Posted: 18 June 2012 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  14272
Joined  2003-10-09
Takeo.Kensei - 18 June 2012 12:56 PM

Hi everybody

Did everyone test the new Duf Format?
I must say I’m not very happy with it for the moment.
- First it’s slower than the old DAZ Format for reading and writing scenes
- Second point is that it is not always “lightweight”. I loaded a few scenes I made with DS4 and saved them back and the new files are way larger than the old ones (about twice)
Did some test and here’s what I found out :
1°/ loaded Genesis and some V4 hair. Used CCT to conform the Hair to Genesis then saved. File size ~ 17 Mb
2°/ Saved the Hair as an asset in my Library then saved the scene again => File size is 76 Ko

So if I’m right one has to save all the V4 Stuff again in Duf format to benefit from the lightweight

Is it the same for all you guys?

[Edit] Only 64 bit version is slow on reading and writing. 32 bit is OK

Yes, the .duf file is lightweight if there are assets it can refer to. That means .dsf files for native content, or Poser files for non-native content. It can even store the original content and the conversion settings for AutoFitted clothing. But if you rig something with the Content Creation Tools the rigging information (geometry, joints, morphs and weight maps) have to be somewhere - if they aren’t saved out as dsf files then they have to be embedded in the .duf file.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 18 June 2012 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1541
Joined  2010-02-14

Hi everybody

- Second point is that it is not always “lightweight”. I loaded a few scenes I made with DS4 and saved them back and the new files are way larger than the old ones (about twice)
1°/ loaded Genesis and some V4 hair. Used CCT to conform the Hair to Genesis then saved. File size ~ 17 Mb
2°/ Saved the Hair as an asset in my Library then saved the scene again => File size is 76 Ko

So if I’m right one has to save all the V4 Stuff again in Duf format to benefit from the lightweight

The worst I’m getting is that I try to save my older Scene files as .duf’s the program crashes, pretty much telling me that I may very well have to recreate everything all over again… downer

And as for the files that I created and saved in the .duf file type they take quite a while to load when I open them…

Signature 

“I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!” ~ Brextor Ultimus

FORUM MEMBER POST RANKS
New Member = 0
Member = 25
Active Member = 250
Power Member = 1000
Addict = 2500

My Art Studio

Posted: 18 June 2012 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2006-01-06

Don’t feel bad..  I am loading one of the new duf files and its taking 10 minutes to make any changes as simple as making something visible or not.  Goes straight to ( not Responding )  the minute I click something. And yes I am running a 4-4 64bit system

Posted: 18 June 2012 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1541
Joined  2010-02-14
Noshoba - 18 June 2012 09:41 PM

Don’t feel bad..  I am loading one of the new duf files and its taking 10 minutes to make any changes as simple as making something visible or not.  Goes straight to ( not Responding )  the minute I click something. And yes I am running a 4-4 64bit system

8 GB, 64 bit here. My laptop is a customized gaming/3D development build, too… downer

Signature 

“I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am!” ~ Brextor Ultimus

FORUM MEMBER POST RANKS
New Member = 0
Member = 25
Active Member = 250
Power Member = 1000
Addict = 2500

My Art Studio

Posted: 18 June 2012 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-01-06

crashed on the resave >,<

Posted: 19 June 2012 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1371
Joined  2008-01-01

How long will this RC last and what is the download file size?

I ask because I’d like to test, but not if it’s going to waste a huge chunk of my limited bandwidth allowance.  The last version 4.0.3.47 was almost 1Gig, most of which was of no use to me.

Posted: 19 June 2012 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  757
Joined  2012-02-12
Richard Haseltine - 18 June 2012 04:02 PM

Hi everybody

Yes, the .duf file is lightweight if there are assets it can refer to. That means .dsf files for native content, or Poser files for non-native content. It can even store the original content and the conversion settings for AutoFitted clothing. But if you rig something with the Content Creation Tools the rigging information (geometry, joints, morphs and weight maps) have to be somewhere - if they aren’t saved out as dsf files then they have to be embedded in the .duf file.

