that takes getting used to in Carrara, is that none of the glowing textures enter Carrara glowing. You have to set it up in the texture room. So for Sci Fi products especially, If I think that some of those panels and buttons are supposed to glow, I’ll locate the textures folder for that product and look to se if they included separate maps for the glow channel. If not, then I just copy the color texture map into the glow channel and adjust the brightness of the image down if it’s too bright. For objects that have glow channels in them, I go to the “Effects” tab of the ‘model’ and activate “Aura” and put a check in Distance Attenuation, says it’s slower - but it’s necessary. I usually set the radius pretty low. The biggest problem with Aura, is that it stays the same size no matter how close the camera gets. A few times messing with it and you’ll just know what settings you want before you even open the window.

I can’t count how many times I’ve ended up wasting a night on dark animations - especially before I got used to Carrara. The more you get used to the different lights and setting up the shaders - which has to be done with every scene, the easier everything gets.

Aside from the dark, wasted render… (sorry for your loss, my friend…) how do you like Stonemason’s Cryo Environment? I haven’t got mine yet :(

I absolutely love it actually and the cryo chamber as well even tho I’m using it for cloning lol.  I’m a scifi nut at heart really altho I’m not sure why up until I’ve only done a few renders which were all lost.  I wish I had some of those back.  While not great I miss them.  I could try and recreate them though. That would be fun.

I would recommend the environment and chamber hands down, altho i will say I am partial to buildings and environments as a whole and to stone masons products in particular.

Which reminds me my project for tonight.  In daz I often put things together, group them, save as a scene and then merge later when I need it. I’m going to look to see what I can do Carrara wise on how to do that.

Posted: 25 March 2013 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6072
Joined  2006-08-27
whispers65 - 25 March 2013 02:11 PM

...Which reminds me my project for tonight.  In daz I often put things together, group them, save as a scene and then merge later when I need it. I’m going to look to see what I can do Carrara wise on how to do that.

You have a few options. If it’s a whole scene you want to save, you can open a new scene, choose Import from the File menu and import your other scene into the new scene. Be aware that it will also import any cameras and lights in that scene as well as any animations.

The other option would be if you just want to save a group of objects or figures you can select them, go to the Edit Menu and select Group. From there, you can open your Objects Browser, find an appropriate category or create your own directory (outside of Carrara, using your OS) and add it to the Browser and drag and drop the group into your chosen directory, a box will pop up asking you to name the file, then click OK to save.

Grouping is a great way to save a character that you’ve clothed. Select your figure and all the conforming clothes and use the steps above to group it. Then save the group to the Objects Browser. If you’ve made any changes to the shaders, or applied morphs, those will be saved as well.

I would disable any GI or caustics in the render room first, because Carrara will render a scene preview and will use your render settings. You can always re-enable them after the group is saved. You will find that Carrara will load Poser/DAZ Studio content much more quickly when it’s saved to the browser in Carrara’s native format.

Image Attachments
Picture_1.pngPicture_2.pngPicture_3.png
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 25 March 2013 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1060
Joined  2010-11-30

Since glows were mentioned for textures you may find this helps.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/47436/browse/3/PDF-Tutorial/Carrara-Users-Glow-Bodysuit-Setup

Not sure if you have the exact product used in the PDF, but the basic technique can be applied to other products.

Also since lighting got mentioned in a couple of posts, if you don’t have this book I both highly and strongly recommend you get a copy of Digital Lighting & Rendering, Second Edition, by Jeremy Birn.  This is the single best thing you can get to learn lighting.

Jeremy Brin’s web site is also worth checking out as he has an illustrated guide to 3D terms on it, and several other things

http://www.3drender.com/

The Lighting Challenges are still going on and you can download stuff from the newer ones that aren’t on Brin’s website and take part in the current one if you like.  You can use an 3D program you like in the challenges and the files for the challenges are posted in several different formats.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=185

Posted: 25 March 2013 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-14
evilproducer - 25 March 2013 03:01 PM
whispers65 - 25 March 2013 02:11 PM

...Which reminds me my project for tonight.  In daz I often put things together, group them, save as a scene and then merge later when I need it. I’m going to look to see what I can do Carrara wise on how to do that.

