Digital Art Zone

Need Posemaster Transfer advice please [SOLVED]
Posted: 13 March 2013 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2720
Joined  2012-02-04

I am running Posemaster 1.5 in DS 4.5.1.56 on Windows 7. I have done a lot of pose copy and paste, but not much pose transfer until today. I am trying to transfer poses from V4.2 to Genesis Basic Female. The tool is working, but I don’t seem to be getting results that are as good as the results shown in the user guide. I realize it won’t be perfect, but in particular, the head, hands and feet seem to be quite far off. So either I am doing something wrong, or this is as good as it can do, and I have to fix the rest manually. Any suggestions?

Image Attachments
1_V4_Genesis_zero_pose.JPG2_V4_pose_to_Genesis.JPG3_V4_pose_to_Genesis_2.JPG
 Signature 

New member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 14 March 2013 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2011-08-27

Since no one has responded, I’ll offer my two pennies worth. Lately, I’ve been transferring my collection of freebie poses to Genesis.

The problem is caused by Genesis Basic Female having a skeleton that’s not an exact match to V4’s. As you can see in the your top picture, GBF’s arms are a little too short, and the hips and shoulders are a little too broad. These small differences can have a big effect on driving and couples poses where everyone’s arms and legs really do have to be in the right places.

You can’t get it perfect without tweaking, but three things will help:
1) Click the “Scaling” box. This will adjust the pose so that the target’s scaling better matches the source. This will also have the effect of GBF looking a bit more like V4.
2) Start by selecting both figures and clicking Edit > Figure > Zero > Zero Figure Pose. When you do, you’ll notice that V4’s feet point down by 20°. That’s her real “zero pose.” I’ve noticed that this sometimes solves the problem of weird foot angles.
3) When posing Genesis, try posing with the body dialed to the V4 or M4 shape. If the character’s body is partially hidden in a car or a cockpit, you can often get away with this. For couples poses, you’re out of luck.

I hope this helps.

Posted: 14 March 2013 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-04

Thanks for trying to help. I tried all three suggestions in this pose, but it looks pretty much like it did before. Genesis is gray in this picture. This Genesis is not Basic Female; it is the gender neutral Genesis with the Victoria 4 shape dial set all the way on to 1.00.

Edited to add the picture.

Image Attachments
Posemaster_transfer.JPG
 Signature 

Posted: 14 March 2013 02:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  262
Joined  2012-02-21

Didn’t try it until now, but maybe this could be helpful:

http://www.daz3d.com/posemaster-people-pack

Posted: 14 March 2013 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-12-07

Hi Barbult

I’m sorry you’re having trouble with the poses. If you could share which set it is, I could take a look. As you have already noted, you won’t get a perfect match but usually you should get quite a close match. However, the degree of success depends on the specific pose being transferred. From your screenshots, it looks like your settings are right, so it might be you’ve run into a few difficult poses. The convention is to translate the figure not the hip, but some artists don’t do this and it can affect the results, especially if the hip is also rotated.

In general, poses with more hip rotation/translation will be more difficult for Genesis to exactly match V4’s position, such as the driving pose you’ve shown. The reason is that Genesis and V4 have different origins (in addition to different skeletons) and while PoseMaster changes the target figure’s origin during the transfer, hip translation (due to rotation) cannot be fully eliminated. The best way around this problem is to slightly reposition Genesis after the transfer (if needed). You should not notice this effect transferring poses with little hip rotation/translation.

Where you will really see the difference, is poses that have a hand or foot positioned very precisely e.g. on a hip or touching the nose. Transferring such poses usually requires slightly tweaking the arm/leg to get the hand/foot into the right position. This is no different than applying a default V4 hand-on-hip pose to a voluptuous morph only to find the hand inside the hip.

I’ve tried a quick transfer of a V3 pose (from the DAZ ATV 4x4) to V4 and Genesis - see results below. It looks a little better than the pose you’ve been trying to use. I’d be happy to look at a few example and try to help out if you’d like. Just let me know which set they’re from so I can try on my PC.

Oh and the People Pack won’t solve the problem you have above, unless those are poses from a non-gen 4 figure. People Pack provides transfer files for all the other generations of DAZ people.

Take care

Image Attachments
Picture1.png
 Signature 

PoseMaster for DAZ Studio and PoseMaster People Pack now sold at Rendo.

Posted: 14 March 2013 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-04

Cridgit, thanks for your reply and explanations. The driving pose is JeepDriverV4.pz2 from product WWII Jeep http://www.daz3d.com/wwii-jeep . I looked at the pose (see attached picture) and the V4 character is not translated or rotated, but the hip is both translated and rotated on all axes. Also, when I load the pose the first time it asks me whether I want to ignore limits. I seem to get similar results whether I ignore limits or not, as far as the Genesis match goes.

The dancing pose is rhground 03V4_M.pz2 from product Remembering How to Fly Poses http://www.daz3d.com/remembering-how-to-fly-poses . It also has no transforms on V4 itself, but has yTranslate and xRotate on the hip. (see attached picture)

When I try to tweak the transferred Genesis poses, do you have any suggestions on how to begin? Should I start by moving Genesis or moving the Genesis hip? Should I start by trying to align any particular part first? Are arms and legs best matched by adjusting collars, shoulders, or forearms, etc.? Or is it all different depending on the pose?