Thanks Richard. Do you have also the 64 bit version beeing very slow?

Signature 

My Deviant Art

Posted: 19 June 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Takeo.Kensei - 19 June 2012 10:44 AM

Thanks Richard. Do you have also the 64 bit version beeing very slow?

I haven’t had much time to play, but in as far as I have I haven’t noticed a big difference. Note that although the bare Poser assets are enough for a .duf scene to open correctly, converted assets are created and saved so it’s possible that if you save a scene from the 64 bit version of DS and then from the 32 bit version the latter will be quicker as it has less to do - but I’m not certain that that is the case, even if it matches what you did.

Signature 

Posted: 19 June 2012 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2006-08-09

I’m just learning at the moment and upgrading to this has really set me back.  The main thing I’m playing with at the moment is head morphs - so, imported the same way as before and couldn’t find it anywhere in the head parameters.  Found from an earlier post it’s no longer in the parameters for the head, but in the ones for the figure itself - and guess what? It’s stopped working! Has no effect at all!  Actually, I’ve just realised and tested - my morphs didn’t even load with the advanced loader, only with the pro.

Plus, what is with trying to cancel a render? I cancelled a render after 3 minutes and it didn’t close off until 3min 10 secs later, virtually locking the computer up in the mean time.  Thought it was a fluke, but no - takes ages every time.

I’m beginning to wish I had waited too :-(

Posted: 19 June 2012 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Cancelling a render has to wait on 3Delight - if a single bucket is taking ages to render then so will the cancellation. If this is a frequent issue it may be worth lowering the bucket size - but there’s a slight speed penalty for doing so.

Signature 

Posted: 20 June 2012 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2012-02-28

Hello,

I’m experiencing some problems with the .duf saves. If I dial some morphs in a character, save it and reopen it, everything is fine. However, if after reopening I set any of those morphs back to default (zero), save and reopen, the zeroing will be ignored, meaning, the dials are back to where I’ve set them before. Apparently, after a dial has been changed, the .duf file won’t save it if its reverted to zero, I have always to use a value of 0.001 or similar to get it to save the value.

I’m using RC1 here, has this been fixed in RC2?

Posted: 22 June 2012 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  242
Joined  2003-10-09

Enjoying RC1 32-bit so far. Faster renders, faster loads and saves.

A couple of things though…
1) Sometimes I will open a DS4 file I made with DS4Pro 4.0 and the maps are totally messed up. Reapplying maps helps but might there be a workaround? Maybe I’ll check next time to see what mapping coordinates it’s using.
2) I’d love to use Gen X, but it doesn’t show up in my Tabs list. I’ve reinstalled more than once and it doesn’t work. Might anyone offer a clue for this clueless user?

I’m downloading RC2 now so maybe there will be a fix for the above two issues. Here’s hoping I don’t pick up a bunch more.  wink

Thanks!

Posted: 22 June 2012 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-01-06
SmallFry - 22 June 2012 06:17 PM

1) Sometimes I will open a DS4 file I made with DS4Pro 4.0 and the maps are totally messed up. Reapplying maps helps but might there be a workaround? Maybe I’ll check next time to see what mapping coordinates it’s using.
2) I’d love to use Gen X, but it doesn’t show up in my Tabs list. I’ve reinstalled more than once and it doesn’t work. Might anyone offer a clue for this clueless user?

I’m downloading RC2 now so maybe there will be a fix for the above two issues. Here’s hoping I don’t pick up a bunch more.  wink

Thanks!

I asked the same question and it has not been upgraded to work with this RC

Posted: 22 June 2012 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  242
Joined  2003-10-09
Noshoba - 22 June 2012 06:35 PM
SmallFry - 22 June 2012 06:17 PM

Thanks!

I asked the same question and it has not been upgraded to work with this RC

Thanks, Noshoba. That’s a bummer, that is. I have all sorts of morphs I’d like to bring over, but since 4.5 wiped out my 4.0 install I guess I have to wait.

Posted: 23 June 2012 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-09-05

Is there any troubles in RC2 when using LOD for M4\V4 like in RC1?

6 of 11