You have a few options. If it’s a whole scene you want to save, you can open a new scene, choose Import from the File menu and import your other scene into the new scene. Be aware that it will also import any cameras and lights in that scene as well as any animations.

The other option would be if you just want to save a group of objects or figures you can select them, go to the Edit Menu and select Group. From there, you can open your Objects Browser, find an appropriate category or create your own directory (outside of Carrara, using your OS) and add it to the Browser and drag and drop the group into your chosen directory, a box will pop up asking you to name the file, then click OK to save.

Grouping is a great way to save a character that you’ve clothed. Select your figure and all the conforming clothes and use the steps above to group it. Then save the group to the Objects Browser. If you’ve made any changes to the shaders, or applied morphs, those will be saved as well.

I would disable any GI or caustics in the render room first, because Carrara will render a scene preview and will use your render settings. You can always re-enable them after the group is saved. You will find that Carrara will load Poser/DAZ Studio content much more quickly when it’s saved to the browser in Carrara’s native format.

Thank you!  Usually what I do or at least what I’ve done in Studio, is create characters with hair, clothes, shaders, the whole nine yards and then save as a scene rather than creating from scratch.  Tonight I’m trying some of this stuff out and see how it goes.

Posted: 25 March 2013 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-14
Jay_NOLA - 25 March 2013 04:42 PM

Since glows were mentioned for textures you may find this helps.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/47436/browse/3/PDF-Tutorial/Carrara-Users-Glow-Bodysuit-Setup

Not sure if you have the exact product used in the PDF, but the basic technique can be applied to other products.

Also since lighting got mentioned in a couple of posts, if you don’t have this book I both highly and strongly recommend you get a copy of Digital Lighting & Rendering, Second Edition, by Jeremy Birn.  This is the single best thing you can get to learn lighting.

Jeremy Brim’s web site is also worth checking out as he has an illustrated guide to 3D terms on it, several other things

http://www.3drender.com/

The Lighting Challenges are still going on and you can download stuff from the newer ones that aren’t on Brim’s website and take part in the current one if you like.  You can use an 3D program you like in the challenges and the files for the challenges are posted in several different formats.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=185

Glad y’all mentioned glows because in the Cryo Environment and especially the Cryo Tubes there are lights that I stuck a point light on in Studio.  It didn’t turn out well.  Tonight I"ll try and see if I can get the Environment into Carrara and see how it is there.  I’m interested in the glow biz. Actually it sounds like it will be easier.  Thanks for the recommendation on the book.  I don’t think I have heard of that one before.

Posted: 25 March 2013 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Man, this thread Rocks!
Lot’s of great advice flying around for all kinds of stuff - which is perfect for a “Welcome, whispers65, to the wonderful world inside of Carrara!” thread. Carrara is so unlimited in what you can do and the ways in which those things can be done! Evil Producer, an absolute rockin’ Carraraist, sharing his expertise… great screens and awesome advice, as always. And Jay_Nola… Man I really have to get that lighting book. By the way, the books that Jay recommends are always highly rated tomes by very qualified authors, and I find them at Amazon for a song. I also want to free up some time and get into that lighting club. I love lighting stuff in Carrara.
AThorwald comes in with one, incredibly valuable yet amazingly elusive until you know it, function. I Caps Locks - change hot point location - Caps Lock all the time. It’s so helpful and I remember well the days before I knew that fine trick. Everybody coming in and sharing links, screenshots and text of helpful stuff.

whispers65, the way you describe what you used to do in Daz Studio is right on the mark for how I operate in Carrara. Most content that you bring into Carrara requires at least some shader work to get it up to speed with the Carrara environment. A task that becomes second-nature to some, but it’s such a powerful area of focus in Carrara, that you can always improve. Shaders can do a lot. Wait and see. Phil Wilkes is going to show you how to build an entire city scene using a single flat plane and displacement! Windows lit and everything!

