Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
SIGGRAPH
Posted: 20 March 2013 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1385
Joined  2011-01-03

Have any fellow Carraraists ever attended the SIGGRAPH conference? I’d be curious to hear about your experience.

I’m contemplating some vacation time and am wondering if I should zip over to Anaheim, California in July to check this out…

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 20 March 2013 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6088
Joined  2007-12-04

I’ve never gone, myself, but from seeing posted images and all the stuff that goes on there, I’d start planning, and just go. You’ll love it - it’s a way of life. The white zone is for loading and unloading only.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 20 March 2013 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2005-04-28

I have gone and I’m glad I did…  Wandering through the vendor area’s was a joy.  I got to peek at a lot of stuff that was going to be coming out and listen to the reps for different companies talk about what they were doing.  Sadly, I haven’t had a chance to go back. 

Boojum the borwn bunny

Posted: 20 March 2013 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2005-12-30

I Have been several times everybody who’s anybody in 3D animation etc is there try to get there early the first day of the exhibition you can register at siggraph.org free for exhibits only if you have a vendor code from someone you have purchased software or hardware from. All the cutting edge stuff is exhibited . Lots of presentations etc I have seen DAZ there in the past . Well worth the time I have spent there . Hope you make it an enjoy

Posted: 20 March 2013 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-02-05
Dartanbeck - 20 March 2013 02:09 PM

I’ve never gone, myself, but from seeing posted images and all the stuff that goes on there, I’d start planning, and just go. You’ll love it - it’s a way of life. The white zone is for loading and unloading only.

I spy a Zappa fan.

Posted: 20 March 2013 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03

Thanks for the feedback gang! I’ve been nudged a bit closer toward registering and going… LOL  It’s a bit pricey for the whole shooting match; but I think that I can swing it. It’d be worth it if DAZ puts up a booth—I’d love to chat with those guys.

I’ve never really been to California either (unless you count the link in LAX when I was 5 years old and headed to Canada…).

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 21 March 2013 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

Hi Garstor smile

My only experience of Anaheim was as an exhibitor, so,. not as much fun,.
E3 was better, and more fun,. but that’s a different venue.

Posted: 21 March 2013 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  385
Joined  2004-11-12

I’ve never been, but my son has been to the last three (and will probably be at this one), and he loves it!! He really enjoys the technical sessions as well as the vendor show. From everything he has told me, just be sure to wear a bib, so you don’t drool on everything. Oh, be prepared for information overload as well.

Signature 

My Rendo Gallery

Posted: 21 March 2013 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Garstor - 20 March 2013 05:28 PM

Thanks for the feedback gang! I’ve been nudged a bit closer toward registering and going… LOL  It’s a bit pricey for the whole shooting match; but I think that I can swing it. It’d be worth it if DAZ puts up a booth—I’d love to chat with those guys.

I’ve never really been to California either (unless you count the link in LAX when I was 5 years old and headed to Canada…).

I bet Daz will be there.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 22 March 2013 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Dartanbeck - 21 March 2013 11:24 PM

I bet Daz will be there.

That would be nice.

Now…do I spend the entire week there or just a few days?

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 22 March 2013 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Garstor - 22 March 2013 04:58 AM

You’ll have to check the itinerary and decide that for yourself. Why not see if there’s an Anaheim Supercross race while you’re in town. That would give you some good animation ideas for dirtbike chases! wink

Maybe PM Spooky and see if Daz3d will be there - if that would help your decision. But I think that they were going to attend one year, and had to back out and offered the booth to the PAs. I know a few, like Dimension Theory, perhaps 3dage and others… FeralFey, maybe(?) showed up and put on a great demonstration. Oh, Emperor Ken (Ken Guilliland), the Songbird Remix fella, might have been one of them…?
It might have not even been SIGGRAPH… Oh well. Use the force… let it guide your way! smirk

Signature 

Posted: 22 March 2013 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15571
Joined  2003-10-09

That was last year, and DAZ 3D did have a lot on their plate at the time. rolleyes      They have been at previous ones.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 22 March 2013 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03

...there is always NewTek and LightWave if DAZ doesn’t show… cool grin

I’d better fire up the calculator and start putting the costs together. One cool thing with my new company ownership—we’re allowed to use the company travel portal for booking personal trips. That should hopefully score me some airline discounts.

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 22 March 2013 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Make sure you include enough to get me and EP some presents. You can’t go away on a fun trip like that without buying us presents! shock

Signature 

Posted: 22 March 2013 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Dartanbeck - 22 March 2013 08:51 AM

Make sure you include enough to get me and EP some presents. You can’t go away on a fun trip like that without buying us presents! shock

Of course! It would be rude not to! smile

I wonder what kind of swag the vendors give out…Microsoft shows were usually totally awesome that way…

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 22 March 2013 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15571
Joined  2003-10-09
Dartanbeck - 22 March 2013 07:52 AM
Garstor - 22 March 2013 04:58 AM

You’ll have to check the itinerary and decide that for yourself. Why not see if there’s an Anaheim Supercross race while you’re in town. That would give you some good animation ideas for dirtbike chases! wink

Maybe PM Spooky and see if Daz3d will be there - if that would help your decision. But I think that they were going to attend one year, and had to back out and offered the booth to the PAs. I know a few, like Dimension Theory, perhaps 3dage and others… FeralFey, maybe(?) showed up and put on a great demonstration. Oh, Emperor Ken (Ken Guilliland), the Songbird Remix fella, might have been one of them…?
It might have not even been SIGGRAPH… Oh well. Use the force… let it guide your way! smirk

Just found a link to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8uB5h91v7w&feature=youtu.be

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

1 of 2