Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Prometheus and M5
Posted: 10 June 2012 09:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2003-10-09

Has anyone seen the movie Prometheus? ... There is a giant humanoid character that they discover on the alien site on the planet. As soon as I saw him, I thought he looked just like M5. Anyone else seen this ?

Posted: 10 June 2012 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7976
Joined  2004-07-21

Is this a movie in the theaters currently?

Signature 

Hello, Sweetie!
click me to save my dragon eggs

Who is cuter Loki or Thor?

Play Runescape

Posted: 10 June 2012 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

Here in Australia it is.

Posted: 10 June 2012 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7976
Joined  2004-07-21

I checked and it is here too, but I have not seen it yet.

Signature 

Hello, Sweetie!
click me to save my dragon eggs

Who is cuter Loki or Thor?

Play Runescape

Posted: 11 June 2012 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2009-04-14
mathman - 10 June 2012 09:16 PM

Has anyone seen the movie Prometheus? ... There is a giant humanoid character that they discover on the alien site on the planet. As soon as I saw him, I thought he looked just like M5. Anyone else seen this ?

The revealed alien “Engineers” from “Prometheus” are very striking, but I doubt M5 was involved in their creation, if that’s what you’re asking. And don’t watch the movie thinking you’re going to see a faithful prequel to the “Alien” franchise—what you’re going to get is more a revisioning or a reboot that borrows heavily from the original without being confined by it. Aside from the visuals, I didn’t care for it at all…

Posted: 11 June 2012 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

I loved some aspects of the movie, e.g. the special effects and the overall idea behind the movie. The plot seemed very cluttered, though, with some threads of it going nowhere. In particular, Charlize Theron’s character seemed completely unnecessary.

Re the M5-look-alike creature, I didn’t necessarily suggest that it was actually based on M5, however I was struck by its superficial resemblance.

I think I’ll go and see it again, if for no other reason I was blown away by the special effects. Besides, I missed the first 10 minutes.

Posted: 11 June 2012 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  978
Joined  2003-10-09

his face looked more M4 to me

Posted: 11 June 2012 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2007-01-29
Sarsifus - 11 June 2012 12:19 AM

The revealed alien “Engineers” from “Prometheus” are very striking, but I doubt M5 was involved in their creation, if that’s what you’re asking. And don’t watch the movie thinking you’re going to see a faithful prequel to the “Alien” franchise—what you’re going to get is more a revisioning or a reboot that borrows heavily from the original without being confined by it. Aside from the visuals, I didn’t care for it at all…

I saw it and was blown away. I found it extremely faithful and satisfying as a prequel. You do remember Ridley Scott saying that it’s not a direct prequel, but only set IN THE SAME UNIVERSE. He’s wanting to start a new saga that ties into the Alien universe mythos without merging with the Alien movie franchise.

Posted: 11 June 2012 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-07-08

Engineers where described in the books and shown in comics over 15 - 20+ years ago, back when M1 was still a dream.

Its actually quite faithful to the IP, and its long been known, most of what that movie entailed where in books and official Dark Horse cannon.  Oddly enough, Prometheus is almost plagerised from an old Aliens: Colonial Marines novel seires (Can’t remember the name), a colonial marine sargent and a scientist battle an engineer throughout three or so novels trying to keep a disaster (Same as in the movie) from reaching earth.

Posted: 11 June 2012 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22
WarMachineX0 - 11 June 2012 09:42 AM

Engineers where described in the books and shown in comics over 15 - 20+ years ago, back when M1 was still a dream.

Its actually quite faithful to the IP, and its long been known, most of what that movie entailed where in books and official Dark Horse cannon.  Oddly enough, Prometheus is almost plagerised from an old Aliens: Colonial Marines novel seires (Can’t remember the name), a colonial marine sargent and a scientist battle an engineer throughout three or so novels trying to keep a disaster (Same as in the movie) from reaching earth.

Ahh… I thought the idea sounded very familer to me. Now I just might have to see how well it was done.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 11 June 2012 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2009-04-14
j87brown - 11 June 2012 09:32 AM

I saw it and was blown away. I found it extremely faithful and satisfying as a prequel. You do remember Ridley Scott saying that it’s not a direct prequel, but only set IN THE SAME UNIVERSE. He’s wanting to start a new saga that ties into the Alien universe mythos without merging with the Alien movie franchise.

There were two ways to go with this: either a straight-up prequel, or a total reboot. As a prequel, I’m calling it a failure; as a reboot, I’m calling it interesting but unsatisfying. The story was originally supposed to be a faithful prequel—and then they handed the script off to another writer who took a hatchet to it on the premise that “we already know how this story ends, and knowing how the story ends is boring”. You’ve got the moon around the ringed gas giant; you’ve got the Space Jockeys and their ship; you’ve got the supersized facehugger wannabe; and the proto-queen chest-burster; and you’ve even got the original Weyland—and yet, this is NOT supposed to lead us into the original 1979 “Alien” movie. Prequel fail.

Posted: 11 June 2012 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  215
Joined  2005-11-06

I loved the movie - I didn’t think the alien looked anything like M5 or any daz character, but it would be fun to have one to render with the extreme sss they used smile
People get so serious about these movies and instead of just enjoying it, they feel the need to tear it apart. Whatever - I thought it was cool and I can’t wait to buy it on Bluray in 3D smile

Signature 

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

My DAZ3D Store

My Personal Website

Posted: 11 June 2012 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-10-09

“People get so serious about these movies and instead of just enjoying it, they feel the need to tear it apart.”
Disagree totally. Films with any depth will make people think, and as a result of that people enjoy analyzing it.

Posted: 11 June 2012 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

I collect all things Alien, even those Predator Vs Alien cross overs. I will have to add it to my Movie collection.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 11 June 2012 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  215
Joined  2005-11-06
mathman - 11 June 2012 03:50 PM

“People get so serious about these movies and instead of just enjoying it, they feel the need to tear it apart.”
Disagree totally. Films with any depth will make people think, and as a result of that people enjoy analyzing it.

Well, it may be fun for some to ‘analyze’ the movies, but for me it’s just fun to experience it - to each their own. smile

Signature 

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

My DAZ3D Store

My Personal Website

Posted: 11 June 2012 06:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  206
Joined  2003-11-27

Seen the movie 4 hrs ago - the most stupid part of aliens. Parts 1 to 4 were really good. But this one makes me think that screenplay writers now are taken from elementary school to save big on scenarios.

Signature 

Asus P9X79 WS, i7-3930K@4250mHz, Zotac gtx 580 amp2! 3gb + Zotac gtx 580 3gb + PoV gtx 580 3gb, 32 gb 4-ch Geil, 1350 wt Thermaltake, system/soft 240 gb sata III ssd, temp/swap 128 gb sata III ssd, 2 tb sata III hdd, AeroCool Strike-X ST.

1 of 2