Lights are amazing. Turn off the shadows of a distant light that is aimed upwards can create accent lighting with such a small amount of effort. It just requires the initial vision. SciFi and Fantasy are the realms in which I live - my poor wife is totally fine with it, too… even though sees more into thrilling mysteries with crime solving heroes solving their crimes with microscopes behind the scenes.

The Aura I’ve mentioned, along with using light cones from well placed spot lights are a great way to get great scifi interiors - debatable, of course. Sirius Labs and Radius, by 3DLust are built from the ground up using expert modeling techniques within Carrara. He makes full use of “Anything Glows” lights within those scenes. They take a bit of horsepower (which you seem to have) to render - because there’s a lot of pro highlights going on there. Just check out those promo images.
...and then an image of mine below, which is a screenshot of one of my chase scene animations.

Image Attachments
radius-large.jpgsirius-labs-large.jpgSciFiCitySilly.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 25 March 2013 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

In the image above - the chase scene, see the lit windows and street text signs. That’s ‘Aura’, which requires some glow in the shader to function. The visible light from headlights and such are light cones from spot lights.

Signature 

Posted: 25 March 2013 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-14
Dartanbeck - 25 March 2013 05:41 PM

Man, this thread Rocks!
Lot’s of great advice flying around for all kinds of stuff - which is perfect for a “Welcome, whispers65, to the wonderful world inside of Carrara!” thread. Carrara is so unlimited in what you can do and the ways in which those things can be done! Evil Producer, an absolute rockin’ Carraraist, sharing his expertise… great screens and awesome advice, as always. And Jay_Nola… Man I really have to get that lighting book. By the way, the books that Jay recommends are always highly rated tomes by very qualified authors, and I find them at Amazon for a song. I also want to free up some time and get into that lighting club. I love lighting stuff in Carrara.
AThorwald comes in with one, incredibly valuable yet amazingly elusive until you know it, function. I Caps Locks - change hot point location - Caps Lock all the time. It’s so helpful and I remember well the days before I knew that fine trick. Everybody coming in and sharing links, screenshots and text of helpful stuff.

whispers65, the way you describe what you used to do in Daz Studio is right on the mark for how I operate in Carrara. Most content that you bring into Carrara requires at least some shader work to get it up to speed with the Carrara environment. A task that becomes second-nature to some, but it’s such a powerful area of focus in Carrara, that you can always improve. Shaders can do a lot. Wait and see. Phil Wilkes is going to show you how to build an entire city scene using a single flat plane and displacement! Windows lit and everything!

Lights are amazing. Turn off the shadows of a distant light that is aimed upwards can create accent lighting with such a small amount of effort. It just requires the initial vision. SciFi and Fantasy are the realms in which I live - my poor wife is totally fine with it, too… even though sees more into thrilling mysteries with crime solving heroes solving their crimes with microscopes behind the scenes.

The Aura I’ve mentioned, along with using light cones from well placed spot lights are a great way to get great scifi interiors - debatable, of course. Sirius Labs and Radius, by 3DLust are built from the ground up using expert modeling techniques within Carrara. He makes full use of “Anything Glows” lights within those scenes. They take a bit of horsepower (which you seem to have) to render - because there’s a lot of pro highlights going on there. Just check out those promo images.
...and then an image of mine below, which is a screenshot of one of my chase scene animations.

Yes, this thread has helped me bunches and gives really great advice.  I was chicken to start it but I’m glad I did.

I looked at the pictures.  Now that is the kind of lighting I would love to do!  I did get the Cryo Environment and Tube into Carrara.  And since it doesn’t have lighting at this point.  It’ll give me a great place to start.

I’m going to nose through a couple of videos tonight.

Posted: 25 March 2013 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-06-14

Oh yeah, a pic I saw last night.  On Page 34 of the 2013 StoneMason Catalogue Contest, Redhorse had a picture called “In the Air Tonight” that was done in Carrara. 

It included a lot of different light affects such as headlights, taillights, neon signs, streetlamps, lighted windows, etc.

What really impressed me though was the sheer amount of people.  Must have been the low polys or something.  I’ve never seen so many in a single scene.

Really nice scene.  I liked it a lot.

3 of 7