Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Additional Sculpting Tools
Posted: 22 March 2013 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2004-08-24

Just for clarification,. i thought i’d post some quick pic’s to explain.

The Magnet “modelling tool” is different from the “magnet” in the assembly room, (which is more of an animation deformer / helper thing)

In the Vertex Modeller,. you can use the magnet to push and pull areas of the mesh.

The first example pic is a text object which is being bent using the magnet,.. simple,. bit it show the magnet tools and the Magnet “Gizmo” you see when you’re working with that tool.

In the second example,. I used a Vertex Grid (Plane) and then used the Magnet tool to sculpt the terrain shape,. I then used the Bridge tool to create a bridge, ( I also used the magnet to bend the bridge a little) and finally used some displacement painting to add more roughness to the side walls.
I also added a plane, with a watery shader in the assembly room, and a terrain shader to the mesh.

these are quick and simple examples, but I hope this explains the tool better, and perhaps sparks some creative thoughts.

Image Attachments
Magnet_modelling_tool.jpgmagnet_land1.jpg

Posted: 22 March 2013 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2003-10-09

I don’t know how you’d classify this program, but the results are certainly intriguing:

http://www.meshmixer.com/

Posted: 22 March 2013 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  325
Joined  2007-07-31

Here is a Link to video that compares strengths and weaknesses Hexagon / Z brush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC7kKWR6Nws

may help your decisions

Signature 

http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators#!home/mainPage

Posted: 23 March 2013 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1933
Joined  2008-01-28
3DAGE - 22 March 2013 09:19 AM

Just for clarification,. i thought i’d post some quick pic’s to explain.

The Magnet “modelling tool” is different from the “magnet” in the assembly room, (which is more of an animation deformer / helper thing)

In the Vertex Modeller,. you can use the magnet to push and pull areas of the mesh.

The first example pic is a text object which is being bent using the magnet,.. simple,. bit it show the magnet tools and the Magnet “Gizmo” you see when you’re working with that tool.

In the second example,. I used a Vertex Grid (Plane) and then used the Magnet tool to sculpt the terrain shape,. I then used the Bridge tool to create a bridge, ( I also used the magnet to bend the bridge a little) and finally used some displacement painting to add more roughness to the side walls.
I also added a plane, with a watery shader in the assembly room, and a terrain shader to the mesh.

these are quick and simple examples, but I hope this explains the tool better, and perhaps sparks some creative thoughts.

thanks for the ixplication Andy! nice job on the terrain!

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 23 March 2013 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1814
Joined  2004-08-24

Thanks HeadWax smile

it gets better with some more time, and some scale and shader adjustments,. plus a few plants

Image Attachments
magnet_land6.jpg

Posted: 23 March 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5927
Joined  2007-12-04
3DAGE - 23 March 2013 10:35 AM

Thanks HeadWax smile

it gets better with some more time, and some scale and shader adjustments,. plus a few plants

Very cool, indeed.
Very interesting, too. You see? Carrara has many surprises up the sleeve. And that newer gear tutorial was demonstrating the the VM also has it’s own modifiers and replicators, too. It would be fun to go through the modeler and document it.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 23 March 2013 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5927
Joined  2007-12-04
moogaloonie - 22 March 2013 08:04 PM

I don’t know how you’d classify this program, but the results are certainly intriguing:

http://www.meshmixer.com/

These Free Autodesk offerings look really fun for that kind of playing mode, and to just help to spark a 3d interest in people. The others,like this one, that I’ve seen so far have incredibly limited export options, making them fun while within, but fairly useless outside the given app. But still.. fun, nonetheless.

I’ll have to check out 007’s video: Hex vs Z-Brush. I could certainly see that being an unfair contest at first. But I can think of some situations where Hexagon could walk circles around Z-Brush if he right person was conducting the experiment. Like Roygee was saying earlier, a well designed topology with the entire mesh being made up of even quads is also an important thing in the CG world. But it is often at that stage where the profesional takes the mesh into Z. So…

It’s an interesting experiment, and I’m really glad that I’ve started this thread. It has opened up an investigation that I really don’t have enough time to truly dig deeply into - but has given me the resources to continue as time frees up. And then with all of these great posts from all of you, with your thoughts and the demo video to watch here and there… it’s really amazing how truly expanssive this field can be, while also remaining to be a fairly tight circle.

As I watch some of the videos regarding new and updated modelers, and the features they’ve added, and then come back and see the reports of others modeler tools within Carrara that are relatively unknown (by me), knowing that there are many other tools within the Carrara Vertex Modeler that many other modelers might not have, I’m not really seeing the huge “lacking of tools and features” that I was expecting by reading some of the gloomier reports about Carrara and its Modelers. Carrara even has a Metaball modeler! I’ve seen the Lynda.com video: Carrara 5 Essential Training with Jack Whitney and he covers the three modeler in an ‘essentials’ style look - which is rather complete for illustrating what’s there, and from that, I already knew that Carrara should be able to give me what “I” needed prior to my Carrara 6 Pro purchase. The simple models I have created in Carrara didn’t require any fancy algorithms or modifiers, etc., they were simple examples of straight-forward box modeling. Since I was going for los-res models, I even left some of my quads more elongated than they should be, a decision I made at the point that I made my first set of elongated quads. Point being, I surely didn’t have to.

All of the times I’ve gone in and built a vertex model within Carrara have gone exactly as I would expect - granted, simple models here. My 3d mentor tossed a book on the desk and said: “Make a head today. The book was some 3d animation bible, from what I remember. It had a sort of step by step illustrated guide for building a 3d Human, starting with the head, using the extrusion method. I was a bit nervous, but by the time he returned at the end of the day, my bust was fairly complete except I had not yet made eyeballs or the inner mouth and teeth and such. Sure I took too long if I were just modeling on my own, but I was reading a book, following his lead, going back and re-reading…

These are the same principals I model with today. It’s amazing how much detail you can get down to without ever entering a sculpt-mode. Sculpting software, however, has added something that production houses love - speed. The rest of the world loves the natural look and feel you can add while sculpting - the idea of using Normal Maps, etc.,
Looking further and further into this topic as well as the things going on like NVil, suggested by Roygee, and the huge steps of progresion being made on Blender will be an excellent templete for adding ideas to the minds of the developers for future Carrara features. But for right now, especially since I haven’t enough time to experiment with trial demos and such, I’ll not be buying anything, and just exploring deeper into my own abilities within my favorite 3d app in the whole world - Carrara Pro.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

2 of 2