By the way, I have found Posemaster copy and paste wonderful for remembering and restoring poses. the other day I had put a jeep in my picture and moved it, rotated it, etc. Later I wanted to add a driver. Trying to pose a driver and then move it into position in the jeep was too hard. Instead, I copied my jeep pose with Posemaster and reset all the jeep transforms to 0. With the jeep at the origin, posing the M4 driver in the jeep was just a matter of clicking on the pose. Then I parented the driver to the jeep and used Posemaster to paste the saved jeep position. That worked great.

I have also had good success copying and pasting partial poses by the pose-copy-undo-select body part-paste technique.

Image Attachments
JeepDriverV4_hip.jpgrhground_03V4_M_hip.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 14 March 2013 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13

You know, without V4 in the scene, at least the dance pose, you really wouldn’t be able to tell that it’s not ‘on’...there’s no major distortions, the body parts are pretty much where they are supposed to be (relatively speaking),

The driving pose…well that’s supposed to be for a specific vehicle, so that will need manual adjusting…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 14 March 2013 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-04
mjc1016 - 14 March 2013 12:12 PM

You know, without V4 in the scene, at least the dance pose, you really wouldn’t be able to tell that it’s not ‘on’...there’s no major distortions, the body parts are pretty much where they are supposed to be (relatively speaking),

The driving pose…well that’s supposed to be for a specific vehicle, so that will need manual adjusting…

I agree. I’m certainly not trying to bash this product at all. I like it a lot. I was just trying to be sure I wasn’t using it wrong, and I’m trying to learn how to get the most out of it.

Signature 

Posted: 14 March 2013 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13
barbult - 14 March 2013 12:22 PM
mjc1016 - 14 March 2013 12:12 PM

I agree. I’m certainly not trying to bash this product at all. I like it a lot. I was just trying to be sure I wasn’t using it wrong, and I’m trying to learn how to get the most out of it.

Like all translation programs…it’s going to get you most of the way there, most of the time.  Sometimes, even all the way…but this looks like one of the times it’s only going to go part of the way.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 14 March 2013 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-12-07
barbult - 14 March 2013 12:06 PM

By the way, I have found Posemaster copy and paste wonderful for remembering and restoring poses. the other day I had put a jeep in my picture and moved it, rotated it, etc. Later I wanted to add a driver. Trying to pose a driver and then move it into position in the jeep was too hard. Instead, I copied my jeep pose with Posemaster and reset all the jeep transforms to 0. With the jeep at the origin, posing the M4 driver in the jeep was just a matter of clicking on the pose. Then I parented the driver to the jeep and used Posemaster to paste the saved jeep position. That worked great.

I have also had good success copying and pasting partial poses by the pose-copy-undo-select body part-paste technique.

Yay! That’s what it was originally written for and is enormously useful, but I think most people nowadays use the product only for transferring poses.

When I try to tweak the transferred Genesis poses, do you have any suggestions on how to begin? Should I start by moving Genesis or moving the Genesis hip? Should I start by trying to align any particular part first? Are arms and legs best matched by adjusting collars, shoulders, or forearms, etc.? Or is it all different depending on the pose?

Let’s discuss the two examples - that should get you going.

For the driving pose, the two things that need tweaking are Genesis’ whole torso is bent a little too far forward, and the feet are a little too far back. I’d select Abdomen1 and in the parameters pane adjust the X Rotation by about +3 to +5. That should get the whole torso in line including the head. You might find after that the hands are a little too far down, so I’d bend both shoulders +1 or +2. To get the feet in position, I’d bend both shins around +8 or so.

For the dancing pose, I’d bend both shoulders +4 or so, and it looks from this angle you might need to move the left should back a couple of steps to get the left hand in place. You’d need to check from another angle. Twisting Abdomen1 or Abdomen2 would perfectly align the torso, but will throw both arms out, so I’d leave the torso be and only adjust the arms. For the legs, the rotation looks right but I’d probably twist the things in about 2 steps to get the feet aligned.

That should do it grin

Signature 

Posted: 14 March 2013 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-12-07

Also, when I load the pose the first time it asks me whether I want to ignore limits. I seem to get similar results whether I ignore limits or not, as far as the Genesis match goes.

PoseMaster disables limits by default during pose transfer. You can disable this by changing AutoLimitsOff to no in the PoseMaster settings file (My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Scripts\cridgit\PoseMaster\PoseMasterSettings.DAT).

Signature 

Posted: 15 March 2013 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-04

Thank you, cridgit, for the advice. I got my Genesis Jeep Driver tweaked to my satisfaction. I can see that I’ll need to practice some to get a feeling about how the various bend, twist, and side to side adjustments affect the position of the bones. Here are the results.

Image Attachments
V4_Jeep_Driver.JPGGenesis_BF_Jeep_Driver.JPGJeep_Drivers.JPG
 Signature 

Posted: 15 March 2013 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-12-07

That’s a 99.9% match if you ask me. PoseMaster did the easy 90% and you did the hard 9.9% wink

Cheers

Signature