Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
Transferring or Copying UV. Mapping
Posted: 13 March 2013 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2011-05-02

Hi Hexagoners

I was wondering what methods are used for transferring or copying a uv. map from one object to multiple other objects obviously with the same mesh type?
thanks.

Posted: 13 March 2013 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1288
Joined  2008-01-01

Not too sure what the question is - if you UV map a mesh then make multiple copies, each will have the same UV map.

Posted: 13 March 2013 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-02

Not possible in this case Roygee, the mesh “copies” have been generated, they have no uv mapping, I wish to uv map one and then transfer it to all the others 900 to be precise smile

Posted: 13 March 2013 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Was the original UV mapped before you started copying it?

How did you generate the copies?

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 13 March 2013 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-02

There is no original mjc1016, the mesh has been generated outside of Hexagon and has no mapping, I wish to unwrap one and then transfer the same uv map to all the others.

Posted: 13 March 2013 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

OK…let me get this straight…

You have a single object, that hasn’t been mapped, but there are 900 copies of it, each copy being an individual object on its own…and no UV mapping.

There’s no easy way to do that…maybe no way to actually do it at all.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 13 March 2013 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  257
Joined  0

If you uv’d one and the other copies are exact duplicates the map should work for all. screen shots of the uv field and what you are doing would be helpful, no material zones? doesnt matter where the mesh comes from

Posted: 13 March 2013 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
dot_bat - 13 March 2013 02:28 PM

If you uv’d one and the other copies are exact duplicates the map should work for all. screen shots of the uv field and what you are doing would be helpful, no material zones? doesnt matter where the mesh comes from

If they are set up as a group of objects or as parts of another object, short of doing something to each copy, it’s not going to work. 

In most apps…

You can create an object and copy it…then create a UV map for the ‘original’.  IF you haven’t saved out/reloaded the copies or used whatever option your app uses to make virtual copies ‘real’ they’ll be using that UV map…but if you’ve done that, then no, you’ll need to map each one or replace it with the mapped one Of course, creating copies of a mapped object creates mapped copies.

If the copies were created in Hex and aren’t being loaded as individual objects or anything…yeah, it might be possible.  But if they weren’t or they are being loaded as individual objects, then no…not easily. UV Mapper (Pro or Classic) would be able to do it…but it would have to be done 899 times.

Personally, I think it would be quicker/easier to map 1 and then just go ahead and recreate the other 899 copies.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 13 March 2013 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-02

In Hex I am able to unwrap all or groups by just working with one and using pins, it results in lots of tiny flat uvs all the same shape but at different angles, this would not be so bad if I was dealing with a few as the uvs could be easily sized and rotated into the same or similar position good enough for my needs any way, unfortunately, I have many and am trying to avoid a tedious task smile I am looking at other software, it is possible Blender might be able to do it, I am not a user as such , but will have a go thanks chaps.

Posted: 13 March 2013 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2006-11-17
TapiocaTundra - 13 March 2013 12:24 PM

I was wondering what methods are used for transferring or copying a uv. map from one object to multiple other objects obviously with the same mesh type?
thanks.

Use blender:-

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Textures/Mapping/UV/Layout_Management

Posted: 13 March 2013 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10
TapiocaTundra - 13 March 2013 12:24 PM

Hi Hexagoners

thanks.

If there is, I hope there is, I cannot find it.  That would be VERY cool though.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 14 March 2013 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-02

Just to let you know chaps
I did have success. The Blender route I was looking at works very well, in fact it did it so silently I had to take a double check to make sure all the objects had the uv map transferred to them. Some of you will know that I have been playing with plants, custom for Bryce really, I had a grass generator for some time,it does not use any mapping, it is very old, I wanted to improve on its output “uv maps” so that I could use a procedural parametric material or an image.
Steve athome posted a link above “thanks” to the Blender manual page explaining how it is done.

Here is a test in Bryce

Image Attachments
uv.png

Posted: 14 March 2013 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Aah - the penny drops!

Nicely done:)

Steve, if you are watching, mayhap you know how to do this in UU3D - I see a function to copy the map, but not how to transfer to a copy of the mesh.

Posted: 15 March 2013 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2006-11-17
Roygee - 14 March 2013 10:41 PM

Steve, if you are watching, mayhap you know how to do this in UU3D - I see a function to copy the map, but not how to transfer to a copy of the mesh.

Hi Roygee,

You can save the UV map with:- “File-> Export-> UVSet”

Create new scene load mesh to transfer UV to, then “File-> Import-> UVSet”

I have not found a way to transfer a UV map from one loaded object to a second(or multiple) loaded object(s), when in same scene, as you can do in blender.  (The “2D -> “Copy UVSets / Swap UVSet” are only to move/tranfer the UVs between “UV set 1” and “UV set 2”)

Posted: 15 March 2013 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

Thanks, Steve - laborious, but does work - good to know if in a pinch:)

Posted: 16 March 2013 01:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  189
Joined  2003-10-09

UV Mapper works pretty good for this as well. But not multiple objects at the same time I’m afraid.
Just save down the UVS data and the import it again to the new mesh.

Signature 

Renderosity. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=29771

Rendo Freebies. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=ghostman

RDNA http://www.runtimedna.com/Ghostman/

1 of 3