Digital Art Zone

4 of 4
Where are the Gen 5’s?
Posted: 21 March 2013 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2006-03-31
ManStan - 21 March 2013 06:48 AM

staticdrifter that is because DAZ has 5-6 different type EXEs out, that want to install to 4 different places One of the bonuses to installing to a dummy folder before drag and dropping to the “my library” folder is avoiding imbedded runtime/content folders.
It’s been my experience when installing older content; like before the content folder went to my library, if it can’t find a content folder to install to it will create one.

Yeah, that’s what I was trying to get across, but I wasn’t being clear, I guess. Thanks for bringing it up concisely.
I have been doing it individually, like you do, for a while, but I wanted to give DIM a try. I always give the ‘new kid’ a try. Then I was trying to point out the good points and bad, in comparison. I am with you in sentiment, I just try to go with the new ‘innovations’ because, all told, I have much less content to deal with than you do, so I keep hoping DAZ will make something that will manage my stuff without screwing it up. (I’m a ‘vote for the underdog’ guy).

I just hope that when they do get the bugs worked out of the system, they consider working with more than just DAZ content, because, as I am sure you well know, that while they may be the source of a majority of excellent works, there is a much, much larger percentage of upgrades and improvements than there are originals.

Fight the good fight!

Signature 

Forget world peace…
    visualize using your turn signal!

Posted: 21 March 2013 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2006-03-31
3DAGE - 21 March 2013 07:40 AM

ultimately it makes no difference when using the product, whether it’s located in clothing / aiko3, or in aiko3 /clothing,. as long as the structure of the installed files,.. retains the structure of original product,. then the product will work as the developer intended.

I understand that the product ultimately works, but if you can’t find it, or if you lose track of why you desire it while your trying to locate it, then penultimately, it degrades the use and value of the product.

And in “Art”, that is not a good thing.

That’s what I have been trying to get across about this. The product works, but it does not work well. Not that the product can’t be used, but that it is a nuisance to use. Sometimes.

Signature 

Forget world peace…
    visualize using your turn signal!

Posted: 21 March 2013 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6469
Joined  2007-12-04
3DAGE - 21 March 2013 07:40 AM

ultimately it makes no difference when using the product, whether it’s located in clothing / aiko3, or in aiko3 /clothing,. as long as the structure of the installed files,.. retains the structure of original product,. then the product will work as the developer intended.

Unless you get the dreaded: “Please locate this file: “V7ockIsdEad.jpg” and you have to try and dig through that? I thought they just rebuilt all this stuff? Sorry. Not trying to be nasty. But it makes for a slop archive, and those of us who like to further edit textures and so fourth shouldn’t have this to deal with. It’s crazy - and it all comes from the same store.
There. I’m done griping smile

Your right though, 3dage. When I freaked about the folders and such, it still has it’s place in the file system and works properly. Now I just have to learn where to go for the stuff, since 8.5 shows all of those folders.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

4 of 4